Ways to Know Your From a Small Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpot

The Bubbly
Those of us who grew up in a small town will laugh when we read this.

Those of you who didn't will be in disbelief... but trust me every one of these are true. (Well, not all of them...)

Hope you enjoy it...

1. You can name everyone you graduated with. -->Yep. All 36 of them...

2. You know what 4-H is ---> Yep. Wasn't in it though.

3. You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted, see #6. --> Went to parties in barns, but they never got busted.

4. You used to "drag" main. --->Well, we cruised Main

5. You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour. ---> No...

6. You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't. --> Our town cops were so incompetent anyway..

7. You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow). -->Unless your friends worked at the store ;)

8. When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9. You knew which section of the ditch to find the beer your buyer dropped off. --> I didn't drink that much in HS

10. It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town. --> The boys at my school sucked.

11. The whole school went to the same party after graduation. -->Yep, we put announcements for the parties in the paper too.

12. You don't give directions by street name: "Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks east to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field." -->Yep.

13. The golf course had only 9 holes. >Yep

14. You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. >Yeah I did it

15. Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason. > I didn't live in the country.

16. The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty," but is actually just like your town. >Galva is snotty.

17. You refer anyone with a house newer then 1980 as the "rich people." >Nooo

18. The people in the "big city" dress funny then you pick up the trend 2 years later. > We weren't that bad...

19. Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or the town pub. > Yep, all my friends worked there.

20. You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school occasionally. >No, but we did have drive your tractor to school day once a year. I, however, did not drive a tractor.

21. The gym teacher suggest you haul hay for the summer to get stronger. >Nope

22. Directions are given using THE stop light as a reference. >We didn't even have a stoplight.

23. You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere. >Yep!

24. Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names. >Didn't have any that went to school there..

25. Your teachers remember when they taught your parents. > Nope.

26. You can charge at the local stores or write checks without any ID. >True

27. The closest McDonalds is 45 miles away (or more). >No, 20 minutes.

28. The closest mall is over an hour away. > Well, the good one is 45, but there is a crappy one about 20 minutes away.

29. It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower. >How else are you going to put gas in it? :lol:

30. You've peed in a cornfield. >I did not. My friends did though.

31. Most people go by a nickname. >Yep

lol Though I don't drink or smoke and not many around my town do, but everyone knows if a teenager in town does by the next day

i could not imagine living in a small town...no offense, but i think i'd hate it...as it is, i think my HS is too small at 4300 people...

Nad said:
lol Though I don't drink or smoke and not many around my town do, but everyone knows if a teenager in town does by the next day
Yeah all the parents knew who the 'bad' kids were...

our high school is considered HUGE, like the biggest in our district with 1500 people and that has students from 4 cities

about the teachers: I had a Spanish teacher one year and the next, the Spanish teacher who had taught him. Then there was the time I had three teachers with the same last name which ended up they were in the same family Mom, son, and granddaughter, that was creepy

Nad said:
our high school is considered HUGE, like the biggest in our district with 1500 people and that has students from 4 cities

about the teachers: I had a Spanish teacher one year and the next, the Spanish teacher who had taught him. Then there was the time I had three teachers with the same last name which ended up they were in the same family Mom, son, and granddaughter, that was creepy
That is creepy! :blink: Mine wasn't that bad... Typical small town stuff though, everyone knew everything about everyone else...

My school was combined of two towns with populations of about 600 or so each. I think maybe in the high school AND junior high, there was about 200 kids...

Even now when I run into people I went to school with when I'm with my fiance, I'm always like "Ohhhh, I can tell you a story about them...' Then I wonder, God, what stories do they have about me?! :thinking:

VaughnFan13 said:
i could not imagine living in a small town...no offense, but i think i'd hate it...as it is, i think my HS is too small at 4300 people...
4300! :blink: my HS only had 800!, admittedly it was only years 9-12 and select-entry, but still...

I'm glad I went to a small school. Well, it could have been a little bigger I guess, but I am exposed to mass student population at the state university I'm at now... so I guess it all evens out, right?

I don't mind, I deal with it; I love the city but it is great being where I am with cows next door (y)

I would have grown up in a bigger town, but my parents moved there to get away from the city...

Like I said, I'm happy I went to a small school :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back