Politics War with Iraq

Anti-war doesn't mean Anti-American. I'm completely agains war but not against the USA.
I think Bush wants war to take over Iraq and control petroleum.
If he (Bush) really wanted an equal battle why doesn't he attack North Korea? They're as powerful as the USA. Oh but they don't have petroleum, right. ;)

It totally makes me sick, when I watch the news and see americans acting as human shields for iraq! I mean come on do you realy think they would be over here, being human shields for us if the shoe was on the other foot? Hah!! Fat chance, they would be over there hinding in the caves listening to every word that pig, Saddam tells them.

AliasALIAS said:
aliasjgfanaticmv said:
I don't know, in some ways, I support it, because I'd like to see those stupid put in their place for everything they've done, but I don't want to see so many more people die over it.  (The Americans anyway, and innocent civilians)  I do want those bastards to pay for what they did, they should die a horrible, slow death.  But I know what it's like to lose people you care about, and I don't want people all over the US knowing the feeling too.  I'm torn between a burning passion for vengeance and the want to keep people from experiencing the death of loved ones too soon.

Sadaam is a stupid ass who needs to learn he can't play with us and expect to come out alive.  OOH the things I'd like to do to him....I can't believe most of the things he's done.  I'v actually considered going into the military when I get older, but my heart lies with the CIA.
by "stupid" and "bastards", who are you referring to? Hopefully only the bad guys.

Although I know that Saddam is evil, I think we shouldn't be rushing to war. We haven't had any real, hard evidence. Only pictures of possible locations where nuclear bombs may be made. But Bush is trying to go ahead of the UN and rush things through. Let the UN inspectors do their job (and they need to do it faster) and then further action can be taken.

And just because 3000 lives were lost on September 11, it does not justify bombing away at a country who wasn't directly responsible for it and killing more innocent people.

So if it's time for war, i'll support it, but I don't think it's quite time yet.
Yeah, I WAS referring to the bad guys. Sorry for the confusion.

crazy spinster said:
AliasHombre said:
What i don't get is the Anti-Americanism that has arisen due to Bush's plan.  People need to support their nation and its need to protect itslf.  People care more about Iraqi children then their own.
i think it's completely unfair to call all anti-war/anti-bush people anti-americans. in fact, i feel a bit offended by being labeled anti-american or unpatriotic. i am extremely grateful for being able to live in america

why do people feel so threatened by dissenters? would you prefer a country where everyone agreed with everyone else and we blindly followed the president while waving flags like robots? do you define americanism as being the fact that we're the most powerful country in the world and therefore must exercise this might by bombing iraq on circumstantial evidence? what about "innocent until proven guilty"? isn't that also an american value?
i agree 100% with you crazy spinster. ok so i don't know the star spangled banner by heart and i don't support war. does that make me any less american? i think not. my parents were immigrants and i don't follow a lot of american customs. so i know a lot of my american friends are worse than i am. bush is really trying to pick on someone and just because we don't support war doesn't mean we are anti-american. does that mean that you are defining america as a war loving country? war's a bad thing and if you are implying that i would simply be hurt to think that we have sunk that low. i truly was all for the students who around the country protested. i wish i could have done that. americans are free to display their opinions and that is one of the great things about it. so are we anti-american for expressing an opinion that we DON'T want to go to war? i don't think so.

Oy! this isn't good!! I'm kinda for War, but not!

I don't think we should go to war cuz I have friends and family in the service.

But this war or process of going into war is highly dangerous, if we suspect them (iraq) to have the type of weapons they MOST LIKELY do. It could be a mess.

I hate what happen on Sept. 11th, but we can't just go into this with angry and start something with whoever dares us too. Its sounds like a 1st grade push fight.

I don't think we should just go bomb them but we should let the inspectors do their job and look @ the problem.

We should have never givin' Saddam 12 yrs to makes these weapons but that was our own dang fault. we can't do anything but tell the prez what they think, Do you really think this is just easy for him he has ppl telling to Bomb the hell out of the place then other starting rallies for Peace.

I respect those ppl who decide to lie down on roads for peace or whatever, but don't you think I will be doing that, cuz those Iraq kids and ppl are taught to hate Americans and ya know what thats not right I can't protest with ppl who hate me and what I believe.

thats my 2 cents

~KM

Don't say that this war is about oil, its not. Even if it was, would you rather see the oil money go to Terrorists or the American Oil companies. I didn't intend to steryotype all protesters as Anti-American. sorry.
I understant that it is the american citizens right and duty to question its elected officals.What i meant is that some people are disagreeing with war becasue of who the president is. I know this sounds bad, but i believe that some people would be in support of this war if Al Gore had been elected. (George W. was really elected, he didn't "cheat", read the constitution.)

OK hate to tell ya but this war is mainly about Oil ( thats my thinking) and of course us Americans who itch for war. If AL Gore would have won I think I would be scared for my life that Man ( like I said before) would be hiding under the Oval office desk trying to get rid of the American ppl asking questions. He isn't a very good military leader not say Bush is but he has ppl in his Adm. like Powell to help him out. Gore while V.P. really damaged military by cuttings some of there money off which now we need. Grr....I don't like Gore the smartest thing Fl did was get Bush into office (yes I'm from FL)!!!

~Km

Protesting this war is anti-american. I mean, you have to support what is best for your country. Yeah, I know, you think that peace is best for your country but, you know, if there's no war eventually there won't be an America because WE'LL ALL BE DEAD! Hussein's building nuclear bombs people! Why do you think Israel had to blow up his nuclear reactor all those years ago? BECAUSE IT WAS THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

AliasHombre said:
I didn't intend to steryotype all protesters as Anti-American. sorry.
I understant that it is the american citizens right and duty to question its elected officals.What i meant is that some people are disagreeing with war becasue of who the president is. I know this sounds bad, but i believe that some people would be in support of this war if Al Gore had been elected. (George W. was really elected, he didn't "cheat", read the constitution.)
okay. i see your point now that you've clarified. and, unfortunately, you may be right - there are most likely people out there who disagree with the war for the simple fact that bush is leading it. yet, i think that it goes the other way around as well - people support the war without knowing all the facts simply because they think, heck, he's our president, he can't be wrong! i'm sure you're not one of these people since you've presented evidence to your argument but still - there are wackos in every movement, on both sides. yet we shouldn't judge a side (or a movement) by its wackos.

aliaschick4mv said:
Protesting this war is anti-american.  I mean, you have to support what is best for your country.  Yeah, I know, you think that its the other way around but, you know, if there's no war eventually there won't be an America because WE'LL ALL BE DEAD!

i've said this before, but i'll say it again - declaring protestors anti-american is just plain offensive. i'm sorry if i'm taking this too personally, but i can't help it. my parents sacrificed A LOT when they escaped vietnam (their possessions, their livelihood, their families) so that they (and me, later on) could have a better life. i fully appreciate and am grateful for the fact that i live in america where i can do things like voice my disagreement with a war and not be imprisoned - or maybe even killed - like i would be if i were living in a communist country.

anyway, sorry again if i'm being such a pill about this. but i'm offended and i really can't help that.

crazy spinster said:
aliaschick4mv said:
Protesting this war is anti-american.  I mean, you have to support what is best for your country.  Yeah, I know, you think that its the other way around but, you know, if there's no war eventually there won't be an America because WE'LL ALL BE DEAD!
because the vietnam war was SUCH a success.

and declaring protestors anti-american is just plain offensive.
Vietnam was a stupid war, this has NOTHING to do with Vietnam. And I'm sorry that it came across as offensive, but I'm just saying that if we're all dead then there won't be an America. I'm all for peace, don't get me wrong! But there's not going to be any peace with Saddam Hussein. He's evil. Period, and he has no greater desire than to kill every American and Israeli. Including the ones for peace. Don't let him fool you with his deception skills. I apologize for calling your protests anti-American, I just meant that letting Saddam Hussein get away with everything he is doing will cause the end on the US.

Also, the thing you quoted came across wrong, I meant that you think that no war with Iraq is best for America. If you look at the original post, you'll see that I edited it to make it sound what I meant for it to say.

aliaschick4mv said:
And I'm sorry that it came across as offensive, but I'm just saying that if we're all dead then there won't be an America. I'm all for peace, don't get me wrong! But there's not going to be any peace with Saddam Hussein. He's evil. Period, and he has no greater desire than to kill every American and Israeli. Including the ones for peace. Don't let him fool you with his deception skills. I apologize for calling your protests anti-American, I just meant that letting Saddam Hussein get away with everything he is doing will cause the end on the US.
fine, it's one thing to voice your opinion about going to war, but don't start criticizing the people who disagree with you; criticize their argument, not them. and i apologize for having a giant stick up my ass about it.

and, you know, "fighting for peace" is rather a contradiction, don't you think? much like "screwing for virginity." ;)

I really didn't have an opinion on this before, I mean, I'm not American, and it doesn't concern me as much as it concerns most of you. I know that Canada will be involved somehow, but I don't follow the news, so I really didn't understand what was going on for the plain reason that I didn't care. But I was watching the Bush address last night, and sure, Saddam is evil. I think we all know that. I think we also all know that he is building bombs and whatever else. But I'm not sure whether it's safe to assume that he will be using them on America. I am aware that I have VERY little knowledge on the subject, so yell at me all you want, but once America makes the first attack, won't Saddam be ready with the "weapons of mass destruction" and send them right on over? It's not like he's going to keep them sitting up in a nice little safe during a war. At least, I don't think he would. But then again, I'm relatively new to the events.
I also think it's really wrong for people to call war-protestors anti-american. I know people have apologized, but I'm just voicing my opinion for anyone who was planning to say it again. It's great to live in a country where you can voice your opinions, and speak out about your government. These people are concerned about America just as those who are for the war are.

Anyways, there's MY two cents.

If not America, then he will use them on one of our allies.
This is nothing like Vietnam.
Protesting is anti-american becasue they are protesting what is in the best interest of our country: self-defense.
We don't want to kill innocent citizend like Saddam, we want to take out saddam because he is a threat to our way of live and his own people. This was was not and will not be instigated by us, it will have been instigated by 12 years of Saddam covering up weapons, disbeying the UN(Which by the wat, Gb needs no approval for war by the UN, he is just going to them as a courtesy), and lying to the world.

AliasHombre said:
Protesting is anti-american becasue they are protesting what is in the best interest of our country: self-defense.
again, i do NOT think protesting is anti-american. what makes you think protestors also don't have america's best interest in mind?? we care enough about our government and our country that we're willing to go out there and let them know how we feel.

and am i missing something, but when did iraq attack america? i see this war as being more of a preemptive strike than self-defense.

and in bringing vietnam into this argument, i meant to point out that protesting that war clearly turned out to NOT be anti-american because, as you can see, putting american troops in vietnam turned out to be a huge disaster.

Thats what this war is, a preemtive strike against tangible enemies to prevent something like sept. 11 to happen again.

Is it in Americas best interest to let the people who hate and want to kill us manifest their hatred and plan and execute somesort of attack on America?

What if we left Saddam alone and Saddam attacked New York, and at the time your best friend was vacationing there, and he/she were killed, how would you feel then about not going to war then?

This is not like Vietnam, so don't compare it to Vietnam.

AliasHombre said:
Is it in Americas best interest to let the people who hate and want to kill us manifest their hatred and plan and execute somesort of attack on America?

What if we left Saddam alone and Saddam attacked New York, and at the time your best friend was vacationing there, and he/she were killed, how would you feel then about not going to war then?
okay, that's just a lot of what-ifs. are you willing to put millions of lives on the line based on what-ifs?

It would not be millions of lives. More like thousands. And besides, war, if not now, will happen, and American military will die, lets do it now so we prevent our own citizens from dying.
War is not like it used to be, this would not be trench warfare, it would be some hand to hand, but more technology and long ranged weapons.
Some invasion would be necessary, but not until after heavy bombing.

(Thats only 1 what-if, and had someone said that on Sept. 10 and we listened to them. Listen now.)

Back