War of the Worlds / 7/05

Sadly, a lot of person will not watch this movie because of Tom Cruise. And I understand them, Tom Cruise have said things absolutely (put the adjective you want here). :(

Myself, I was deceived by some of his recent comments and actions.
But I decided to go (Tom Cruise is not the only person in this movie and War of the Worlds is one of my favourite books) and I wasn't deceived at all. It's really a great movie, with a lot of action, great acting by Dakota Fanning (sorry, but I didn't find Tom Cruise good in this movie). The story is entertaining and the special effects are great. Spielberg is really a great director. (y)

i saw it last night...amazing. totally blew me out of the water. did anyone else find it intense? in the first 20 minutes i was like woah...cant...take...the intensity...must...get...out :lol:
i highly recomend it!
as far as the whole tom cruise and his stuff...i wouldnt let it get in the way of a great movie (that coulf just be me though :lol:smiley:

Okay, erm, so I , uh, caved. My family was going to the movies (I'm a teen so we still go to the movies together) and they wanted to see this.

I'm glad I went. Even though I disagree with Tom Cruise on a lot of thing, this film was spectacular. It really was intense. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time. Dakota Fanning did an amazing performance (even though her character was a tad annoying). The only part of the plot that I hated was the ending. It was so abrubt, and call me slow, but I didn't understand it. :lol:

I really enjoyed it. The special effects were amazing, some of the best I've ever seen. Now, I'm gonna talk about some things that detail scenes in it (not really the plot), but just want people to know there are some potential spoilers

The two most intense scenes in the whole movie, in my opinion, were the one when the alien ship first surfaced and when they were driving through that whole crowd of people to the ferry.

The ferry scene was so heart-pounding and terrifying (spelling?) that I gnawed on my box of Snowcaps (I'll post a pic at the end :D ). Partially because that's a big fear of mine, being trapped like that. The pure desperation that was captured in that scene was gut-wrenching. The scary part wasn't what was happening; it was nothing that in a situation like that that would happen. People punching in windows, ripping apart a windshield with their bare hands, and holding guns to other people just to for a car...It was frightening. I was so...disturbed by it. It was just so much.

For all parents, I wouldn't take children younger than 12 to this. It's your decision, but I was spooked by this film (and I usually don't get too scared by movies). This was the scariest non-horror film that I have seen in a long time. I think that possibly if 9/11 didn't happen I wouldn't have been so afraid, but I don't know.

Two things I DIDN'T like...the introduction and conclusion narrator was corny, and it was unbelievable that Tom Cruise's character and his daughter were always the closest to the aliens yet they weren't killed. I mean it's very possible that they could have such good luck, but it was just a little over the top.

And here's my pic of my Snowcaps box that I chewed on in the intense parts.
07010517240pm.jpg

I saw it last night.... first hour was amazing -- but I felt somewhat let-down the second hour (although I was still gripping the arm rest on the chair... :lol: )

And Hibou... I liked the ending because it explains ALOT.... I really don't want to go into details on here if people haven't seen it.... PM me and I'll explain... :smiley: ETA: And oh yea -- did the box taste as good as the snow caps... :lol:

this movie is frickin' awesome!

it's definatly more of a Suspense movie than an action movie

and the speacial effects were incredible--it definatly starts right off--the first action sequence totally just ...i'm mean, wow

but in my opinion, the end was a little rushed--kindof a letdown, but once you talk it over with ur friends (or family) it makes things fit

i was kindof ticked off at the theater tho, b/c the screen was blurry for most of the beginning and it really got on my nerves--i thought it was going to ruin the movie for me, but the movie just totally sucked me in, and i forgot all about the blurriness

allaliasallthetime said:
this looks like a pretty good one. The girl looks like she'll be pretty good. I heard there was a radio version and book version. And the radio version, everyone tuned in because people actually thought this was going on so they were freakin out.

Just a little known fact..lol. But no, it looks really good,and with Spielburg u can't go wrong
[post="1285378"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

oh, and i thought i'd respond to this--and you're right--a radio broadcaster, back in like the 1930's (is it 1937?) and this guy was playing music on the radio on halloween night, and would come in with breaking news that martians were invading new york city, and then he'd go back to the soft classical music, and then come back with more updates-- sounding completely serious and everything--just a joke, right?

well, it went the other direction--people took it seriously--alot panicked, and some commited suicide

the radio guy got in A LOT of trouble!

little known fact indeed!

()aliasyeah() said:
oh, and i thought i'd respond to this--and you're right--a radio broadcaster, back in like the 1930's (is it 1937?)  and this guy was playing music on the radio on halloween night, and would come in with breaking news that martians were invading new york city, and then he'd go back to the soft classical music, and then come back with more updates-- sounding completely serious and everything--just a joke, right?

well, it went the other direction--people took it seriously--alot panicked, and some commited suicide

the radio guy got in A LOT of trouble!

little known fact indeed!
[post="1403863"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The radio guy was Orson Welles. Funny thing is I knew more about this story than I did the actual War of the Worlds story...this had always fascinated me.

Here's the actual scrpit of what was broadcast on the radio that night:
http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/script.html

And here's an interesting website about the whole thing:
http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/wotw.html

oh, and I'm still boycotting the movie :P I've actually heard so-so things from people I know who have seen it, so I don't really think I'm missing out.

Ok, I just saw War of the Worlds and I thought it was pretty good! Although I thought the ending was cut kind of short. However, I still enjoyed the film! The effects were amazing and Dakota Fanning (sry if I spelt it wrong) was great! What is she like 11 or 12 and already starring in huge motion pictures with lengendary stars! Tom was his usual self, I also liked his performance.

What's your opinion?

Good? Bad? OK?

Hey, theres a special place for movie discussions here on AllAlias. It can be found Here ;)

Also, i saw it last night and thought it was great!!! Best Spielberg film to date. And Dakota Fanning is my new favorite actress!! Haha, she did so good in that performance!!

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good, not great, but pretty good. The ending was, well, not as good as it could/should have been or what I expected it to be especially since it was a Spielberg film.

Doesn't this belong in the Entertainment section?

I can't stand Tom Cruise and his freaky ways. Did you know he makes journalists take a four hour tour of the Scientology centre before he will grant them an interview? Can you say psychotic fanatic?!

Plus he's really ugly in real life, and even shorter than you could imagine. :lol:

The movie would have been much better if they had cast someone who could act. (y)

I thought Tom Cruise had a great performance....I think a lot of people are dismissing his acting in the movie because of his recent behavior, which I don't think is fair (granted he is kinda crazy :lol:smiley:

Even Tom Cruise's ignorant comments on psychiatry couldn't keep me away from this. I :love: summer blockbusters and this one did not disappoint, even though Dakota Fanning got on my nerves with her tinny scream. Still, that's exactly what my little sis would do if alien's invaded so I guess Spielberg got it right.

lol that's true :lol: her scream was a tad bit annoying but she's a fabulous actor ;)

i thought this movie was fantastic, alothough, i wasn't crazy over the ending- i thought it was a bit abrupt :P

WOW.

While it wasn't the best movie, it was definitely worth all of the hype.

I don't care what people said about Tom Cruise. Him, along with Dakota Fanning, f**king ROCKED this movie.

The one scene where he had to sing the lullaby, but didn't know it......just brilliant acting on BOTH parts.

To be honest, I had been hearing very negative things about the ending of the movie. So towards the end, I became a little nervous because I didn't know what to expect. I didn't think that the ending was that bad. It was interesting, plausible, and if you really think about it, was the ONLY way that they could have written themselves out of the corner that they were in.

The CGI was FANTASTIC! The car driving from the exploding bridge was absolutely amazing. The action was superb, the timing and suspense were all dead on.

My only complaint was that some parts felt truly rushed, while others dragged on. I felt some parts should have been cut, especially the repetitive scenes of Tom Cruise and his family, just sitting there hiding. Sure it was interesting the first 2 or 3 times they showed it, but after a while, it became a little trite.

Overall it was a great movie! GO SEE IT! :D

Back