Warhammer - Anyone Play?

A few comrades and myself have been considering getting into this game. One played it a long time ago, the rest of us are completely new but still interested. Read a bunch of stuff on the sites as well as downloaded versions of the books. >.> I must say, the whole thing looks extremely badass. Just one tiny problem though. Cost. Its so expensive even to build a small army. Maybe hobbyshop prices are cheaper than the official site, but it can't be much more so. Despite this I think it would be great fun to design and paint an army, for either game. I guess it probably doesn't help that I prefer Warhammer over 40k, and my buddies seem to prefer the opposite >.<

My buddies also prefer 40k, but I'm doing Fantasy. I just started myself, I'm going with Orcs and Gobbos. It is a lot of fun to paint everything yourself, and surprisingly enough, it's not that hard to get good results, and I'm not artistic at all. If you do decide to get into it, just read up about painting & modeling and such on GWs website, they have some good tips. Drybrushing fur and wood, makes it look so good.

About price, yea it's a tad expensive, for troops search under froogle for Warhammer, you should find some sites where you can get 20% off. I usually go to the hobby store near me to get paints, glue etc.

What army are you thinking of playing?

Oof. Army choices are hard. I have several choices for warhammer and 40k. I'll probably choose them depending on what my buddies choose (I prefer to be unique).

For Warhammer, the ones that look interesting to me are the Vampires, Empire, and the High Elves. Being not that much into the game yet, I mostly chose these armies for their aesthetic value. I spent hours browsing the miniatures on the main site. I liked how they had paragraphs of lore for each unit.

As for Warhammer 40k, I like the Imperials and the Witch Hunters. The Imperials seem to have so many different little factions, which is cool. As for the Witch Hunters, I just love the looks of one of their commanders and some of the other units.

Yeah, it might be pathetic reasoning for choosing my army, but it'll amuse me all the same. Thanks for the froogle tip - I'll tell my buddies.

No problemo. Definitely just do a lot of searching, the cheapest I've seen the figures is 20% off. I can link the site when I get home, if you find anything cheaper let me know!

I think that's a great reason to pick an army! You have to like the way it's going to look if you want to paint and play it! That's why I chose Orcs and Gobbos, b/c I like the way they look, and I'll have fun with them. Even though they are completely unpredictable in battle, and my own units have the chance of coming to blows with one another...

I'm also interested in the Dark Elves and the Lizardmen. If I ever start 40k I'd probably go with the Orks, though the Imperials and the witchhunters also look cool...

I havn't. I definatly never really got into the tabletop games. I think it was the friends I had, and how I was raised. Maybe I'll try it out one of these days though.

Hey Volund. Got that link for you. They have some miniatures for 20% off not all thought. There might be cheaper out there, I didn't do a ton of reasearch. If you find anything better let me know!

Warhammer 20% Off

Ah man, thank you so much. Too bad I won't be able to even try it out for another month or so (lousy college). I appreciate the link though, and I plan to show it to my buddies.

Well, let me know how it goes if you do try it out...

After looking more at the GW site, I want to paint the High Elves now too. They look pretty bad ass...

Fantasy, DEs exclusively

WITCH ELVES tearing into your ranks FTW!!!

Xhar

P.S. yea, here it comes, the arguments about Bretonians and Dwarves owning witch elves due to their insane armor...

Actually...I couldn't make that argument...b/c I've just started building an army, I've never really played before, but I'm looking forward to it!!

I'm building an Orcs & Gobbos army, I like them b/c their big, their mean, they delight in death and killing, and their crazy as all hell haha!

If I ever finish putting together that army, then I might build a high elves army b/c I think they look cool...

Go more orcs than gobbos, unless you have A) no sense of tactics at all and B) you love utter chaos on the battlefield, weither you win or loose.

My Fiancee is building a Gobbo army, strictly because I play, she isnt the wargamer type. She has no idea what tactics are, let alone how to impliment them (ok, thats being sarcastic) But is happily painting her Gobbo Gliders and Squigs, waiting to unleash them on the field.

Gobbos = Chaotic funstuff
Orcs = Heavy shocktroops

Me, I prefer Darkelves because the game is easy to predict by the end of the second turn. They either completely dominate their opponent or the loose baaad. They are hard as hell to play properly (especially the army setup I play), but that just makes it all the more rewarding when a new opponent I have just beaten goes "Damn! I didnt think that would work!"

Advice to newbies in WH or 40k, play with strangers in a local hobby store (but not a GW store, they have full priced wares and are too busy trying to push too many titles to devote much time to the one you want to play), avoid playing the same friends over and over, that will just stagnate the game.

Also, if yuou know you and your friends will be playing, chip in to each others armies, and spend painting time together. It makes the game itself that much more fun, and keeps the tedium of the assembly/painting down.

Xhar

P.S. Buy the book/codex for your army FIRST, then build an army acording to your tactical taste and the availability of units set out by the book.

I have the Orcs & Gobbos book, and yea, I probably will mainly stick with Orcs, just b/c I love Orcs, though I also do love chaos!!

I figure if I want some more chaos I can use Savage Orcs, or throw in some squigs or night goblin fanatics :D

FANATICS!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

LOL Nothing strikes more fear in your opponent than seeing a gobbo fanatic spinning towards his ranks, and nothing makes me laugh harder than a fanatic spinning towards his own army :P

Xhar

Haha. Yea, that is some funny stuff...

What's the deal with Savage Orcs? You just don't choose the direction they move or something right? I need to re-read the book.

Back