Warhammer Online - The Day of Reckoning

I am glad to see that it is coming soon for sure. I do actually wish that it was like a month later. I am in the states and don't have my comp so won't get to play until I get back to the UK. However, I am tossed on if I am getting the US or Euro version still.

I have come to find there is two different sets of attitudes between the servers but I get more players playing Euro servers. I don't see why games like to seperate everyone these days. It is the one thing I think SOE has done right and that is have one client but access to US or Euro servers with it.

Kajy, Warhammer Online's pretty much an all out PvP game... The creators also made Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) which is RvR (Realm vs Realm, or Continent vs Continent if you will...). Warhammer Online is based on Warhammer, the card/figurine/paper based RPG... I've never played Warhammer, but I have seen it in comic shops.

WAR and Daoc are not "all out PvP" o.O It is my opinion and that of the devs as you can find their comments on the subject repeatedly -- WAR is about RvR which is not PvP in the sense we've come to know it (ffa, gank fests, open, no rules, yadda yadda).

The difference is RvR is goal and team orientated. Your objective is not to slaughter other players but to achieve the taking of landmarks. In this case its things like towers and keeps, and eventually capital cities. Working as one realm (faction, kingdom, etc) to make advances towards the end goal.

:smiley:

WAR and Daoc are not "all out PvP" o.O It is my opinion and that of the devs as you can find their comments on the subject repeatedly -- WAR is about RvR which is not PvP in the sense we've come to know it (ffa, gank fests, open, no rules, yadda yadda).

The difference is RvR is goal and team orientated. Your objective is not to slaughter other players but to achieve the taking of landmarks. In this case its things like towers and keeps, and eventually capital cities. Working as one realm (faction, kingdom, etc) to make advances towards the end goal.

:smiley:

...Which would still make it all out PvP.
Just because it's goal oriented doesn't mean it's not. I don't think the common definition of PvP has changed that much. There are still options as always and alot of PvP online is very structured in a wide variety of games. It's just that alot of it also isn't. Goal oriented PvP is usually the only kind I'll participate in and is what I consider true PvP- everything else is just a mosh pit.

*nods* Aren't opinions great? ;) All out PvP is just that... PvP all the time, anywhere. You can't get that in WAR as the devs dislike it. Close as you can get is being changed into a lvl 1 chicken with 1 hitpoint and 1dmg ability (when you cross enemy PvE lines OR on an open server which has PvE areas open but not everywhere and rules restrict who you can kill and what gives credit.

I'm just not a PvPer although I use the term loosely since most gamers have no idea what RvR means. And yeah, I stick to goal orientated "PvP" more properly known as RvR. I'm just that snooty. :smiley:

Since I have played DAoC for nearly 4 years, I'm familiar with RvR, but it is PvP, but in zone vs zone/country vs country/ or Realm vs Realm ;) It is still Player vs Player just a different style where you can only pin yourself up against an opposing faction/group.

However, WAR, as far as I know, has no PvE server like Gaheris in DAoC. Thus, all servers are geared toward PvP, aside from that fact that the required PvP action is against opposing factions.

But I like my PvE, Gaheris 4ever ;)

Bought the parts and built two sweet computers just for this game. *puurrr* We're ready for WAAGH!!!

Ah I know how that feels! I'm about to do a quad core setup, with either an 9800 GX2 or an GTX 280! I'm excited! Mostly just about having a new computer though. And Spore soon! Except Spore's DRM is supposed to suck. :(

Last I heard it just checks via an online connection every 10 days or so. Did they change it again?

Actually they removed the 10 day connection part, so they say, but there is supposedly going to be a 3 install limit (like with Mass Effect and Bioshock. Search on google and see how well those went over), amongst other things.

Kajy, Warhammer Online's pretty much an all out PvP game... The creators also made Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) which is RvR (Realm vs Realm, or Continent vs Continent if you will...). Warhammer Online is based on Warhammer, the card/figurine/paper based RPG... I've never played Warhammer, but I have seen it in comic shops.

I just spent the last two months beta testing WARR. Yes the NDA is lifted and they are in open beta for pre orders.

It is not all out PvP but for progressive purposes it might as well be. You can only empower your self to a point and then if you want better gear you need to pvp. A lot of their quest are pvp. They have battle grounds, and open rvr areas. RvR is the same as pvp , they just wanted to copywright a different term. Some of thier ideas are inovative and the art is very true to the Warhammer table top game. So its more gritty , less pretty if that makes sense. Plenty of snarls and gritting teeth. I think the flaming windmills were my favorite piece of artwork. That and the swirly pinkish purple smoke stuff for one of the dark elf sorceress spell cast.

The game has been officially released.
Is there anyone else here playing the game?

What are your thoughts? How does it compare to other mmo's out there?

I'm playing on the Ostermark sever and having a great time. I love that at any moment you can do something different

There are:

~Quest that are normally done solo

~Public quest that are normally done in groups (but you can come and go as you please)

~RvR, full out combat to capture specific areas

~Scenario PvP, Instanced match up, similar (but better) then WoW battlegrounds

I'm not very good about writing write ups, but if you have any questions I'll answer what I can.

I am mostly on Iron Rock but am working a server I play in my daytime since I am in the UK.

I am having a blast though. I kind of find the game to be a cross between CoH and EQ2/WoW with bringing some of it's own elements to the game.

I like a lot of things they have done and hoping for some tweaking on things but overall I am really enjoying it.

I am playing Warhammer right now. It has a lot of RvR stuff that is an option. Though, its not mandatory or forced. I think without it, the game would be lacking.

Back