Vanguard News

Considering f13 was the first to release the then "rumor" of the buyout and subsequent "cold hearted" firing of Sigil employees, as well as the interview with the anonymous ex-employee, I figured it was just a matter of time before they got an interview with Brad himself.

I think I'm pretty much done with Vanguard now. Not really because of SOE or anything, but I'm having too much fun with DragonRealms and here at HH/HJ. I don't see myself ever getting the urge to return either. Perhaps in a few years, but I doubt it.

My oh my...

Well, it has happened before, and will happen many more times I am sure. It's sad that it was this company, but many companies have gone through this. A project flops and, in the business, that means extreme debt.

..Who was it that said games need to be more willing to stick their necks out? Because I think what we see here is the perfect example of why more companies don't take chances.

I think I'm pretty much done with Vanguard now. Not really because of SOE or anything, but I'm having too much fun with DragonRealms and here at HH/HJ. I don't see myself ever getting the urge to return either. Perhaps in a few years, but I doubt it.

After seeing all this, I begin to wonder if there will be a Vanguard around in a few years. Though I suppose if Shadowbane is still in existance (tanked for a different set of reasons, though), VG might still be.

..Who was it that said games need to be more willing to stick their necks out? Because I think what we see here is the perfect example of why more companies don't take chances.

I think they should take chances. Thing is, it should be done tactfully and with proper awareness of what's going on in their company, and address the issues that go on in all aspects ASAP.

If I could say one thing to Brad that would sum up my feelings on the matter, it would have been this: "Learn from the past, don't glorify it."

The problem with Vanguard wasn;t that it took chances and failed, it was that the entire upper management has no clue how to run a business.

Here here. And how is Shoskal going to indirectly kill you if you're not in DR? ;)

That interview with Brad made me sad. I'm not sure if I'm caught up in the spin or not, but I've always liked Brad. He's very personal and open. I can't imagine what it must be like to be in the position of one of the founders of the game and company, watching this happen. Yeah I'd cry too ;.;

I'd like to say it's a good game and I have hope for it but truely I can't. It's flavorless, almost formless. It's a confused game. If asked "Who is Vanguard for? Who would like Vanguard?" I can't give my solid opinion because it seems to have flaws for any sort of gamer. It tried to please to many, and in the end pleased no one fully. Certain things are fun (Loved Diplo, good gracious I hope they kept a chunk of the diplo team), liked some of the classes and combat but wasn't really impressed by it. Crafting was ... innovative I suppose I'll say. It was a different approach. Harvesting was bleh, they should have made it much more involved but didn't. Quests and lore had their moments but for the most part were hidden and never actually shown in the daily going ons of Telon's people (not that the people did anything other than stand there). Nothing really stand out in my mind and says "This is Vanguard! This is what it's about!" and I think in such a flooded market you have to be clear on some level about who you appeal to or you just get lost in the muck.

It was a terrible -terrible- time to launch too. Same time as Burning Crusade, just months before LoTRO. Even a well polished totally finished game would have had a hard time competing in those few months.

I think Brad's Vision(tm) went too big for a starter company. If anything it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. If SOE can hold onto Matrix Online and EOA I suppose they can continue with Vanguard, no matter how it flags or where it goes.

Shadowbane is completely free, but there are very few playing still.... its mostly just the huge alliances mowing over everyone... which is a shame, i really enjoyed the race and class selections/customizations.... If it hadnt been for the PVP gankfest, it'd have been a great PVE game (if it had more content put in)

the mechanics of the flying races, and runspeed of the minos and cents, and the way the skill tree worked, it was all designed very well... but the pvp ruined it for me.

Shadowbane is free to play now if I remember right. Or it's free but a small fee?

Anyhow...

It is free to play now, even with the expansion and reworked maps. I play every so often on Mourning still, the unoffical RP server. Fantastic stuff, and probably the best free MMO out there. They tried but the technology just moved quicker than they did. Lesson learned for all.
BTW, I loved the open PvP. It fit so well with the open class system. Just cuz I'd shock people when they'd group jump a lone mino with 500 str and barbarian rage. MUHAHAHAHA! Yeah the classes were completely open to make so folks -----ed about builds, copy cat builds, and what not but truth was you could take advantage of any one class in that game at least a dozen ways. Perfect system for me.

I've been messing around in the Mourning server, but haven't seen much role playing going on yet.

It was a very well made game. Bring the graphics up to date, make it so those chair can be sat in, put in mounts, and bring in a way to make it harder for people to monopolize the entire world and it would be the perfect game in my opinion! However..It was my first mmorpg and that makes it so it will always hold a place in my heart.

Back