We Still Have Each Other

Caro

Cadet
Hey there! This is my new fic, called "We Still Have Each Other". To sum up, Syd and Vaughn are married, but they're problems they need to take care of, no matter how painful it is for them. Feedback is welcomed. Hope you like it!!! :cool:

--------------

Chapter 1 ~ * First Reactions *

The moon and the stars were absent that night. The water made low noises as it crashed on the rocks beneath. In the distance, an owl could be heard. The trees were bending in the wind.

The tears kept coming, she couldn’t stop them. The pain was so strong she could barely breathe. She felt a lump on her throat. She was so angry she couldn’t control her actions anymore. The fear was overtaking her, and she couldn’t think straight any longer. So she was standing on the edge of the cliff, ready to take the jump.

She was about to breathe her last breath, to say her last words, to sigh for the last time, when the sound of a car approaching in the distance made her stop for just a moment. She turned around. It was him.

“ Don’t!!! ” – he screamed, running towards her

She was breathing heavier than before. She could barely make out the words. “ It’s – it’s too…. late. ”

“ No, it’s not! Sydney you are a strong woman. We can pull through this…. Together. ”

He moved closer to her, now being only inches apart. She was still having trouble breathing, and was trembling so much that Michael was afraid she might fall unintentionally.

“ Give me your hand. We need to talk about this. ” – he said, as he took her hand in his and pulled her away from the edge of the precipice.

She gasped as she fell into his loving arms. She started crying her heart out on his shoulder, sobbing so much she could feel her shirt wet. She was so weak she would have fallen if Michael hadn’t been holding her so tightly.

“ We’ll get through this, I promise. ” – he said reassuringly

She just kept crying. Michael was crying with her now. The only reason he hadn’t collapsed on the floor so far was for Sydney’s sake. One of them had to be strong. But the truth is, he didn’t think he could be so any longer.

“ How? How will we? When our baby has been ripped away from us? ” – she said, still in tears

It had started raining, bur neither of them had noticed

“ I don’t know yet. But we have to find a way. We will find her. ” He paused, and took her head in his hands. “ We need to have faith and hope. We still have each other. ”

Sydney just nodded. It broke Michael’s heart to see her like that.

“ Come on, we better go now. ”

“ Ok. ” – was all she said

They walked to where the car was parked, with their arms around each other, both still shedding tears and soaking wet.

Vaughn opened the door of the car, and gently helped Sydney get in. He closed the door, and got in the car himself. He turned on the engine, and before he started driving, he took one look at his wife. She was staring vaguely out of the window, looking hurt and distraught. She didn’t utter a word the whole way home, until Michael stopped the car when they got to their house.

“ I’m sorry. ” She paused. “ I’m sorry I stormed off and left you alone. You’re having the hardest time coping with it too. And all I did was trouble you even more. But I feel…. I feel like I’m losing my mind. ” – she said, swallowing some fresh tears

“ Don’t apologize. I know exactly how you feel. And we are together to help each other, to relieve some of the pain. ” - he said, drying some of her tears

“ It seems impossible though. I feel a void….. she’s our little girl….. and God only knows where she is right now. ” – she was bawling now

“ I know. But right now, we have to get inside, and we’ll take a shower, and then we’ll try really hard to get some sleep. ”

Michael got out of the car and helped her get out as well. They got inside the house, and the memories of them as a happy family overtook them both. The reality of their situation hit them yet once again, and Sydney could no longer remain standing up. She walked towards the couch and lied down, still crying. Michael saw her and sat on the couch, stroking her wet hair. After a few minutes, he picked her up and took her to the bedroom.
He undressed her, leaving the soaked clothes scattered on the floor, while the tub got filled with warm water. He helped her get in it. As the water washed away her salty tears, so were her dreams of a happy family.

“ We’ll pull through this, I promise. ” – Michael repeated, as he caressed her cheek

TBC

------------------------

A/N: English is my 2nd language, so I apologize for any mistakes I may make. :smiley:

This is great, Caro! It's really sad, though. I'm curious to see what happened to their daughter. :thinking:

Would you mind adding me to the PM list??

~Shammi~

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Okay that was the BEST!!!!!! (y) :P So awesome but horribly sad!!!!!! :(
Please PM me when you update and keep up the FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!! I love it! :D

~Kiki :snorkel:

That was really good!! I can't wait to see what happened. Post more soon. Do you think that I could have a PM when you post another chapter?

I appreciate all the reviews, the mean a lot. And I'll PM everyone who's asked for one. Until I update, see ya! thanks again

i'll probably have more up by tomorrow. i can't really promise anything, because I'm busy with school, but I'll try really hard to have the next chapter done by night. c ya

That is ok!! I will probably not reply as much as soon as I get back to school but that is not for a couple weeks so.....yah. I am sure that everyone else understands too. Sometimes school can be a drag.

Hi! I wanted to thank everyone for the replys. This is the 2nd chapter, and I'm sorry for the delay. I don't have much time these days. Anyway, here it is. Hope u llike it and please review! :cool:

Chapter 2 ~ * Portrait *

The following morning, Sydney refused to get out of bed. She was too weak. And too tired. She hadn’t closed her eyes at all that night. She felt her head was about to explode. She had shared her feelings with Mike early in the morning, and so had he. Sleeping had been hopeless for him too, a fact that she silently appreciated, because knowing he was as worried as she was, knowing that she could have talked to him at any time, made her feel a little bit safe.

Gathering all the strength she had left, she got out of bed. She removed the damp clothes she was wearing – she had cried during those sleepless hours – and put on a pair of comfortable jeans and a tank top. She then went to the kitchen, where she saw Michael staring longingly at a picture of Belle and him. A single tear rolled all the way down to his chin. Sydney’s pain began to grow at this sight. Slowly, she got closer to him, stood behind him for a second or two staring lovingly at him and then gave him a tight hug. He was so worried about their little girl that he hadn’t even noticed Sydney’s presence in the room until her soft arms touched him.

“ You’re up. ” – he said, trying to sound cheerful, but not achieving it

“ I had to. We need to find her. I just don’t even know where to begin. ” – she said, sounding frustrated

“ I think you do know where. ”

She looked down.

“ Syd, I understand you don’t agree with the way they handle problems, but they have the help we need. They have access to codes, locations, satellites, surveillance footage… They even have access to Echelon. ”

“ The CIA. ” – she said, almost in a whisper

“ Right. And we need to tell Jack first. We cannot leave him out of this. ”

“ I agree. But I don’t think I can do it alone. I’ll tell him to come over as soon as possible. ”

“ I’ll help you tell him everything. ”

“ Thanks. ” – she said, taking the phone and leaving the room.

Michael got back to looking at the portrait in his hand, remembering some of the moments he’d spent with his daughter.

* Flashback *

Belle was sleeping in her own room for the first time. Sydney and Michael had said goodnight to her, and about two hours later, she started screaming. He got out of bed and ran to her room really quickly, to find his daughter awake and crying.

“ Sweety, what is the problem? ” – he asked concerned

“ I had a dream where you and mommy left, and when I woke up you were gone and left me here! ” – she explained, crying some more

Michael hugged her tight.

“ We are never leaving you. Just because now you sleep in your own bedroom doesn’t mean we don’t love you anymore. Mommy and I love you more than you can imagine. And we’ll always will. ”

She felt better already. “ Thank you daddy. ” – she said, giving him a little kiss on the cheek. “ I love you too. ”

Sydney watched them from the door and decided to join them. Belle then spent the rest of the night sleeping in between her parents.

--------------------------------

“ Daddy! Daddy! ” – Belle said, running over to him

“ What is it honey? ” – Michael said, picking her up and holding her in his arms

“ Mommy said I was the prettiest girl in the whole world! ”

“ Yes, and mommy is right. You are. ”

“ No! You have to go tell mommy she is the prettiest! ” – she sighed

Michael just laughed, and Sydney did the same.

“ You two are the most beautiful girls in the whole world. ” – he said, putting an arm around Sydney as well

* End of flashback *

Michael sat there, still contemplating his daughter’s picture. She was such a beautiful girl. She had his green eyes, Sydney’s dimples and a smile so sweet it could melt a heart. And she was so smart too. She didn’t seem to be 6 years old.

He heard Sydney approach again and looked up.

“ What did he say? ” – he asked

“ He’s coming over now. ”

Michael looked back down, trying to figure out how they’d begin to explain. He could see Sydney was worried about this too. About 15 minutes later, the door bell rang. Sydney opened the door, Michael standing behind her, both looking disheveled and terrifyingly worried.

“ What’s wrong? ” – Jack immediately said.

TBC

---------------------------------------------------

That’s it for now. Hope you liked it! :D

Yay!! First reviewer!!

That was a wonderful chapter! I loved it very much. It's still sad, though. And I'm still confused. :blink: lol. But, I know you'll explain everything eventually.

Shammi

Back