Politics War with Iraq

It's times like these I wonder if the President has too much power, being the sole person who controls the army (in essence). He can make a bad decision, and we can't really stop him without a lot of trouble.

I can't help but think no matter what we do in Iraq, we will never achieve what we went there to do. It was a bad idea from the start (not only badly executed, in my opinion), and look where it's gotten us. Just because Saddam was a bad dictator doesn't give us the right to go into Iraq and mess things up like we have. Have we invaded every other country with an evil leader? No. We haven't, and for good reason. :rolleyes:

^^I've thought about that myself. It kills me that Bush can just decide to send even more troops into Iraq. I do realize that at this point, there's not much else we can do (i mean we can't just up and leave anymore), but it doesn't make it any easier. I've already lost my brother and a close friend to this war. Now more of my friends have been shipped overseas? It's not something I'm equipped to handle

I know I haven't been in this thread, but I just want to say that I sympathize with you, Di. I can't relate, because I do not know anyone overseas, so I can't say I understand what you're going through, but I know what it's like to miss someone, and to lose someone. Though I imagine your situation is much more frustrating and upsetting because of the specific conditions that you lost your brother and friend, just know that I and many others feel for you and are coutning down the days until our troops come home. That's why it frustrates me when people cannot make the distinction between supporting our troops but not supporting the war. All it means is we care about the men and women over there and want them to be safe and feel it's unfair that they are forced to fight in a war that their government created.

I really appreciate the work your brother and friend did and the work that many others are doing. Bush should think about people like you and other family members, he should realize that every day he sits on his hands is another day of needless blodshed. You deserve better than this. We all do.

Congress just does not understand that what's best for the troops isn't shielding them from harm, it is getting them out of harm's way. Congress is about to vote on $50 billion more for the War in Iraq tomorrow and they have yet to repeal the benchmark that would require Iraq to allow foreign firms to privatize Iraqi oil. What is Congress doing? Should we even bother being against the war when Democrats can count on our votes when they run for re-election?

Back