Virginina Tech Shooting

Deadly shooting at US university

The campus has now been closed and students evacuated
At least 22 people have been killed and 21 more injured after a gunman went on the rampage at the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia, US.
Police say there were two separate shooting incidents - one at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a student dormitory, and Norris Hall, an engineering building.

The incidents were about two hours apart. Police say they believe there was one gunman and that he is dead.

The state university in the town of Blacksburg is home to 26,000 students.

"We have a ballpark figure on fatalities. It's at least 20 fatalities," Virginia Tech police chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Rescue hampered

Speaking at a news conference, Mr Flinchum said that emergency services had received a call at 0715 (1215 GMT) alerting them to a multiple shooting at West Ambler Johnston Hall.

He said that two hours later there was a second report of shooting, this time at Norris Hall.

A fleet of ambulances has ferried the injured to nearby hospitals however, rescue efforts were reportedly hampered by high winds which meant that medical helicopters could not be used.

Mr Flinchum said that police believed there had been just one shooter involved and that he was now dead at Norris Hall.

He said it was unclear if the assailant was a student, but said that a number of the victims were.

"Some of the victims were shot in a classroom," Mr Flinchum said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said, adding that the university was in the process of informing the next of kin of those killed.

Mr Steger said that officials were in the process of evacuating remaining students and staff from campus and that the university was now closed.

that's really sad and makes me feel sad for the familes of the dead and of the assalient.
Discuss your thoughts.
Nads :cry:

Wow. :cry: My thoughts and prayers are with these families, as well as other students at other colleges. This is really sad and should not have ever happened. It's sad to see people bringing guns and things to places and starting to shoot people.

It's a tragedy, and my thoughts are with everyone at Virginia Tech -_-

Things need to change, this has to stop happening.

That's terrible :( My prayers are with the students and families.

But, like Jamison said, things REALLY need to change. How many shootings has that been this year? I live in Canada and there have been a few here, plus in the States... its unacceptable. Something has to be done or else things are only going to get worse. It seems like people are turning Before the Flood-like all of a sudden.

it seems like just yesterday that there was nickel mines (amish shooting) and september 11th and so many others...it's a daily occurance. but i was reading on the news, those teachers died because they shoved themselves in front of their students...one of them was a Holocaust survivor, imagine what it must be like to survive something like that and than to die...it's so tragic...but something should have been done. like shutting down the campus and locking everyone in a room to keep them safe. and something like september 11th or before the flood is going to happen, and maybe that what's it will take for us to realize that the world needs to straigten up, which is sad because we shouldn't need a massacre for that. it's almost like something bad needs to happen and we realize what we have become. i was reading how he had probably planned this on dateline, and i had to turn it off, it's so sad listening to all the stories and the videos and pictures. they make me sick. they were innocent and now 33 families have to deal with funeral arrangements that should have 80 more years of life.

Nads :blink:

Friday, 20 April 2007 is Orange and Maroon day. Virginia Tech asks if everyone around the country could sport those colours, Virginia Tech's school colours, for obervance.

Yes very sad, I too said many prayers for the victims and families. The stories that were told were horrible. If you heard about the professor who, blocked the doorway and gaurded it to provide his students escape from the window. He saved almost everybody in his class. A true hero. Lots of other situations similar to that, but I read about that one online today. Very, very sad indeed.

I know, and he was a holocaust survivor too. how horrible...i'm especially praying for the family of the shooter, his family has to deal with the death of not only their son, but the 32 victims that died and however many else were injured. :cry:

Nads

Hey, since I write poetry, this one just came to me after this incident, so I made it into a song as well, it's called Harmonia and it's dedicated to the victims of the Virginia Tech shooting, you can hear it too:

link

Back