Warhammer

I think I'll pass. I had my fill of the cartoony look from WoW. I'm more a fan of serious epic fantasy and MMOs more geared towards RP.

Warhammer isn't going to be anywhere near "cartoony" as WoW. Ever play Dark Age of Camelot? Same game engine, just a bit updated to handle better than the patched, patched and repatched engine DAoC is sitting on. It's 100x more lifelike than WoW, and I definitely don't like WoW's cartoon-like graphics, whereas, I spent almost 4 years playing DAoC.

Take another look at those screenshots ;)

I may not play Warhammer since I'm not a Warhammer fan, but since I like Mythic, I may check it out at least.

~ Jaraeth

I love Warhammer too. Play Warhammer 40k all the time with costom flags and all. Closest thing to General Chaos I've found so far. I'll look at the screenshots again. It doesn't look as cartoony as WoW, but it's not even close to as realistic looking as EQ2. Of course I don't like the EQ2 american modles either...maybe I just like the asian art styles better.

Yay! It took me awhile to find this thread because I didn't think it would be so far back...
Jaraeth said:
Warhammer isn't going to be anywhere near "cartoony" as WoW. Ever play Dark Age of Camelot? Same game engine, just a bit updated to handle better than the patched, patched and repatched engine DAoC is sitting on. It's 100x more lifelike than WoW, and I definitely don't like WoW's cartoon-like graphics, whereas, I spent almost 4 years playing DAoC.

Take another look at those screenshots

Yes, i've heard people saying this is going to be cartoony, but after playing DAoC I can't bring myself to believe that. DAoC was one of the best games in terms of good graphics with minimum computer requirements. I probably spent that long. It was a game that actually captured my attention. I have seen the recent RvR tiers videos and am getting slightly nervous tho'...
RvR was great in DAoC, I hope they keep that legacy.
I get a chance monthly to get into closed beta!

Realistic Fantasy graphics is the same as saying... Nonfiction fiction. It's bull----, sheer utter bull----. Plus EQ2's graphic models are not realistic in any measure of art. They're deformed in a fantasy deformation just as WoW or any MMO is. In fact the only realistic looking MMO I've seen use realistic looking art has been the Matrix. Even CoH and V use fantasy deformation in their artwork. So to discredit a game merely.. Bah, it's completely mind boggling. Anywho..

Warhammer's going to be one of the better PvP MMOs made, probably ever. Just because even if it's LOOSELY based on Warhammer's game play it'll be fun. Plus aside from the PvP there seems to be a lot of work on content and game play over all. Warhammer and Age of Conan are the games to watch.

it looks good. ...Have you seen DAoC? It isn't what you describve it as. It just isn't like a cartoon. Take a look. Even download a free trial to get a hinto of the grapics.

I played it and it was cartoony too. They're video games with animated 3d pixled covered characters. They're everyone god damn cartoony. That's why they're generally called TOONs.

Can I just say I can't stand the expression 'toon' in MMOs.

I'll be giving Warhammer a VERY serious go.

Less toony? Yeah, and I'm the on talkin' about nuts! Ya'll are crazy. They're all toony.
race_valk.gif

Cartoon isn't really an extreme to one end or another. Some games look more Saturday Morning, some look like living fantasy art, some use asian deformity, others use common extremes in the name of art. Fact is, there's no such thing as a realistic looking MMO.
Realistic is best described here..
VG Cats! Comics
Anyway, if folks pass up Warhammer and it's actual innovation because the artwork is toony or like WoWs, then they don't deserve to play it. It should be noted that Warcraft's artwork was born from Warhammer way when. I'd rather play a good game than look at something blurry and brown with no substance to it.

Luciro said:
Anyway, if folks pass up Warhammer and it's actual innovation because the artwork is toony or like WoWs, then they don't deserve to play it. It should be noted that Warcraft's artwork was born from Warhammer way when.
Well I'll go on the record as saying I love Warhammer's art style and have done since the boardgames. But that still doesn't stop me absolutely cringing everytime someone says something about a "toon". It just sounds so lame, compared to "character" or even "avatar".

Less toony? Yeah, and I'm the on talkin' about nuts! Ya'll are crazy. They're all toony.
race_valk.gif

Cartoon isn't really an extreme to one end or another. Some games look more Saturday Morning, some look like living fantasy art, some use asian deformity, others use common extremes in the name of art. Fact is, there's no such thing as a realistic looking MMO.
Realistic is best described here..
VG Cats! Comics
Anyway, if folks pass up Warhammer and it's actual innovation because the artwork is toony or like WoWs, then they don't deserve to play it. It should be noted that Warcraft's artwork was born from Warhammer way when. I'd rather play a good game than look at something blurry and brown with no substance to it.

I love that strip. :D Every new game out on the market today acts as if bloom is the greatest things since orange soda. and we all know orange soda is much better than overusing bloom.

Now that I have added orange soda into the topic, Zink will be able to make a short post about it. ;)

more realistic than WoW or EQ. DAoC FT graphical win!!
Go Mythic!
Not EA part tho...
Anyway screenshots are always more toony looking than in-game stuff.

Back