Vote For The First AllAlias Book Club Selection!

What book would you like to be the first book the AllAlias book club reads and discusses? Only one v

• A Child Called It (ages 13 and over)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Lovely Bones

• A Tale of Two Cities

• The Princess Bride

• A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing

• Sloppy Firsts

• One for the Money (ages 13 and over)

• A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

• Speak (ages 13 and over)

• Go Ask Alice (ages 13 and over)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary for Sloppy Firsts:“My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.”

When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?

A fresh, funny, utterly compelling fiction debut by first-time novelist Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts is an insightful, true-to-life look at Jessica’s predicament as she embarks on another year of teenage torment—from the dark days of Hope’s departure through her months as a type-A personality turned insomniac to her completely mixed-up feelings about Marcus Flutie, the intelligent and mysterious “Dreg” who works his way into her heart. Like a John Hughes for the twenty-first century, Megan McCafferty taps into the inherent humor and drama of the teen experience. This poignant, hilarious novel is sure to appeal to readers who are still going through it, as well as those who are grateful that they don’t have to go back and grow up all over again.

Summary for One for the Money:
ONE FINE MESS
Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, home to wiseguys, average Joes, and Stephanie Plum, who sports a big attitude and even bigger money problems (since losing her job as a lingerie buyer for a department store). Stephanie needs cash-fast-but times are tough, and soon she's forced to turn to the last resort of the truly desperate: family...

ONE FALSE MOVE
Stephanie lands a gig at her sleazy cousin Vinnie's bail bonding company. She's got no experience. But that doesn't matter. As does the fact that the bail jumper in question is local vice cop Joe Morelli. From the time he first looked up her dress to the time he first got into her pants, to the time Steph hit him with her father's Buick, M-o-r-e-l-l-i has spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e. And now the hot guy is in hot water-wanted for murder...

ONE FOR THE MONEY
Abject poverty is a great motivator for learning new skills, but being trained in the school of hard knocks by people like psycho prizefighter Benito Ramirez isn't. Still, if Stephanie can nab Morelli in a week, she'll make a cool ten grand. All she has to do is become an expert bounty hunter overnight-and keep herself from getting killed before she gets her man...

Well I voted for Go Ask Alice. :D I have the book but never came around to reading it.

hehe, all the books i suggested are suggested for ages 13 and over

hmmm...i dont know what book to vote for...could you maybe post a quick summary of those books because some of them i have no idea what they're about so...

i'll vote later tonight :D

VaughnFan, you were the only one who gave me descriptions! Sorry :-( You can look them up on amazon.com for a quick summary.

all the ones I know are good choices, but I had to vote for the princess bride...it is one, if not my ONLY, favorite movie/story of ALL TIME!

ok, just a bit obsessive here :smiley:

and when do we find out what the book is??

well, since i suggested the princess bride, a tree grows in brooklyn, and the girls' guide to hunting and fishing, i'll put up summaries of all three.

the princess bride
once upon a time came a story so full of high adventure and true love that it became an instant classic and won the hearts of millions. westley...handsome farm boy who risks death and much, much worse for the woman he loves; inigo...the spanish swordsman who lives only to avenge his father's death; fezzik...the turk, the gentlest giant ever to have uprooted a tree with this bare hands; vizzini...the evil sicilian, with a mind so keen he's foiled by his own perfect logic; prince humperdinck...the eviler ruler of gilder, who has an equally insatiable thirst for war and the beauteous buttercup; count rugen...the evilest man of all, who thrives on the excruciating pain of others; miracle max...the king's ex-miracle man, who can raise the dead (kind of); the dread pirate roberts...supreme looter and plunderer of the high seas; and, of course, buttercup...the princess bride, the most perfect, beautiful woman in the history of the world. s. morgenstern's timeless tale - discovered and wonderfully abridged by william goldman - pits country against country, good against evil, love gainst hate. from the cliffs of insanity through the fire swamp and down into the zoo of death, this incredible journey and brilliant tale is peppered with strange beasties both monstrous and gentle, and memorable surprises both terrible and sublime.

note from cherry: if you saw the movie and liked it, the book is ten times funnier and has something the movie lacks - satire.

the girls' guide to hunting and fishing
generous-hearted and wickedly insightful, the girls' guide to hunting and fishing maps the progress of jane rosenal as she sets out on a personal and spirited expedition through the perilous terrain of sex, love, and relationships, and the treacherous waters of the workplace. with an unforgettable comic touch, melissa bank skillfully teases out issues of the heart, puts a new spin on the mating dance, and captures in perfect pitch what it's like to be a young woman coming of age in america today.

note from cherry: for all the bridget jones fans. ;) the last part of the book is particularly funny as jane attempts to use a self-help book very similar to the rules to win the man of her dreams.

a tree grows in brooklyn
Francie Nolan, avid reader, penny-candy connoisseur, and adroit observer of human nature, has much to ponder in colorful, turn-of-the-century Brooklyn. She grows up with a sweet, tragic father, a severely realistic mother, and an aunt who gives her love too freely--to men, and to a brother who will always be the favored child. Francie learns early the meaning of hunger and the value of a penny. She is her father's child--romantic and hungry for beauty. But she is her mother's child, too--deeply practical and in constant need of truth. Like the Tree of Heaven that grows out of cement or through cellar gratings, resourceful Francie struggles against all odds to survive and thrive. Betty Smith's poignant, honest novel created a big stir when it was first published over 50 years ago. Her frank writing about life's squalor was alarming to some of the more genteel society, but the book's humor and pathos ensured its place in the realm of classics--and in the hearts of readers, young and old.

note from cherry: a definite classic. just one of those books that everyone has to read at least once in their life.

I think that is te best Idea, to put up summaries of the books, and then vote on them. What is your fav CS??

yeah, we should put up summaries up for all the books. otherwise, we're just voting based on the title and we all know we should never judge a book by its cover (or title). ;)

as for my favorite, my favorite books of all time actually aren't on this list, but of the three i suggested (princess bride, girls' guide to hunting and fishing, and tree grows in brooklyn), i liked princess bride the best. it's one of the few books that's so hilarious that i literally laughed out loud and couldn't stop. (there may have been a bit of a manic glint in my eye as well.)

Brittany said:
btvaughn said:
Well...of the list, A Tale of Two Cities is my favorite.  Dickens is fantastic!
yay! I suggested and voted for that one too! high five sista Bridget!
I voted for that one too!! you have to love the classics plus either i have read some of those up there or just have no interest in reading them! ^_^ ;)

Victoria King said:
Brittany said:
btvaughn said:
Well...of the list, A Tale of Two Cities is my favorite.  Dickens is fantastic!
yay! I suggested and voted for that one too! high five sista Bridget!
I voted for that one too!! you have to love the classics plus either i have read some of those up there or just have no interest in reading them! ^_^ ;)
Exactly...I wasn't sure what some of them were either. I've seen the movie of The Princess Bride, and read Lovely Bones (but really...I don't think it was all that everyone said it was cracked up to be).

Mrs. Viggo! i saw the movie the princess bride and personally....dont get offended ppl.......i hated it! so i kind of dont want to read that but if it gets voted then i will and put a :smiley: on!

Hmmm....I don't know what to pick. I've never read any of these, so I guess it doesn't matter to me. Whatever is picked I'll try to read anyway.

i saw the movie the princess bride and personally....dont get offended ppl.......i hated it! so i kind of dont want to read that but if it gets voted then i will and put a  on!

:eek: you're the first person i've met who didn't like the princess bride. but the book is so much funnier than the movie. the movie was good but it didn't really do the book justice. and we should never judge a book by its movie. ;) i was skimming it over last night too and it actually sort of reminded me of harry potter on crack. :D it's a complete fantasy but also hilariously random. :lol:

ah well... to each her own. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back