Sci-Fi Wandering Earth (2019) [Netflix]

screenersam

This is news, Vincenzo, NEWS!
Title: The Wandering Earth

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Drama

Director: Frant Gwo

Cast: Qu Chuxiao, Li Guangjie, Zhao Jinmai, Wu Jing, Ng Man-tat, Michael Kai Sui, Qu Jingjing, Zhang Yichi, Haoyu Yang, Arkady Sharogradsky, Li Hongchen, Yang Yi, Jiang Zhigang, Zhang Huan, Lei Jiayin, Ning Hao, Liu Cixin, Guo Jingfei, Wang Zhi, Zhang Zixian, Lu Yang, Zhang Ning, Zhang Xiaobei, Rao Xiaozhi, Tao Luoyi, Wu Xiaoliang, Gong Geer, Frant Gwo, Guo Hexuan, Li Zhuozhao, Yi Yang

Release: 2019-02-05

Runtime: 126

Plot: When the Sun begins to expand in such a way that it will inevitably engulf and destroy the Earth in a hundred years, united mankind finds a way to avoid extinction by propelling the planet out of the Solar System using gigantic engines, moving it to a new home located four light years away, an epic journey that will last thousands of years.
Wandering Earth (2019) [Netflix]

Oooooh, thanks for posting that! I came across the trailer a few weeks back but forgot about it because of the reasons mentioned in that linked article, that Netflix seems to be doing absolutely nothing to promote it.

I'm always down for a b-grade popcorn movie, and I've got the surround sound system hooked up to the TV in the family room, so I'll be watching this one. I just hope that there's an English track available, Netflix seems to be adding more & more content from international markets but not bothering anymore with spending the money for dubbed tracks.

Watched this one yesterday; it wasn't bad as a straight action movie. Visually it was great and easy to see where most of the budget went. I watched it on my aging Panasonic 1080p plasma TV (yes, plasma! :P) and would imagine it'd really shine on 4K monitors. There were a few scenes, such as when the truck is going through the valley away from the Earth engine and the camera keeps going to a wider & wider shot to show the size scope of the engines, that had that CGI feel to them though it is still easily on par with the graphics of western sci-fi movies like Armageddon and even Valerian.

Plot wise it's... interesting. It's based on a book and from what I'm getting the movie varies greatly from the book in regards to the major plot point of Jupiter. I'll try not be too specific for those who haven't watched it yet but in the book Jupiter is apparently not the same experience as it is in the movie. There really isn't any major twists to the story and you can pretty much guess the fate of the major characters. And, yes, as @ElderChao mentions, a truck gets a lot of screen time. :LOL:

With the big change versus the source material I can't help but wonder if some of the disjointment in the movie was more of a result of shoe-horning in the plot change into the confines of the movie runtime versus the author's original story.

I could actually see the world of Wandering Earth as an anime series. The movie sets up the potential for future stories to be told for, literally, generations and it could very easily take a Space: 1999 direction in regards to the kinds of action that could take. Now that'd be something... an anime series similar to Space: 1999 based on a movie based on a book. Of course though that'd eventually lead to the movie based on the anime similar to Space: 1999 based on a movie based on a book. 🤯

I couldn't finish this. The whiny little sister annoyed me so much I just stopped halfway through, and I have no desire to go back and see how it ends.