Vanity Fair

You can find the trailer here.

Synopsis: The new film version of the classic novel by William Makepeace Thackeray centers on Rebecca Sharp (Reese Witherspoon). Born into the lower class, Becky must rely heavily on her wit, guile, and sexuality as she makes her way up through London high society circa 1820.

It's done by Focus Features. I'm addicted to Focus movies - they've all been so good!

I'm very excited to see this one! Plus the book is absolutely wonderful!

Ah! I saw the trailer for this yesterday and I really can't wait to see this - I love period pieces like this.

I need to read the book first. ^_^

it seems to have a really good cast in addition to reese; like all the supporting actors and stuff seem to have been very well cast.

I need to read the book too....im guessing its not quite the pride and predjudice style period piece where every1 lives happily ever after....right?

Not since Kill Bill 2 and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind have I been this looking forward to a movie opening... :D

Cannot wait. I think it's coming out in October or September.

Whoa. Triple post after almost two months ... :blink:

Saw this today and I was a little worried about the mixed reviews that it has been getting, but I personally loved it. Great acting and lots of sharp wit. (y)

Oh, and James Purefoy? :thud: I have a new English lust love. :love:

I loved the book, so I'm interested to see how faithfully the move captures the feel and themes of the book. Gonna have to get my girl possie together to watch this and make a night of it.

hotpot said:
Whoa. Triple post after almost two months ... :blink:

Saw this today and I was a little worried about the mixed reviews that it has been getting, but I personally loved it. Great acting and lots of sharp wit. (y)

Oh, and James Purefoy? :thud: I have a new English lust love. :love:
[post="988707"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

James Purefoy. :thud: No words needed, just look at him.

As for the movie, I loved it until the last 20 minutes. The ending seemed too rushed for me...I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet so...

I wish that it had ended more like the book, i.e. not happily. The story didn't seem right with a happy ending for her...and it wasn't like the book. That was the only thing that disappointed me

Yeah, I haven't read the book yet. I bought it, but still haven't got to it.

I think that is making or breaking some people's opinion of the movie (how far it deviates from the book), but it was not a factor for me.

Alias Anna said:
and it was just like gone with the wind! :blink:
[post="989119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:lol:

Yeah, towards the end when she was screaming for Crowley not to leave her (who wouldn't? :love: , that reminded me of GwtW, but I'm not seeing any other similarities. Were there more that I didn't pick up on? :thinking:

I want to see it but the boyfriend doesn't want to see it with me. >.< Even though it's free! >.<

Gotta see if Helen wants to go. If not, I'm going by myself.

Oh, and James Purefoy... yum. I remember him from A Knight's Tale and Resident Evil. He was deliciously evil in RE.

hotpot said:
:lol:

Yeah, towards the end when she was screaming for Crowley not to leave her (who wouldn't? :love: , that reminded me of GwtW, but I'm not seeing any other similarities. Were there more that I didn't pick up on?  :thinking: 
[post="990737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

oh yes there are...

think about it... her personality... her marrying and/or flirting w/ men for her own benefit... the war... her not loving the child all that much... her losing her husband... her ideal friend...

Alias Anna said:
oh yes there are...

think about it... her personality... her marrying and/or flirting w/ men for her own benefit... the war... her not loving the child all that much... her losing her husband... her ideal friend...
[post="991404"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ahhhh -
Forgot about the war and Amelia/Melanie part, but didn't Scarlett come from a wealthy family and then they lost it all? Good call on the others, it's been a loooong time since I've seen Gone with the Wind. :smiley:

Oh, and James Purefoy... yum. I remember him from A Knight's Tale and Resident Evil. He was deliciously evil in RE.
Oooo, I must see that next. I do remember him in a Knight's Tale now that I think about it - that was the movie the fiance and I saw on our first date, maybe that's why I was a bit distracted! :lol:

Back