Vaughn - is his character lacking?

Well, I discovered that there were no Vaughn forums yet, so I decided to create one! And here's the big question:

Is Vaughn too 'soft'?????

I am a big fan of him and the VSR, but I have to admit, I think his character is a little weak. I just don't see him as a take-charge guy (with the exception of the watch scene in Passage) like Will has been this season. Sure, Vaughn broke into the Vatican with Syd, but that was in response to her asking - he didn't initiate the mission.

And what's with Vaughn always being sick and in trouble?!?! This season he's already almost drowned an almost died from some weird virus. I realize that these situations have caused the VSR to progress, but I would really like to see Syd in major trouble and have Vaughn bail her out. That would push along the S/V ship, plus, we would get to see brave!Vaughn!! And I'm all for that!!

Anyway, that's just my opinion. What do you think?

he needs to show sydney that he can be boss and take her on a lovely date after killing alice first
can we really?!? kill alice I mean.... :lol: :devil:
okei...maybe not...
I don't think that he's too soft...remember all the 'balls of steel' scenes from the first season, and he did volunteer to go with Syd to Taipai...he figured out where should would be when no one else could find her...
also, the fact that Syd usually has to bail him out is only coz she has more training in the field than him...and i'm sure this whole gender-reversal angle attempt to be modern ploy on behalf of the writers plays a role in this...
but I don't think he's too soft, so to speak...he just knows when not to push...usually...and in regards to the whole VSR thing....Syd hasn't exactly taken any initiative either...the ball's been in his court the whole time...
Ciao! :angelic:

I have a kind of random question...but it is relating to Vaughn, so maybe someone can help me out with it. Does anyone know if the character's first name was always going to be Micheal or did they change it at the last minute? B/C I was watching the first ep the other night and I noticed that Vaughn's nameplate on his desk says "C. Vaughn" and it's been bugging me ever since! Anyone know?

Wow syd4747, I have no idea! That's a really good question, sorry I don't have an answer! Hopefully someone else can clarify the subject for us!

Well, in reply to my own comments from Dec. 7, it seems that Vaughn may be growing a bit of a spine!!! I wanted to see him have to bail Syd out and guess what! He did (kinda)! I loved the way he took charge in Passage II and went to India to save the Bristows -brave!Vaughn rules!!! :D And Syd's smile when he showed up in the chopper was priceless ^_^

On the whole VSR thing, I agree that the ball has been in his court the whole time, and I must admit that this season he really is stepping up and acting on those feelings (the watch, the tix). On the other hand, we have the whole Alice situation, which I am still extremely curious about! What the heck is going on there?! :confused: I wouldn't mind if more comes about with Alice, I just want to know what it is!

That's about all I have to say right now....Adios!

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii know
hahahaha
his middle initial on the show is c
so, its Michael C. Vaughn
i've been trying forever to figure it out
maybe!!!!

Well, Vaughn has saved Syd a LOT in season 1. It's just her turn this season. Maybe in the next ep, Vaughn will go to save her! ^_^

well I feel his character is perfect for his part, not to soft not to harsh except in his relationship with Sydney ,tell her damn it

I think Vaughn can be a good character, in the right scriptwriting hands. Sometimes he is too soft IMO but I like to think there are reasons JJ just isn't talented enough to tell us about. :D

I think that some people under estimate Vaughn. He, I think has rision to the acation many times. He has saved/ helped Sydney and Jake so many times I can't even count how many times. He seems to be more soft and quiter around Sydney but I think that he is still a strong character. I agree his character is perfect for him :smiley:.

Well, I really like Vaughn's character - he's a nice guy with moral standards. I just think that he needs to be a bit more assertive *cough* *Syd* *cough*

I like the way he has stood up to Jack this season, what with the whole Madagascar situation. Still, something is missing. I really want him to tell Syd what's really going on with Alice - even if she doesn't want to hear it, I think he should insist on telling her (because you know that it is not what Syd thinks!).

I agree, alias: coffee, that Syd deserves better than a cocky jerk, so in that case, Vaughn is perfect for her.

Lastly, I think that Vaughn needs a more vital role in more missions - his character would be that much stronger, plus, I always like seeing him in action! :P

I think Vaughn needs to take control of his relationship with Syd man. Get rid of the Malice, kick her to the curb and either deal with his feelings for Syd head-on, and not drag down two girls with him. Come on, are we just going to put up with constipated looks and forehead wrinkles for the next year or so? Take some action, buddy!

freelancer638 said:
Well, I really like Vaughn's character - he's a nice guy with moral standards. I just think that he needs to be a bit more assertive *cough* *Syd* *cough*

Lastly, I think that Vaughn needs a more vital role in more missions - his character would be that much stronger, plus, I always like seeing him in action! :P
Definitely agree!!!! Vaughn should be able to go on more missions and get some kick-ass scenes! I would love to see him and Syd on missions together regularly - and more action! :P

LOL. Thanks for agreeing w/ me freelancer638.:D

I know I agree w/ you guys about him being involed w/ more action...;), but about him kicking Alice to the curb? I don't like Alice either, but if Syd and MV get together, its going to kill the tension. I'd rather have MV to myself.;)

alias: coffee said:
LOL. Thanks for agreeing w/ me freelancer638.:D

I know I agree w/ you guys about him being involed w/ more action...;), but about him kicking Alice to the curb? I don't like Alice either, but if Syd and MV get together, its going to kill the tension. I'd rather have MV to myself.;)
Hi guys,
So Alias: Coffee ,not a S/V shipper?
It's not going to kill the tension!It will still be here but in a different way!

Does Syd know what kind of actions and risks Vaughn takes for her? IIIIIIII dunno. I think not. If he can't describe it. He should show it. There have been many times when Syd missed Vaughn's kung foo or sharp shootin or hand cuffing Sark (now who'd wanna miss that? ;) ) The bottom line is, Vaughn has got to start showing off!!!

SouthernGal said:
freelancer638 said:

Definitely agree!!!! Vaughn should be able to go on more missions and get some kick-ass scenes! I would love to see him and Syd on missions together regularly - and more action! :P
I agree w/ u guys. It would be cool if Vaughn went on missions and stuff but he's a handler. I can't wait 'till S/V admit their feelings. (y)

he has to be softer around syd, bc she needs someone gentle in her life. this is the reason why syd like vaughn and not sark ^_^ i think he should tell her, but maybe its good he's taking his time bc she's probably not ready. i think vaughn can kick butt, as he's shown us, but i think he should get more field time. i don't think he needs to save her or she needs to save him-- i think they need more missions where they work as a team. recently its been alot of vaughn sends her off and she does her thing

fledermaus said:
he has to be softer around syd, bc she needs someone gentle in her life. this is the reason why syd like vaughn and not sark  ^_^ i think he should tell her, but maybe its good he's taking his time bc she's probably not ready. i think vaughn can kick butt, as he's shown us, but i think he should get more field time. i don't think he needs to save her or she needs to save him-- i think they need more missions where they work as a team. recently its been alot of vaughn sends her off and she does her thing
i TOTALLY agree... :D :woot:

Back