Vote For The First AllAlias Book Club Selection!

What book would you like to be the first book the AllAlias book club reads and discusses? Only one v

• A Child Called It (ages 13 and over)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Lovely Bones

• A Tale of Two Cities

• The Princess Bride

• A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing

• Sloppy Firsts

• One for the Money (ages 13 and over)

• A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

• Speak (ages 13 and over)

• Go Ask Alice (ages 13 and over)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
kiki81ny said:
VaughnFan, you were the only one who gave me descriptions! Sorry :-( You can look them up on amazon.com for a quick summary.
yeah, it was in case you had no idea what the books were about...anyways, i'm so sorry but i wasnt able to log on last night, so here are the descriptions for the books i suggested:

"A Child Called It"
David J. Pelzer's mother, Catherine Roerva, was, he writes in this ghastly, fascinating memoir, a devoted den mother to the Cub Scouts in her care, and somewhat nurturant to her children--but not to David, whom she referred to as "an It." This book is a brief, horrifying account of the bizarre tortures she inflicted on him, told from the point of view of the author as a young boy being starved, stabbed, smashed face-first into mirrors, forced to eat the contents of his sibling's diapers and a spoonful of ammonia, and burned over a gas stove by a maniacal, alcoholic mom. Sometimes she claimed he had violated some rule--no walking on the grass at school!--but mostly it was pure sadism. Inexplicably, his father didn't protect him; only an alert schoolteacher saved David. One wants to learn more about his ordeal and its aftermath, and now he's written a sequel, The Lost Boy, detailing his life in the foster-care system.

"Go Ask Alice"
The torture and hell of adolescence has rarely been captured as clearly as it is in this classic diary by an anonymous, addicted teen. Lonely, awkward, and under extreme pressure from her "perfect" parents, "Anonymous" swings madly between optimism and despair. When one of her new friends spikes her drink with LSD, this diarist begins a frightening journey into darkness. The drugs take the edge off her loneliness and self-hate, but they also turn her life into a nightmare of exalting highs and excruciating lows. Although there is still some question as to whether this diary is real or fictional, there is no question that it has made a profound impact on millions of readers during the more than 25 years it has been in print. Despite a few dated references to hippies and some expired slang, Go Ask Alice still offers a jolting chronicle of a teenager's life spinning out of control.

"Speak"
Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute: Andy Evans. He's a senior at Melinda's high school, and Melinda hasn't been able to speak clearly since he raped her at the senior party last August.

These are all really good books, and in case you were wondering, i didnt write those summaries ;) , amazon did...

when does voting end anyways?

A Child Called It got my vote, altho i really wouldnt mind reading any of those books. So, now its tied for first...i wouldve voted for The Princess Bride cuz i've seen the movie and read the book but...

I voted for A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. one of those I've always meant to read but haven't gotten around to it. ^_^

hey, cs, I loved the Princess Bride too! I remember reading it in the library and completely cracking up. people stared. :lol:

crazy spinster said:
i saw the movie the princess bride and personally....dont get offended ppl.......i hated it! so i kind of dont want to read that but if it gets voted then i will and put a  on!

:eek: you're the first person i've met who didn't like the princess bride. but the book is so much funnier than the movie. the movie was good but it didn't really do the book justice. and we should never judge a book by its movie. ;) i was skimming it over last night too and it actually sort of reminded me of harry potter on crack. :D it's a complete fantasy but also hilariously random. :lol:

ah well... to each her own. ^_^
lol! i know many ppl who love this movie but i dont know it came off as too cheap and fake funny........and i dont know the big rat.....eh!? LOL! but yes you are right dont judge a book by its movie!!!!! and yes books are always better than movies! but i said if it is picked i will read it with an open mind! ;)

I thought the movie was kinda cute, I've never read the book though. I should though cuz you're right, books are almost always much better than the movies made from them.

harry potter on crack! :lol: but now that you mention it, I see it... :D

aww, come on vicki, you know you loved it! deep down... okay maybe really deep down...

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN!!!!! woooo! okay, now my friends read i child calls it last year... or maybe it was the year before but it's like super sad people. heard all about it. now, i've already read a tree grows in brooklyn but it's an awesome book people! really, it is!

:lol: great, now we have a four-way tie. what do we do now?

psst...princess bride. vote for princess bride. ^_^

or vote for sloppy firsts and then we can have a five-way tie. :lol:

LOL!!!!!!!! a five way tie would be hilarous!!! but i really dont want to read sloppy firsts sooo...VOTE FOR THE OTHER ONES.....cough*tale*cough* of* cough*twocities*cough! HAHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back