Verizon Union Strike of 2016

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Just an FYI that if I go quiet starting Sunday, August 1, 2015, that it is just a temporary thing! :barefoot:

I may or may not have to be on a temporary work assignment starting Sunday that would be remote (a few hundred miles from my house) and staying at a hotel. I'd have my mobile device with me but not my laptop and the work day hours will be long (12 hour days, no days off for up to two weeks at a time) so I'll likely won't be online much.

Everything should continue to hum along fine but just in case I'll be reaching out to a few people asking them to check in on the site in case something happens and I can't get to it.

And, yes, if anybody has been following US business news about a certain huge telecommunications company that may be dealing with a union strike in a few days, it is related to that. ;)

Took a long lunch at the local Costco to load up on cases of bottled water and snacks to last an expected few weeks of hotel living. If anybody looks in my truck at the moment they'd likely think that I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse or something. :zwtf:
So Kev not about, nudie photo time people!
Wait, would I be in the picture or the one taking the pictures? :whistle:

I was prepared, mentally and physically, to be traveling today for a few weeks of hard work but the union has ended up working without a contract instead of striking. This gives the union a slight advantage because by working without a contract it allows them to go on strike at any time without warning. By contrast if they were working as an extension to the existing contract they would have to give advance notice before striking. So for now everybody (non-union at least) is working as normal in our normal positions while at any moment we might get notice of having to travel if/when the union does strike.

Heck, I even got a 'buzz cut' so that I wouldn't be sweating as much like with longer hair. :D

Wow, nearly the end of September and the company is still negotiating with the unions with no end in sight! :eek: Those of us who are non-union and would fill in if/when the union goes in strike are still on on-call on a day-by-day basis meaning that we still might have to travel at a moments notice if/when the unions go on strike.

It's going to be time for another haircut soon.

Currently also not around as often, Rugby World Cup innit! Expect the Darkness to get knocked out in the quarters so after that will be cool, about a weeks time

If anybody has noticed I've been quiet lately, it's because of this...

36,000 Verizon workers go on strike

The non-union employees are being assigned to other positions and, for the foreseeable future, I'm doing 12 hour shifts at a location far from home. My last day off was April 10th (11th & 12 were regular work days, the 13th is when they went on strike). I'm tired and with so little free time that when I get home lately it's basically just enough time to say hello to Mrs. Kevin & Fuzzy Dog and then trying to get some sleep.

(Required Disclaimer: Anything I may write or say about Verizon, unions, or strikes is strictly my own personal opinions and is not on behalf of the company.)

I knew something happened to you.
You told us this could happen. Hopefully you are not all the way on the other side of the state.
Hope today is restful for you and things get sorted soon.
Strength to you

I'm still alive but barely online. :( I haven't touched my personal laptop at the house since April 12 (the night before the strike).

My day typically starts at 3:45AM, onsite at 6:00AM, work till 6:00PM, then back home about 7:15PM. I get to spend about an hour or so each night with Mrs. Kevin and Fuzzy Dog before it's time for sleep to start the next cycle.

On a 'normal' day there have been times when I went to bed around 3:45AM, not getting up(!) so it's I'm still getting used to it. On the plus side this is likely the most active I've been in years. :D

I'm still alive but barely online. :( I haven't touched my personal laptop at the house since April 12 (the night before the strike).

My day typically starts at 3:45AM, onsite at 6:00AM, work till 6:00PM, then back home about 7:15PM. I get to spend about an hour or so each night with Mrs. Kevin and Fuzzy Dog before it's time for sleep to start the next cycle.

On a 'normal' day there have been times when I went to bed around 3:45AM, not getting up(!) so it's I'm still getting used to it. On the plus side this is likely the most active I've been in years. :D

Yikes, that sounds exhausting. Hope things calm down eventually.

So, it looks like the strike may be over. Unofficially it looks like my life may be returning to normal next week but until an actual written agreement is in place then things can still change.

Back