Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Sci-Fi Waiter impersonating Doctor Who, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Talk' started by Kevin, Aug 20, 2013.

?
  1. Funny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Creepy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Creative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not Funny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Would have to be there to decide.

100.0%
  1. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Recently I came across an article on The Consumerist about a waiter at an Olive Garden (Italian restaurant chain in the US) who impersonates Doctor Who in order to get a response from his customers. According to him not only did his customers recognize the quotes but he saw an increase in sales and a possible date out of it.

Now, don't get me wrong as my friends & family know I am a big self-admitted geek who is known to make references to all times various books, movies, & TV but those references are usually in context to what is going on and usually around people who would get the references. Having a waiter acting like the person describes would be, to me at least, more creepy than funny while trying to have dinner.

Reading the waiters description of his "experiment" I can't help but think that he his exaggerating just a bit. Unless the restaurant happened to be near Comic-Con I tend to doubt that not only were that many customers familiar with Doctor Who but familiar with it enough to recognize quotes & allusions to it.

Here's a link to the guys Tumblr account and his original post. http://strangeronbakerstreet.tumblr...rtain-doctor-who-phrases-and-how-olive-garden