Vista

So I built a new computer. I put 64-bit Vista on it. I don't like Vista. The computer feels really slow, and it shouldn't. It kind of hitches whenever doing things for a second.

I've disabled the UAC, stopped the auto defragmenting, and turned off windows defender. I have a good unobtrusive anti-virus (NOD32), and use other spyware protection (spybot and such).

The computer gets a 5.9 rating for the vista rating thingy.

Specs are these:

AMD Phenom 9950 (haven't overclocked yet, will probably do to about 3.0)
8 GB RAM (hence 64-bit Vista)
GeForce GTX 260
I have a good PSU, and the motherboard is awesome (<3 GIGABYTE!). I have a 1 TB harddrive, one of the Seagate barracuda I think.

I guess I can try updating the BIOS. I read somewhere that some motherboards slow down Vista a bit.

Does anyone here use Vista and have any other suggestions to possibly making it a bit faster? Otherwise I'll have to try to find a 64-bit copy of XP (they stopped selling it didn't they? :( )

There are a number of performance tweaks I've done to speed up my Vista Gaming PC. I strive for a no frills OS /w everything geared toward running the game at its highest performance level.

The main one was turning off unnecessary Windows Services.
If you don't specifically need it - turn it off.
There are a number of guides out there:
Here is one: http://www.speedyvista.com/services.php

Make a file listing which services you modify and what modification you make, in case you need to revert at some point or have issues.

Misc performance tweaks:
Search | com.com
Speed Up Windows Vista - ExtremeTech
Beginners Guides: 99 Performance Tips and Tweaks for Windows - PCSTATS.com
Windows Vista: Performance Tweaks - Speed up Windows Vista - Tweak Vista

Try XP 64... always been faster for me. Did they stop selling it? I dunno... My work has an enterprise agreement with MS which means any employee gets a free home-use license for every work license we use. So I get free microsoft stuff.

I use Vista 64 with Aero and am fine with it - it seems responsive and fast to me. I haven't done many Tweaks, that i could recommend, besides killing UAC and a few Services. I did use vLite though - to remove just about everything...

vLite allows you to customize your Installdvd, so that you can avoid ever installing Stuff that you'll never use anyway (like Speechrecognition or Support for strange Things). To benefit from the Capabilities of vLite, you'd obviously have to reinstall, though.

Specifically what party of the vista performance index is getting a low rating? It should rate CPU, video, ram, and hard drive speed all separately then merges it into one number. Whatever is listed the lowest is probably the problem. When I had vista one of my ram DIMMs was faulty and was really screwing stuff up and I would get the blue screen of death once in awhile. After I fixed that my rateing went up over 10 I think. I still went back to xp though since I liked it much much better. XP + windows blinds and object desktop = better than vista graphics and better performance.

Specifically what party of the vista performance index is getting a low rating? It should rate CPU, video, ram, and hard drive speed all separately then merges it into one number. Whatever is listed the lowest is probably the problem. When I had vista one of my ram DIMMs was faulty and was really screwing stuff up and I would get the blue screen of death once in awhile. After I fixed that my rateing went up over 10 I think. I still went back to xp though since I liked it much much better. XP + windows blinds and object desktop = better than vista graphics and better performance.

There is no low rating. They are all at 5.9 (which is apparently the max, so however you got to 10 is beyond me. :P )

SP1 seemed to make a difference though, it's a lot better.

i never seen a 5.9 for a score.

I got a beefed up system and it runs awesome. And i am using McAfee on it Enterpise edition of it.

Do you have ultimate? They have an awesome Resouce Monitor on it that is VERY detailed. Bring open the Task Manager and click on the performance tab..should be a button for resource manager.

see what your bottle neck is or what is taxing what. It says what processes hitting your harddrives also breaks out, network, CPU, ram and such.

GOOOOD STUFF

Oh.. well it's been a long time since I had it and I only had it a short time. I think now that I look at this my graphics where both 5.9, my ram was 5.2, my processor was 5.2 and my HD was 5 I think.

If you have all 5.9 then I don't see how you could be having problems. It worked flawlessly and fast on mine, I jsut didn't like it because of all of the annoying "for noobs" features and the fact that even though I get 4gb of ram being able to be used instead of 3.25 in xp... vista also uses like 1.5gb of my ram where xp uses like 500mb or less.

It's really much better now. I'll take a screenshot of the 5.9 score for you guys.

It sucks that you have to tweak your OS to make it better, I'd think they would have optimized it previously for you.

Back