Season 4 Vaughn was working for Sloane all along

jedilaw

Cadet
Crazy? Perhaps, but consider:

1) Sloane knew for quite a while that JB and SB were double agents. He typed a message to the Alliance, revealing just that, but deleted it.

2) As season 2 showed, Sloane was not loyal to the alliance, and in fact was looking for weaknesses that would allow him to bring the whole thing down at a time and in a manner of his choosing. Having Vaughn on the inside would have helped.

3) If Vaughan worked for Sloane, he might have known to be on the look out for Sydney as a "walk in" and to volunteer as her handler.

4) It's quite possible Sloane expected Sydney to defect after Danny's death. Logic would dictate that her loyalty to SD-6 is gone, and it's obvious the Alliance thought the same way (hence the hit they put on her in the garage in episode 1).

5) With Vaughn on the inside, handling Sydney, Sloane would be able to exert at least indirect influence on the counter-ops that Sydney ran. Given how season 2 played out, it's very possible that all of Sydney's counter-ops ultimately worked to Sloan's advantage.

6) Vaughn is the only person who is in Sydney's personal circle and hasn't lost anything to Sloane. Dixon lost his wife (Maureen?) Jack lost Irina, at least for a while. Sydney lost Danny. Vaughn lost?

Am I 100% convinced? Not at all. After all, I walked out of the Matrix Reloaded with all kinds of cool speculations about what they were going for with the third film (I was thinking Matrix-within-a-Matrix, due to Neo's powers against those Squiddies at the end), none of which came to pass. So I have no reason to think that my twist (which I think would be a real kick in the teeth) is the one JJ is planning.

My theory does nothing to explain why Vaughan was looking for his dad, if he wasn't really Vaughn. He may well be a Vaughn, just not Michael Vaughan. I haven't been this annoyed with JJ since the season 2 finale.

Edit: Their names are "Vaughn" and "Sloane."

Hmmm?? Here's a thought.
I'm not 100% sure but I think that Sloane knew Bill Vaughn
because I remember that guy Brill knew him.
What if Sloane got MV to work for him knowing that he was
BV's son and also already in place in the CIA??
As you said, he knew Sydney would eventually go to the CIA.
Sloane could have convinced MV that it was the Alliance that
killed his father and that was his reason for working with Sloane to
bring down the Alliance. He was out for revenge for his fathers death
just like Syd getting revenge for Danny. Like Syd, he thought he was
doing something good but really he was doing Sloane's dirty work.
In the end, it turns out that they were both lied to and used by Sloane.
What do you think??

ohh boyyy..... i hope Vaughn didn't work for sloane cuz Syd will be pissed!! :( and might just break off the wedding! :eek: that can NEVER happen!!!! *takes deep breath*

Here's my problem...Sidney HATES Sloane. She hates his decisions, his looks, and everything about him (except Nadia). And Vaughn said that his actions were bad only in how you look at it. He is not stupid (I am saying this loosely and disregarding season 3), why would he tell Sidney that only to then add that he has been working for Sloane. She wouldn't understand and would completely reject him, taking his actions as a personal betrayal. That's why i don't think he's working for Sloane. i personally think that he's working for Irina. What about his search for his father? What if Bill isn't dead and is also working with Irina? Vaughn could have gone on the "search for his father" not to find his father but to find out if they really knew his father was really alive and how they knew. irina could have placed him in the agency to watch over Sidney. This would explain his not so bad comment because Sidney would be able to understand Irina wanting to watch over her. Of course neither yours nor my scenarios take into consideration his statement that his name is not micheal vaughn. Though on a side note I will be seriously creeped out if they make him bill vaughn. (it's random and wierd but this is alias)

I agree that Sydney does hate Sloane and if she found out
that Vaughn was working for him with the same evil intentions
than she probably won't be able to forgive him.
That is why I said that maybe he was deceived like Syd into
believing that he was working to bring down the people that
killed this father. If she knew that his intentions weren't bad
I think it would be easier to forgive him.

As for the name change, I posted this thought in another topic.
I believe that who we know as Bill Vaughn and Michael Vaughn
are father and son. I think that the name "Vaughn" was an alias
for BV after took Nadia and hid her from Irina. Therefore also changing
his family's name as well. Back when Nadia was born, MV was very
young and has probably only know the name Vaughn.
This of course is just my opinion but I can't come up with any other logical
explaination for the name change because if only MV was an alias, that
doesn't explain his fathers name being Vaughn. It just doesn't make sense
that they would all the sudden have BV not be his father. Does that make any
sense???

I had this theory as well!

Sloane seems like an intelligent man, and believing that Syd would go back to work for SD-6 after what he did doesn't make any sense, so he hires Vaughn.

Also, Irina knew about Vaughn's actions, this is information she oculd have acquired from the affair with Sloane.

And notice how Vaughn isn't the best field agent...

:Ponder:

In a way yes, however it does beg the question why the CIA would overlook one of their operatives faking their own death and hiding someone (nadia)? Bill hid Nadia after he "died", if the timeline is to be believed (though I believe the only person we had that from was yelena and she is hardly sterling as an accurate story teller). Either way if bill were not bill, why would he change his family name while still staying with the CIA? Whatever the circumstances surrounding the name change, he would certainly be in more danger of his real name being uncovered by his enemies (or the CIa depending on your theory as to why he changed his name). *scratches head* It's just such a hard case really, the answers that make him good, don't fit completely (which is understandable since the story line was only born mid to late season) and the ones that do just aren't palatable. *shrugs* We'll just have to wait and see. But I personally still have my money on Vaughn working for Irina. Name change or no.

Jedilaw, this is so funny, this is EXACTLY what my theory was, EXACTLY what I used in my post-finale fic, Dear Tear.

Hopefully this means this is a plausible theory.

By the way, I really have trouble with the idea that Irina's affair with Sloane was any more recent than Nadia's conception. If (I said if) Irina was using sloane through Vaughn to track Sidney it was not through a twenty year old affair.

I haven't figured out the name issue yet. On the one hand, him not actually being Michael Vaughan could suggest he worked for Irina, perhaps to monitor and watch over Syd. After all, Irina having killed his "father" gives him great cover to work for Irina. Who would suspect it? Problem is, I just watched the first few episodes of Season 2 yesterday. Vaughan is clearly upset talking to Irina. And she's the first one to say "You look just like him," at least as far as I can recall. So that would suggest he wasn't working for her. Except...well, she asks him "How do you say thank you to the woman who killed your father?" and he replies "You don't." That could well have been a test. And she doesn't say he looks just like Bill, actually, she says "You look just like him." Now, that implicitly meant Bill Vaughan, since she had just referred to his death. But what if Irina had tested "Vaughan's" reaction, he passed, and then she told him on the way out that he looked just like "him," meaning the real Michael Vaughan? Grrr...

As for the Sloane theory, Syd's possible reaction is a definite issue. But she is more and more ambivalent about Sloane these days. After all, at the end of this episode, just before the Twist From Hell, Syd tells Sloane she knows he was trying to help. And, rationally, she's got to know that he had the chance to kill her several times, and didn't, and he actually saved her at least once (took a bullet in the gut on a mission to save her, that's got to count for something, doesn't it?) It still comes down to Danny, of course, since Sloane was the one who signed off on the hit...except...

WAIT! In the pilot, Sloane gets the call about Danny, then tells Jack "you know what you have to do." What if Sloane really meant for Jack to get Danny and Syd out of the country? And when Jack says "You know where my loyalties are" that could've been a reference to a covert angle Sloane and Jack were working. We all know those two have more history than any of the other characters, more even than Jack and Laura/Irina. It's very possible that Jack knew Sloane was playing the Alliance. Jack still had to be careful, as a double, but not because of Sloane: because of the Security Section of the Alliance. Remember, Jack doesn't find out about the Sloane/Irina affair until midway into Season 3.

Whew...a whole lot of maybe's flying around in the old noggin...

I think Sloane is still orchestrating everything. He pretended not to know who Sark was in S1. He didn't volunteer the info that Irina was still alive until Jack and Syd mentioned it. Irina thanked him for extracting her in S3(I think it was 3). When SD-6 was going down, he stole all the Rambaldi artifacts ahead of time. He is always one step ahead.

I'm glad that others are entertaining the possibilty that Vaughn has been Sloane's mole from the start. :cool:

Michael could have been assigned/tipped off by Sloane to watch for Sydney once she returned to work for SD-6 after her fiance Danny's death. Sure enough, Sloane anticipated what Syd would do, and had a mole in place at CIA ready to become her handler.

Michael could have agreed to supply counterintelligence to Arvin, having a deal that would take down SD-6 and the Alliance.

When APO was formed, Sloane was allowed to select his team. Arvin was familiar with Jack, Sydney and Dixon from working with them at SD-6. But why was Michael chosen by Sloane? Weiss would be about the same to Sloane as Mike, unless they already had a secret relationship?

Sloane could have confided that his Rambaldi gathering would bring world peace or at least keep the artifacts out of other's hands. That could be why Vaughn said it depends on how Sydney looks at things if he is a bad guy or not. Everyone believes Sloane was doing his own counter operation against Elena, now.

I'm wondering about Naughn's (Not-Vaughn) name change. He must be the son of Bill Vaughn, so that must mean that Bill changed the family name. I'd hate for him to be a Rambaldi. That would make the concept of him having children with the Chosen One evil, or at least icky. :P

I think this would be the perfect twist, since I haven't even entertained the thought of vaughn working with sloane. It would be a same if he was, he has always been the shoulder that sydney could lean on, if he is evil what will happen next. sydney needs to start having some good news coming her way.

I really doubt that Irina would have given Vaughn "permission" to marry Syd if she knew he was a bad guy. She said to Syd that she would see her on her wedding day, which I take as being that Vaughn's secret isn't as bad as we are being thought it to be.

I can entertain the notion that Vaughn worked - past tense - for Sloane at some stage. My question is when did he stop if he did though?

I can't believe that Michael would have worked for Irena though. Considering that she killed Bill, that would make him one hell of an actor all these years.

My question, after I got over the initial shock of that accident -- didn't it look and sound real? -- was WHY is Vaughn telling her NOW? Why wait til this moment, just before they are s'posed to get married?

All the theories about Vaughn and daddy are good, but WHAT IF he is actually SLOANE's son? Could Sloane have been married before his beloved (Amy Irving's character)? Maybe the Bill Vaughn story could've been a cover? Sloane has always loved Syd like a daughter; maybe he wanted her to be his daughter by marriage and arranged for son Michael to work for the CIA (as in other posts) to get them together? [/
SIZE]

There r soo many differnet ways this could turn out. This was one (Workin 4 Sloane) of the theroies I was thinking about. I don't think Vaughn was workin 4 Irina though. I belive somehow Yelena, Irina, BV,MV, and Nadia r all involved some way (I know obviuosly they r all connected) but does anyone think it is just a quincidence that S/V met and Syd's mom kills his dad who brought Sydney's sister(who was the woman who killed him mother) to her evil sister. :rolleyes:

It a world of Alias and there r sooo amy possiblities it is almost impossible to find out how it actually is played. As for his name it will probably end up being some russian name *sighs, Vaugh was such a good name* but 2 me he will always b Vaughn :P

well it´s a good theory,but one I hope that doesn´t turn out to be true cause if so, it would crash syd´s heart...I mean..vaughn is the one person she would rely on form the begginning..even Jack wasn´t realiable enough for her due to their realtionship and the fact that she never really knew him well.
I personally think that vaughn was a sort of bad boy that to escape prison was offered a deal to serve the CIA,and he took it.
anyway,,just my humble opinion.. ;)

Back