Vanguard

The newest screens and footage of Vanguard I saw yesterday actually impressed me. My mind is changing back to wanting to play it. :D

I'll find the link later.

Vanguard is very good looking, and with flying mounts right out of the gate at game launch... so I hear :P I did pre-order two copies today, so it's on the verge of pulling me even more from HJ.

IMHO, all this early hype for HJ, and 6+ months after E3, and still barely any new info that can be seen as the type to hold someone's interest. And that is as a Hero's Council member. The ... emotion ... from Simu is just not there. No matter how the GM's try and hype it, I get this foreboding sense that they're putting on the best face they can since they can't do crud about Simu's lack of marketing.

<goes back to playing WoW>

lol I received 3 beta invites for this earlier this year.

My original opinion stands, however I might change it SLIGHTLY as they are trying to improve overly looks of the rather bland and empty world. But... they've yet to support dual core and have yet to optimize their graphics. And it's 21gig to install... ppfftt. My 300 gig is for better things ;)

Will we be buying it in this household (that's four computers, four gamers)... nope.

Now... if they offer it for 20 bucks and put it into Sony all game pass, we MIGHT consider it. For a month. lol

You're correct Seeria, they have yet to optimize it... but not just for dual/single core... but for much of anything. Is it stands now it doesn't run well on my 2.1GHz machine w/ an 128MB ATI & 1.5GB RAM. My machine isn't the lowest of the low-end, but...

Also, I have heard tale they will be adding it to Sony's StationPass, after all Sony is producing the game. It is still in beta, so many things are not yet optimized or set for the release of the game. yet.

hehehehe That's not lowest of the low. Btwn our family we've 3gig/3gig pro graphics machine and right down to a little 1.2gig/512mb with a 30 dollar nvidia haha That game can't run on anything but the top and only then when the server was under a 500 population.

Ah well

Well, today I got my very own beta invite to Vanguard. Out of the gate, they recommend a 2.4Ghz processor with 512MB RAM. I find it hard to believe people will have a fast processor and so little RAM, but I digress.

Since my BF hasn't played his account in a few weeks, I've got a few hours of updating ahead of me before I can play on my own account, and come up with a better opinion of the game.

Now I have Vanguard & WoW: Burning Crusade on pre-order... <waits semi-patiently for HJ>

For Fileplanet subscribers, the open beta for Vanguard starts today. I went ahead and paid the seven bucks to subscribe for the month to check it out. Now, I just have to wait for the 5.5 hour, 6.5 gig download. :: pace ::

heh

Make sure you're a NTFS drive. Use their download client. Do not run anything else during it. Do not surf the web. Basically, don't breath or the download corrupts. That was a major problem with the 2000 they invited over six months ago. Thankfully Sony came along and made a real download client.

Patching doesn't take too long, but you do have nearly 21 gigs of files to acquire before you can game.

Definitely test before you buy the game. Chances are, most of you can't run it anyhow.

Oh, last I checked, it still doesn't work with Vista.

Open beta about to hit. I'd love to hear what people who were not in closed-beta think of the game and performance.

If you're thinking of buying it, I HIGHLY recommend you do the open beta before spending non-refundable money. Will let you see if your machine can even run it (you need high of the highest to handle it).

Got ahold of a Retail Vista package today. LoL Guess what!? It basically has XP with it so you can roll back and use XP drivers while everyone STILL works on Vista drivers. What a pisser.

I have had sooo many driver and compatibility issues with Vista. I left Vista on one of my dev machines, but I recently formatted my Gaming machine and went back to XP Pro.. at least for the next 6-12 months.

Yeah I got given a RTM copy of Vista at the launch to business last year and I haven't bothered running it yet.

My take on Vanguard after a week

THey are planning on releasing this at the end of the month.

Biggest mistake Sigil could ever make.

Performance is iffy at best....I ugraded to a X1650 Pro with 512 MB to go with 2 gig ram to test this thing out since it was unplayable except at the lowest possible settings with my GeForce 5950. Now I can run it at balanced and not get lagged out except around town.

Graphics are so so IMHO, sort of washed out but maybe that's the WoW aftereffects hitting me.

Quests are basically the same as WoW/EQ quests, with better window dressing. Crafting is a huge huge grind (think EQ2 at launch) and the items you make don't match the icons they've put with them. (Like a swatch of cloth to represent a cloth tunic) Diplomacy is a dumbed down version of Magic the Gathering.

Then there are the bugs. Tonight, the client crashed three times, my crafter can't advance in his craft and my diplomat can't advance either since his quest line is bugged.....at the very first quest!

Targetting is terrible and when I have to click on a door to open it but it doesn't open....well I just run right through it because it actually is open, but it doesn't come through on the client.

Another feature that is screwy is when you group to do quests, but when a group member say frees a brownie (fun quest otherwise) only they get credit. And you have to free 15 of them so if you have a group of three of four and there are a couple of other groups in the area doing the quest as well....well, you can see the problem.....it's cutthroat time.

Character models are okay....at a high quality setting, which most people aren't going to be running unless they are masochistic. At lower settings, my grandson;s PlayDoh creations have more appeal.

To sum it up....save your money, especially if you already have a copy of EQ2. You're not going to find that much new and at least EQ2 has had some time to work on the bugs.

WoW has nothing to fear from this one.

P.S. I'm not writing this to bash Vanguard. I just feel that this game had potential, but it needs a few more months of polish. Once it goes live, I'll let the crowds have at it and sit back and wait for the flame wars to die down. After that, if it looks like they've polished it up and nothing else comes out in the meantime that grabs my interest, then I might check it out.....like when they start giving away the free one month trials.

Til then, I'll go back to testing LoTRO. Maybe I can actually use my account since my wife is in the Vanguard beta too.

Hope this helps, folks.

Edit - I should have mentioned I got into beta through the FilePlanet setup. Sort of the pre-open open beta.

I tried the beta as well, but my poor machine barely handles it even on the very lowest settings, and then not well enough to actually do anything. It even las during character creation. Could be my connection as well, sort of spotty sometimes. Thanks for the advice, I think I shall wait as well.

Is LOTRO as technologically demanding?

It's a real pity VG is so crappy, it had a good backstory, it had good designers (though you wouldn't know it from the game world haha).

We're doing a pool here on whether it's launch is as bad as the Shadowbane launch.

LoTR is easy on the low end system, Percy. You will get lag in places like Bree (the main city which also houses the MP entry). You might get some lag in large battles. Over all, our lowest system here does well on it (1.2gig half a gig of ram fx5200 card).

Btw, if you haven't seen original EQ lately, you should. The revamps are really rather amazing (even if the game is still boring).

Thanks. My system is 2.8 gigs with 1 gig of memory and fx5200, should be able to handle it, as long as my internet connection isn't going buggy...:smiley:. LOTR does look rather stunning.

I wasn't overly impressed with the little I saw of Vanguard, though my settings were of course less than optimal.

I've been outta the loop the past few weeks but is this still planning on a next tuesday launch date? Haven't heard or saw anything different so figured I'd ask.

Yup, release on the 30th, Cordy.

Beta ends on the 23rd. Guess they need a week to prepare their obituaries and/or book their flights to parts unknown (book a week in advance and they can get cheaper tickets).

I'm running an Athlon 3400 with 2 gigs ram and an ATI x1650 with 512 megs ram. Ran into Khal last night (a city area) and my FPS dropped to 4-5. And that was on their balanced settings.

Game has potential but I think it's going to have some real serious growing pains for a while.

Back