Way Back Into Love

Danny's parents sound simply wwwooonnnnddddeeerrrrfffuuulll... :rolleyes: And because they weren't willing to accept Sydney and they won't accept Owen, they're going to miss out on a lot. And their loss will be Michael's gain.

Chris

Nine

About a week after Owen was baptized, Michael had a few days off from work and just as promised, he came over to Sydney’s house to help her finish decorating Owen’s nursery.

Knocking on the door, he was soon met by Sydney who seemed to be completely covered in paint and yet, she stirred feelings inside him that he never thought possible.

“Hey, come on in.”
“Thanks. You look like you’ve been already painting without me.”
“That obvious huh?”
“Yeah well the paint on your clothes kind of gave you away.”
“I know.”

And for the first time since he had gotten to know her, she actually smiled broadly and he couldn’t help but smile back at her.
“So did you bring some clothes who can become dirty?”
“Yeah.”
“Okay, well the bathroom is over there and I’ll be in the nursery which is just opposite from the bathroom.”
“Okay.”
“Good.”
“Oh hey, where’s Owen?”
“He’s with my neighbour. She offered to take him for the day since I obviously can’t decorate the nursery and watch him too.”
“I see. Well we’ll finish quick so he doesn’t have to be away from you for too long.”
“Thanks.”
“You’re welcome.”

And as soon as he came back out of the bathroom, clad in a worn of jeans and a green t-shirt, he walked into the nursery to see Sydney already sitting on the floor with stamps of bears and clouds laying everywhere around her.
So far he noticed that only the walls had been painted in a very soft colour.

“Okay, so I’m ready.”
“Good, because we still have a lot of work to do.”
“I can see that. So what are all those stamps for?”
“Well, I want to paint playing boy bears on the wall with these stamps.”
“Okay so how do you want to do this?”
“Well I want to have it on each wall but we have to watch out that we paint it high enough so I can put the furniture back and so you can still see the bears and stuff.”
“We can do this.”
“Yeah.”

And after having taken each a stamp and some paint, they started their long work hours and even though it hadn’t been an easy job and they had often reconsidered things, it had all worked out in the end and it was a beautiful nursery room.

“You know, I actually want to be as old as Owen right now. My parents never gave me such a cool room to sleep in.”
“Do you mean that?”
“Of course I mean that, seriously Sydney, you did a great job with this.”
“Thank you, it really means a lot to me.”
“You’re welcome. Well, I guess I should go now.”
“Oh okay.”
“I’ll see you later.”
“Yeah. Oh, umm, are you free tomorrow evening?”
“Yeah sure, why?”
“Well, I just thought that I should thank you properly for helping me out by uhm…making you dinner.”

And even though she didn’t mean more by it, she couldn’t help but feel a slight bit nervous.
“I’d love to.”
“I’ll see you tomorrow at seven then.”
“Seven it is. Bye.”
“Bye.”

Ten

The entire day Sydney had been busy with cleaning up everything in her apartment so that it would be all clean and neat by the time Michael came over at seven for dinner.

Needless to say that by the time it was actually seven o'clock, she was beyond being nervous and she started to question herself if asking him for dinner just to thank him wasn't a little over the top.

But she didn't have a lot of time to think about that, because when she had just finished getting dressed, she already heard the doorbell.

Quickly checking if Owen was still asleep in his crib, she made her way to the door and greeted Michael with a big smile.

"Hey, come on in."
"Thanks. Oh, here, I brought these."

And that's when she saw he was holding out a dozen of beautiful red roses for her and a cute little winnie the pooh bear for Owen.
"These are beautiful."
"I didn't know what kind of flowers you liked so I kind of played safe and took the roses."
"They're perfect, thank you."
"You're welcome."
"Oh and Owen is asleep so you can go and place his bear with him yourself if you want while I check up on the food."
"Sure."
"It's the second door..."
"Right across from the bathroom, I know, I helped you remember?"
"Sorry."
"It's okay, I'll be right back."

But when Michael still hadn't returned after five minutes, she decided to go check up her son and Michael to see if something was wrong.
But as soon as she walked into the nursery, she saw that things were far from being wrong or off key.

In the beautiful rocking chair that she had once gotten from her parents, long before they both died, now sat Michael with a fast asleep Owen in his arms and the sight alone, already made her have tears in her eyes.

It was only when she wanted to turn around again and go back to the kitchen, that Michael noticed her presence.

"Hey, I"m sorry for staying away so long."
"It's okay."
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I just,...I always pictured Danny would be just like this, you know, sitting here with his children."
"I'm sorry I didn't want to upset you, it's just that he woke up when I placed the bear next to him and that's why I wanted him to go back to sleep."
"It's okay. Thank you."
"Sure."
"Well, dinner is ready."
"Great."

And as soon as he had placed Owen back in his crib, they both went to the kitchen and had a nice evening.

Eleven

~18 months later~

It was still relatively early in the afternoon when Michael decided to call Sydney and ask her if she and Owen wanted to join him in his walk to the park, but instead of hearing her cheerful greeting he normally heard when he called her, he got to hear a very raspy reply.

"Hello?"
"Syd, are you okay? You don't sound so well."
"I'm okay, I just have a terrible cold and a major head ache and Owen seems to like keeping me up these days."
"Do you want me to come over?"
"No, it's okay. Shouldn't you be at work anyway?"
"I actually have a few days off. You know, I'm coming over and I'll take care of Owen so you can get some rest."
"You don't have to do that Michael."
"It's no trouble at all. I'll be there in half an hour, I just have to pick up some things on my way over there."

And indeed, only thirty minutes later, he arrived at her place with two bags full of groceries.
"What are all these?"
"Dinner."
"Dinner? Why?"
"Well, I'll make you some home made soup so you can feel better again soon and in the mean time I'll entertain Owen."
"I didn't know you could cook."
"Well, not a lot of people do but my mom taught me just in case so that I can at least survive on healthy food."
“Smart woman.”
“Tell her that twice and she’ll never let go of you.”
“I see.”
“Anyway, why don’t you go back to bed and I’ll call out for you as soon as it’s ready and I’ll take care of Owen in the meantime.”
“Are you sure?”
“Absolutely. Every sick person needs someone to help him or her so she doesn’t have to go through this alone and it will help you heal quicker.”
“Well since you are a doctor, I’ll just take your advise and go to bed.”
“Good girl.”
“Yeah yeah, don’t push it.”
“Okay.”

And just as he was about to walk into Owen’s nursery, she called out his name.

“Yeah?”
“Thanks for doing this.”
“No problem.”
“Oh uhm, whatever you do to entertain Owen, please make him practise his facial expressions. The paediatric said we need to work on that more.”
“Okay, don’t worry.”
“Oh and he likes to be placed in his high chair while I’m working in the kitchen.”
“Syd!”
“What?”
“Go to sleep. We’ll be fine.”
“Sorry.”
“Don’t apologize for being a mom.”
“I’ll go to bed now.”
“Good. Sweet dreams.”
“I’ll see you later.”

And with that they both went their separate ways, Michael into the nursery and Sydney to her own room to get the well deserved sleep.
About an hour and a half later, Sydney awoke to the feel of a warm hand slightly shaking her awake and as soon as she opened her eyes, she looked into the beautiful green ones that belonged to Michael Vaughn.

“Hey.”
“Hey. Dinner’s ready.”
“Good. How long did I sleep?”
"About an hour and a half."
"That long?"
"Syd, please, you derved the rest."
"Yeah, but still..."
"But nothing. Come on sleepy head, dinner is waiting for us in the kitchen."
"Where's Owen?"
"Well, I think he isn't a big fan of watching me cook because he started fussing as soon as I had made the soup so we played a bit and I think he fell asleep about a half an hour ago so I placed him back in his crib."
"Thanks."

And with that they walked out of her room and into the kitchen where Michael had set the table for the two of them.

"That was very sweet of you but I could have helped."
"Nope, tonight you're not doing anything. All you have to do tonight is sit back and relax."
"Okay, but only if you allow me to at least help you with the dishes?"
"Deal."
"Good."

Twelve

After the wonderful meal Michael had prepared, Sydney helped him do the dishes just as she promised him she would do and even though he had rather see her rest some more, he couldn’t help but feel glad that she had been so stubborn because as she had stood there next to him, he knew what it would feel like to be with her like that every day for the rest of his life.

And frankly there was nothing else on earth that he wanted more than to be more then just friends with her and even though he had held or at least had tried to keep his emotions to himself in the year and a half he had already known her, he just couldn’t hold it in no longer.

So when they sat down to watch a movie after the dished had been cleaned, it took him only thirty minutes longer to finally gather all the courage he needed to tell her how he felt.

Gently calling out her name, since she was deep in thoughts during the movie, she finally looked up at him and she too felt that there was something different about him and that they indeed needed to talk.

“Syd?”
“Yeah?”
“There’s something I have to tell you.”
“Okay.”
“I know it may sound weird to you and that you might not think alike with me on this one but I’ve been meaning to tell you this for a long time now and it has taken a lot for me to gather up the courage seeing the circumstances but I have t o say this.”
“Michael, whatever it is, you can tell me.”
“Actually, I don’t know if it’s a good idea.”
“Try.”

But when she heard the sweetest three words, she was suddenly taken aback and didn’t really know if she had indeed heard him right.

“You..you..love me?”
“I love you Syd and I have for the past eighteen months.”
“I..Michael, I don’t know what to say.”
“I knew it was a bad idea, forget I even said anything.”

And just when he was about to get up from his seat next to her on the couch, she gently took his hand and he couldn’t do anything else but sit back down and listen to her.

“Michael, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to say that, well I did but it didn’t sound the way I wanted it to sound.”
“Okay.”
“I have a son Michael…a son who needs me more than anything because he needs to be taken care of even more so than other children and you have to understand that I come with a package. More than one really because I’ve been through a lot and I’m not like other women.”
“I know that.”
“I just want to know if you’re up to this Michael because as much as I love you too, I don’t want to have my heart broken once again.”
“You love me?”
“I do… for the past eighteen months you have been my saviour and my safe haven and I don’t know when I started to fall in love with you but I know that you are a great person and that you’re wonderful with Owen and somewhere along this sad path in my life, you have made it all better and you made me alive again.”
“Oh Syd, you made me feel alive too. You made me feel that I actually wanted to become part of a family more so than anything else.”
“Promise me you won’t hurt me Michael, I can’t get hurt again.”
“I promise, nothing will happen to you or Owen or to us. I love you Syd.”
“I love you too.”

And that’s the last thing they both said before he gently leaned over to her and kissed her with the promise that he would always be there for her and Owen and that he would make her happy again.

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THOSE OF YOU WHO ACTUALLY CAME BY TO REVIEW EVEN THOUGH THEY DID NOT HAVE A LOT OF TIME. THAT WAS VERY NICE OF YOU...
HOWEVER-DUE TO THE FACT THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE SEEM TO BE ON HOLIDAY OR SOMETHING...I WILL BE UPDATING THIS MORE FREQUENTLY. FROM SUNDAY ON I WILL BE UPDATING EVERY DAY WITH A COUPLE OF CHAPTERS.

Boy_Nursery_Euro_1_.jpg

Owen's nursery

Loved the picture of the nursery, Owen deserves it. And Sydney deserves a wonderful guy like Michael who will love both Owen and her. It's especially nice for Owen to have someone else in his life that can help with his special needs.

Chris

awesome chapters they are so great
i loved the painiting of the room it was so cute
and i love that they are in love with each other
its awesome uve made it realisitc because obviously syd would have reservations about being in a relationship but she like clears the air
i also love that you didnt have vaughn say "i love you" that you just knew by the reaction syd gave
ummmm what else did i love
oh yer ALL OF IT
and you will be updating daily THAT seriously ROCKS

I just read this, and I must say I love it, very sweet! I have not been here for a few weeks, or I am sure I would have reviewed after each chapter. Anyways, can't wait for an update!

Thirteen

It was only two days after Sydney and Michael had confessed their love to each other that they decided to go on their first date. The first of so many other dates because neither of them wanted to rush things and risk the chance of losing something that was so beautiful.

So having the fact that they did indeed already knew each other long enough to know most things about each other, it was easier for them to just keep most things as they were before they were a couple.

The only thing that was different was that now they could actually hold hands and occasionally kiss each other and they no longer had to hold back their emotions.

“Hey.”
“Hey.”
“So are you ready to go?”
“Yeah, I just have to grab Owen’s jacket and then we can go.”

Since they both wanted to involve Owen as much as they could, since he was already adjusted to having Michael around from the very first minute he was born, they had decided to make as many dates in a family kind of atmosphere, hence the reason why they had decided to have a sort of family picnic at the park.

After having walked around the park for about an hour and enjoying the relaxation, they sat down on the rug they had brought with them and started spreading out the wonderful food Michael had offered to make.

“So what did your colleague say when you asked him to fill in for you?”
“Well to be honest, he was actually glad I took a day off.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, because this is like the first day off I’ve taken in a long time.”
“You really need to get out more.”
“I know, why do you think I said I love you?”
“Very kind of you mister Vaughn.”
“I know. So, I was thinking about something the other day…”
“What about?”
“I don’t know, just us...I mean, eighteen months ago I was this pathetic doctor who no one wanted to go out with and suddenly you came along and turned my world upside down only to find that your life changed a lot too and not in a positive way.”
“It wasn’t all negative. I got to know you, remember?”
“Yeah but still, you lost a lot too.”
“True and at the beginning I wanted to die too and just have the world forget about me but you showed me that there were people who needed me and you helped me up again. What I’ve been through is something I don’t even wish to happen to my worst enemy but I do know that everything that has happened has made me to the person I am today and yes it was a hard road to get to this point, to where I am today but if by any chance I could do it all different, I wouldn’t because then I would never have gotten Owen or you. Things happen for a certain reason and I know you are mine.”
“I love you.”
“And I love you…and Owen. You both mean the world to me.”
“You’re perfect you know that?”
“I’m not perfect and if I am, it’s all because of you. You made me to who I am today and I can only say that I like who I am when I am with you.”
“I like who I am when I am with you too and I can only hope that we’ll keep feeling like this for a very long time.”
“So do I.”

And when they kissed each other under the beautiful oak tree, they both felt that they would be okay as long as they could be together.

Fourteen

For the next two months, Sydney and Michael continued their dating pattern and they tried to include Owen as much as they could.

Since Sydney had found a good care centre for children like Owen, it was a bit easier to sometimes leave him there for a few hours so that she and Michael could have a more intimate date then just walks around the park or on the beach.

They of course tried to keep him with them as much as they could because whenever they left him at the care centre, they both felt as if a vital piece of their body and heart was missing.

However, to celebrate their two month anniversary and the fact that they now knew each other for two years, Michael wanted to do something special for the two of them and so he arranged a special weekend for them in Santa Barbara in a small bungalow near the beach so that they could have some private time and in the mean time watch Owen and have him close to them.

Planning a location wasn’t that hard but getting two days off from work in what seemed to be a very busy period at the hospital, was something completely different.

So the next day, he walked up to his best friend and colleague Sam Nichols and told him what he was planning on doing.

“Hey Sam, can I talk to you for a minute?”
“Yeah sure, what is it?”
“Well, I was wondering if you could cover for me for two days?”
“Sure, when?”
“This weekend?”
“You’re lucky that this is Tracy’s sisters’ weekend and they are going to a spa so yeah sure, I’ll cover for you.”
“Thanks Sam, I’ll fill in for you whenever you need it.”
“You better...so what did you plan that you can’t come to work?”
“I was planning on taking Sydney out for a weekend.”
“Nice.”
“Yeah.”
“So where to?”
“Santa Barbara actually.”
“Lucky you.”
“Yeah, I know.”
“So how are things going between you and Sydney?”
“Things are going great actually. We’ve been spending a lot of time together and the three of us are getting along fine.”
“So how is her son doing? He has the Down Syndrome right?”
“Owen, yeah, well so far there haven’t been that many problems and she gets a lot of help from the talk group she’s in. It’s still hard but it’s getting better. So how are things with you and Tracy?”
“Good, we have crossed our four month’ anniversary.”
“Impressive.”
“I know. She changed me completely.”
“I can see that.”
“Good to know. Well, good luck this weekend.”
“Thanks.”
“See you around buddy.”
“Bye.”

And as soon as Sam had left, Michael went back to checking up on his patients.

Fifteen

In order to present her the weekend in an original way, Michael left work a bit earlier that afternoon so that he could pick up flowers on his way home.

Opening the door with the spare key she had given him,he walked inside and as he placed his coat on the couch, he found a note from Sydney saying that she had taken Owen to the park and that she wouldn't be back for another hour, which of course gave him enough time to put his plan into action.

After placing the dozen of roses he had bought in a vase on the living room table and spraying the rose petals he had bought around it, he walked into the kitchen to get the lighter and the candles from the kitchen.

Michael had just finished lighting the candles in the living room when he heard the door open and only a few seconds later he was met by the beautiful and smiling face of his wonderful girlfriend Sydney Bristow.

"Hey..wow...what's all this?"
"Hey, why don't you come and sit down on the couch?"
"Okay, let me just put Owen on his play carpet and I'll be right there."

And as soon as Owen was playing again, she came to sit next to Michael.
"So what's going on? I mean, the flowers are beautiful but I still don't get as to what I deserved this?"
"I love you Syd and ever since you walked into my life you have made it so much better and you have given Owen and me so much already that I wanted to do something back for you."
"Michael, you have already done so much for me."
"I know but I wanted to do something special for all of us so I took the weekend off from work and I am taking you and Owen to a beautiful beach house near Santa Barbara."
"Really?"
"Uhuh."
"Oh my God..really?"
"Yeah."
"You're so perfect...It's been ages since I last went on a holiday."
And as she kissed him, he knew exactly how much it meant to her.

"I love you Michael."
"I love you too."
"Really, thank you for being in my life."
"Thank you for being in mine...I'm glad I got to know you."
"Me too."
"Come on, let's get your things ready."
"Now?"
"Uhuh, we're leaving tonight."
"Okay..I'm already packing."
"Good."

And with that they said goodbye so that Sydney could pack some things for her and Owen and Michael went home to pack his things.

Sixteen

As soon as they arrived at the beautiful beach house that Michael had rented, Sydney was dying to see what the house looked like on the inside.

She was even so curious that the car had barely come to a halt when she was already out of the car and running to the front door.

“Come on Michael!”
“Slow down okay you crazy girl! Let me get Owen first and then I can open the door for you princess.”
“Well hurry up, I want to see it!”
“I’m coming.”

And only five minutes later, Sydney could finally admire the beauty of the house on the inside because as beautiful and elegant the outside had already looked, the inside was even more breathtaking.

Everything had a beautiful cream colour and the furniture were placed strategically as to create a lot of space.

On top of that came the fact that the house gave room for a lot of sunlight to come in which made it even more beautiful then it already was.

“Oh Michael, this is gorgeous.”
“It is isn’t it.”
“I love it.”
“Wait until you’ve seen the porch that actually overlooks the beach and the water.”
“I want to see it.”
“Come on.”

And as she took his hand in hers, he lead her onto the beautiful wooden porch and as soon as she saw the sight in front of her, she was absolutely speechless.

“This is just…wow.”
“That was exactly the same reaction I gave the first time.”
“You’ve been here before?”
“Yeah…this house actually belongs to a good friend of mine so I’ve been here a few times before when he invited me.”
“It’s just so peaceful here. Thank you for taking me here.”
“You’re welcome. Come on, let’s get our things unpacked so we can take a walk on the beach later on.”
“Deal.”

Since there were enough rooms and Michael didn’t want to push her into sleeping in the same room, they both chose a room and started to unpack their belongings for the weekend.

A short hour later, they met each other again in the hallway and took Owen for a long walk on the beach.

house.jpg
lliving.jpg

living2.jpg

bedroom.jpg

Thanks for all the kind reviews everyone :kiss:

That's a beautiful beachhouse, I would love going there too. I'd say Sydney has found herself a perfect boyfriend in that, Michael cares so much for Owen and her.

Chris

Thanks for the wonderful replies everyone :D

Seventeen

They had walked for over an hour on the beach and when they arrived back at the beach house they were so exhausted from their walk, that Michael offered to order some take out food so that neither of them would still have to stand in the kitchen for a long time to make dinner.

After dinner and cleaning up, they both watched a children movie with Owen so that by the time it was eight o’clock, he was all ready for bed so that Michael and Sydney could still have some alone time.

“Hey, I’m back.”
“Good, I missed you. Is he already asleep?”
“Yeah, I guess the sun and the fresh breeze did him good. He wasn’t fussy for once.”
“I guess we’ll have to have more trips over here then.”
“I wouldn’t mind.”

And Michael knew how much she meant it when she came to sit down next to him and when she snuggled over close to him, he couldn’t help but kiss her.

“You’re so beautiful.”
“Michael…”
“You are and I love you.”
“I love you too.”

This of course only resulted in them kissing each other again and the more time that passed, the more passionate they began to kiss.

It was only when she suddenly felt his hands starting to unbutton her shirt, that she slightly pulled back.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have…”
“No no, it’s okay, I was kind of opening your shirt too so it’s not your fault.”
“Yeah but still, I shouldn’t have started it.”
“What if I wanted you to start it?”

And as she said that, she turned slightly red when he looked at her , love evident in his eyes.

“Did you…want it I mean?”
“Yes.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes.”
“ I mean, I don’t want to rush things between us and I certainly don’t want you to regret it afterwards.”
“I promise I won’t. I need you Michael and I’m ready to be with you completely.”
“I need you too Syd.”
“Make love to me…”

And as soon as they entered her room and lay down on the bed, they slowly started to take off each other’s clothes and started their dance of love where they both discovered each other and the love they felt inside their hearts for one another.

Eighteen
When Michael awoke the next morning, he felt as if he was the happiest man because he had been able to make love to the most beautiful woman he had ever met and who he loved so much that it was impossible to even describe it in words.

On top of that came the fact that she was still laying in his arms and as he turned his face as to look at her own, he could still see a soft smile play around her lips on her beautiful angelic face.

Not wanting to get up before she woke up and not knowing what else to do, he just stared at her until she finally awoke a half an hour later.

As soon as she saw him watching her, she smiled the widest smile she had ever produced and leaned over so that she could kiss him in order to wish him a very good morning.

“Good morning.”
“Morning.”
“Did you sleep okay?”
“I did, I haven’t slept this well in ages. You?”
“Me neither.”
“So, do you regret what we did?”
“Not for a second.”
“Me neither.”
“Michael, last night was amazing and I can only love you more because you were so patient and gentle and caring…”
“You were pretty amazing too.”
“Thanks…I just wish we could stay here forever.”
“I know, I don’t want to go home either today but I guess that if we stay here much longer, Sam will personally come and get me and then kill me for letting him do all the work.”
“You’re right.”
“But hey…”
“What?”
“We can still come back here another time.”
“Really?”
“Sure, my friend won’t mind. He and his wife can barely come down here since they are so busy so I’m pretty sure they’ll like having people in the house again. It’s a shame to let this house just stand here.”
“You’re right, I would really like to come back.”
“Then we’ll arrange that.”
“Good.”
“Look, I’m going to make us some breakfast so you can have the shower first if you want.”
“Thanks. I’ll check up on Owen first and then I’ll make him ready and head for that shower.”
“Okay, I’m right down stairs if you need me.”
“Okay.”

And with one last kiss, they both got out of bed.

After having a very amusing dinner, well at least for Owen since he kept on throwing his entire breakfast on the ground, they packed up all their belongings and closed off the house to go back home to Los Angeles, but not without promising each other that they would indeed come back to the beach house and this time for a lot longer than just two days.

Nineteen

Since they hadn’t been home the entire weekend, Sydney came home to a house which had barely food in it so it was absolutely needed for her to go grocery shopping the next day.

With Owen being in the daycare the entire afternoon, it was the perfect moment for her to go shopping.

She had almost finished putting all her groceries in her car when she suddenly heard someone behind her call out her name.

"Sydney?"
And when she turned around she saw who it was.
"Oh my God, Nadia? Wow, I haven't seen you since college. How are you?"
"I'm doing really good. How are you?"
"I'm good."
"So how is Danny? Are you still together?"
"We aren't actually...Danny died two years ago."
"Oh my God Sydney, I'm so sorry, I didn't know."
"It's okay."
"Wow, it must have been heard on you since you guys had always been so close, even during college everyone always said you two would end up married."
"Well we did get married but..."
"It's so strange to see each other again after so many years and find so many things changed."
"You're right. So are you seeing anyone?"
"I got married last year and we're expecting our first child."
"That's so great. Congratulations!"
"Thanks."
"So how far along are you?"
"About three and a half months now."
"You must be so excited."
"I am...Did you and Danny have children?"
"I have a two year old son named Owen but Danny never got to know him because he was born a few months after he died."
"I'm sorry."
"Yeah."
"So are you still alone now?"
"No, I actually got to know someone right after Danny died but we just recently started going out."
"So how did you two meet?"
"We met in hospital actually, he was my doctor."
"Well I'm glad that you got to know someone new."
"So am I."
"It was really nice to see you again."
"It was. I really wish you all the luck with your husband and with your pregnancy."
"Thanks."
"You're welcome."
"Take care too okay?"
"I will."

And when they parted, Sydney actually felt relieved that there was still someone beside Michael thinking about her and eventhough she and Nadia had never been that close while being in school, it was still nice to have talked to someone who had a connection with her old life, a life she used to share with Danny.

Twenty

When Michael called Sydney that evening during his break, it was very evident in his voice that he was very tired and this definitely didn't go unnoticed by Sydney.

"Hey."
"Hey beautiful."
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, why?"
"You don't sound so good."
"Thanks."
"No seriously."
"I'm just tired that's all, there's no need to worry."
"Are you sure?"
"Absolutely. So how was your day?"
"It was good, I ran into an old school friend today and it was actually nice to see her again."
"That's good."
"Yeah, it was...I mean we haven't seen each other since college and still it feels as if we jsut saw each other for the last time yesterday. So how was your day?"
"We had a major crisis here today because a few of our doctors are on holiday or are sick so I'll have to do some extra hours toninght."
"Oh."
"I'm sorry."
"No, it's okay, we can make it up afterwards."
"That's a deal. Oh, hey, there's one more thing."
"Okay."
"Well my mother called this morning."
"Oh..."
"Yeah."
"So what did she say?"
"Well she wondered when she was going to see me again and she kind of wants to meet you too."
"Kind of?"
"Well she wants to meet you this weekend."
"This weekend?"
"Uhuh."
"Okay, well I guess we might as well ge this over with. I just hope she'll like me."
"She will, Syd, don't sorry."
"I guess we'll go and see your mom then this weekend."
"Great. Look, I have to go now."
"Okay, I love you."
"I love you too."
"I'll see you tomorrow night okay?"
"Okay."
"Night Syd."
"NIight."

And as soon as they had hung up, Michael went back to work and Sydney went to give Owen a bath so he could go to sleep.

dude i just got spoilt
i didnt know you updated yesterday so i got to read a tonne of chapters it rocked
and i love their relationship
i just hope amelia (or whatever you named michaels mom) is as awesome as vaughn!!

It was so good that Sydney ran into Nadia. At least she has a friend outside of just Michael. Maybe Nadia and her husband can go out with Sydney and Michael and they can all become good friends. And speaking of good friends, I hope Michael's mother can beome Sydney's friend.

Chris

Twenty-one

The entire way over to Amelia Vaughn's house, Sydney couldn't help but feel slightly nervous because no matter how much Michael loved her and Owen and no matter how he respected them, she always became nervous when meeting new people since she had no idea about how they would react to her or Owen.

Michael on his side, couldn't help but notice her fidgeting with her skirt the entire way and as a way to reassure her, he took of his one hand from the steering wheel and took hers in his.

It was only then that she dared to look up at him again and when she looked into his eyes, she saw nothing but love in them.

"Nervous?"
"Yeah."
"Don't be, she'll love you and adore you."
"Do you really think so?"
"I know so..I know my mom and she would be crazy not to love you both."
"Thanks but I'm still slightly worried."
"You shouldn't be, trust me."

And he was indeed to be trusted because as soon as Michael had introduced both Sydney and Owen to his mother, Amelia Vaughn immediately stepped forward and gave her a big hug while saying that it was a pleasure to finally meet such a great person.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Sydney."
"It's a pleasure to meet you too."
"Michael has told me so many great things about you and Owen seems such a nice boy too."
"He is even though he sometimes has his moments."
"Oh don't they all, look at Michael. He used to be such a rascal and look at what a gentleman he has turned into."
"Mom!"
"Oh don't be so shy..why don't you take your suitcases to your room so that Sydney and I can talk some more."
"Okay sure."
"Oh and you can put Owen's things in the guest room, I set up your little bed there so that he is all settled too."
"Oh Mrs. Vaughn you shouldn't have gone through that much trouble."
"It was no trouble at all and do call me Amelia please, you're practically family."
"Thank you Amelia."
"You're welcome, come let's go sit in the garden so we can talk some more."
"Okay."

And as soon as they had sit down in the garden, they started a very nice conversation filled with lots of laughs and as both women sat there talking, they both felt as if they had known each other for far more longer than only twenty-four hours.

They were so engrossed in their conversation that they hadn't even heard Michael coming but as soon as he saw them sitting their talking as if they were two best friends, he knew that Sydney was no longer wondering if his mother liked her and he felt that he definitely needed to talk to his mother about what he was planning on asking Sydney as soon as they were back home.

Twenty-two

The three talked animatedly for another few hours but by the time it was time for dinner, Amelia announced that she was going to go inside and made them some dinner.

Hearing this, Sydney got up from her seat too and announced that she was going to help her cook to which Amelia insisted that she was her guest and that she didn’t have to do anything but she insisted on helping because she thought it was the least she could do for thanking Amelia for her hospitality and for having been so kind to her and Owen.

While Sydney had offered to help Amelia in the kitchen, Michael had offered to take Owen to the park and show him his hometown and since Sydney knew how much the boys enjoyed being together, she couldn’t do anything but agree with Michael.

So as soon as Michael and Owen were on their way to the park, the two women started to cook a lovely dinner and in the mean time they talked about everything and nothing just so they could get to know each other better.

“So tell me Sydney, do you like to cook?”
“I love it…Michael is always making fun of me when I am standing in the kitchen again for hours on end making every possible meal or dessert.”
“That’s good, Michael loves to eat.”
“I know, it’s like he’s eating for two.”
“Just like his father.”
“Really?”
“Oh yes, William was always complaining that he was always hungry and then people would look at me as if I didn’t feed him properly but in reality he had just finished eating. I don’t know where he could all put it. It was madness sometimes.”
“Michael told me that he was pretty close with his father before he died.”
“They were, they were best friends and it hurt him so much when his father died of cancer. It was as if a part of him had gone too.”
“Do you still miss him?”
“It’s strange because he has been death for over fifteen years but I still miss him every day. He was my first and last love. Do you still miss Danny?”
“Yeah…and as much as I love your son, there’s still a part of me that thinks of Danny because he was my first love too and he’s Owen’s father.”
“I know.”
“But no matter what I do love your son a lot and he made me realise that I can love someone again.”
“He loves you too Sydney, I can see it in his eyes. His eyes are full of love for you and your son and I can only hope that that special love will always be a part of the two of you.”
“I hope so too and Amelia?”
“Yes my dear?”
“Thank you for not judging me or Owen when you met me this morning. It means a lot to me.”
“My mother always said to me that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover and she was right you know..what’s on the inside is all that counts and dear, your heart is so pure that it’s hard for me not to adore you.”
“Thank you.”
“You’re welcome. Come on, let’s finish of dinner so our two boys can have something warm to eat when they return from the park.”
“Okay.”

Twenty-three

When Sydney had gone upstairs to take a bath and to give Owen his bath too, she had given Michael and Amelia the perfect opportunity to talk to each other and it didn’t take long before they took their chance.

“Hey mom?”
“Yes dear?”
“Can I ask you something?”
“Sure.”
“What do you think about me and Sydney?”
“I was wondering when this was coming…oh dear, you both look so perfect together and I can honestly say that I hope you’ll stay with her as long as possible because I do like this girl and I would love to have some grand-children before I die.”
“Mom!”
“Seriously, you two are wonderful! She is such a sweet girl and Owen is so adoring even if he fusses sometimes. And you look happier than I’ve ever seen you before.”
“She makes me happy mom and I can’t picture a life without her anymore. All I used to do was work and now all I want to do is spend time with her and show her how much I love her.”
“I know.”
“I want to spend the rest of my life with her mom and as soon as we get back home, I’m going to ask her to come and live with me.”
“Really?”
“Uhuh.”
“Oh son, you don’t know how much it means to me to see my son so happy and in love.”
“I’m really glad that you like her.”
“What’s not to like?”
“I don’t know but she was so nervous on the way over here that I started to get nervous to in the end because I really want you two to be okay with being around each other.”
“Michael, trust me when I say that I couldn’t have wished for a better girl for my son.”
“Thanks mom.”
“You’re welcome.”
“So what did you guys talk about when I was away with Owen to the park?”
“Girl stuff and about you of course.”
“That I already feared.”
“You have nothing to fear about, we kept it nice.”
“Very reassuring mom.”
“Well if you don’t believe me, you can ask Sydney.”
“I will…Look I’m going to go see how much work Syd still has and then I’m off to bed.”
“Okay…goodnight.”
“Goodnight mom.”

And just as he was about to enter his bedroom, he saw Sydney coming out of his room carrying Owen on her arm.
”Hey…all ready?”
“Yeah, I’m just going to go and say goodnight to your mother and then I’ll be right there.”
“Okay..do you want me to put Owen to bed?”
“Do you mind?”
“Of course not.”
“Okay then, I’ll give him a kiss later then.”
“Okay.”

And with that he took Owen into his own arms and put him to bed while Sydney went to say goodnight to his mother.

Twenty-four

As soon as Sydney crept into bed, she felt Michael scoop over to her side and she instantly felt his arms come around her waist and as she leaned into his embrace, she had never felt more happy than at that exact moment.

“I love you.”
“I love you too and thanks for letting me meet your mom.”
“You’re welcome.”
“I really had a great time today and I’m glad that she was so friendly to us.”
“Didn’t I tell you not to worry?”
“I know but still…it’s weird to meet your boyfriend’s parents because what if they don’t accept you? It happened before.”
“I know but my mom isn’t anything like Danny’s parents and I still can’t understand why they never liked you.”
“They were just different than anyone else and somehow I had already expected them not to like me before I even met them. Danny always told me that they were very reserved and that they didn’t often like someone when they weren’t like them and I guess it was just true.”
“Don’t you ever wish they had changed after Danny…”
“Died?”
“Yeah.”
“I don’t know…a part of me did think that they could forgive Danny for ever marrying me and a part of me did wish they would forget everything and that they would support me and see the little person that their son had created but then I remembered that they had chosen to let Danny go because of me and Owen was a creation of their son and me and I just knew that they would never show up again. I don’t mind the fact that I don’t see them or that they don’t talk to me but I feel sad for Owen because he didn’t get to know his father and he will never be able to hear stories about him from when he was little because he doesn’t have any grandparents to tell him about it.”
“You’re a strong woman you know that?”
“I’m not strong Michael.”
“Yes, you are because you have been through so much already and you still keep going on every single day. I don’t know how you do it.”
“You don’t? Then I’ll tell you…I can wake up everyday and do what’s needed because I have these two amazing men next to me who help me get through every moment, sad or happy, they are there for me and that’s what keeps me going.”
“ Thank you.”
“You’re welcome…hey, Michael?”
“Yeah?”
“I like your mom.”
“She likes you too and she adores Owen.”
“I know, she told me. I’m actually glad that he got to know her too.”
“So am I…”

And with one more passionate kiss they bode each other goodnight and drifted off in a very peaceful sleep.

awww that was really super cute
i dont get why more people arent reading this its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo super awesome!!!

Giving up Owen is Danny's parents loss but Amelia's gain. Some day Danny's parents are going to regret that they never got to know their grandson.

Chris

Back