Vanguard

"Vanguard: Saga of Heroes was recently profiled in the New York Times with some interesting quotes from Sigil co-founder and executive producer Brad McQuaid. "People ask me, 'are you launching a finished game?' and the answer is 'no, we're launching a game that is good enough to launch, but it's not finished.' And that's why I love these games: because they should never be finished."" - Gamespy Article

Don't cha love public relations?

Vanguard - The Anti Review

I am about to set foot into Vanguard for the first time. I started downloading the client files early last night for a free trial subscription... They were still not done downloading 12 hours later. (I have a very fast connection).

I expect plastic looking textures, an empty, lifeless world, difficult leveling, poor character creation system, and out of proportion art assets.
Edit: Oh.. and lots of bugs.

Still - I want to see it all for myself, even if I don't really plan to pay for the game.

So I'm totally trying to install the updates so perhaps I can try Vanguard, but it's going to take 2 1/2 HOURS.................................

I figured I should try it before I can say I don't like it, but apparently it might be too late for that!

That was hilarious. Sorry to say, lovers of Vanguard, I have to agree with him.
It's one of those games we (our gamer group) consider a 5-er. Means it's not worth a box fee at all but it is worth mmaaayyybe $5 bucks a month subscription fee or less.

So I'm totally trying to install the updates so perhaps I can try Vanguard, but it's going to take 2 1/2 HOURS.

I bet it took a lot longer than that. I think my final time to DL was about 18 hours... The patcher gave me an estimated time of 4 hours or less that whole time, though.

I started running around as a Wood Elf Rogue. It definitely reminds me a lot of EQ so far, as it should, considering who the creators are. I am having fun because it is new.. but I am sure that will wear off quickly.

I bet it took a lot longer than that. I think my final time to DL was about 18 hours... The patcher gave me an estimated time of 4 hours or less that whole time, though.

I started running around as a Wood Elf Rogue. It definitely reminds me a lot of EQ so far, as it should, considering who the creators are. I am having fun because it is new.. but I am sure that will wear off quickly.

You said you were doing a trial?

Is it the normal soe type of "Download 15-80 mb launcher and then patch"? (The way they did during the soe part of the beta)

If so I can see why the update took so long. The client is 20+ gig lol

You said you were doing a trial?

Is it the normal soe type of "Download 15-80 mb launcher and then patch"? (The way they did during the soe part of the beta)

If so I can see why the update took so long. The client is 20+ gig lol

Yes... Exactly. Apparently there is a Free Trial Demo for the released product.
I just ran SpaceMonger (great, free utility, btw) and it looks like it is taking up over 17 GB of space.

I've been playing a bit of Vanguard, and it's just blah to me.

It doesn't feel really challenging. Maybe I'm too hardcore. It's just boring. Although I do die a lot, I guess that brings me back down to a big old softie.

Been hanging in EQ and EQ2 this last week. There are some people that really enjoy VG, some that don't like it for various reasons.

Sony upping their all access pass cost has people deciding whether it's worth paying $30 a month for two games, one they don't play or play very little (VG). I find it amusing that Sony's email says they're raising the cost so they can provide better games like VG. Maybe they're hiring more people to finish VG. :smiley:

Back