We Still Have Each Other

Hey guys! I’ve been really busy with school, so sorry it took me this long to update. Hope you like this chapter! :smiley:

Chapter 10 ~ * Déjà vu *

“ You?! What have you done to my daughter?! ” – she yelled

“ I’m here to explain. ” – Irina answered

“ Nothing you say, any reasons you may give, will ever justify whatever it is that you did. ” – said Sydney

“ I wouldn’t be so sure. ”

Sydney gave her mother a questioning look. As much as she hated her mother right now, she needed to hear what had happened to Belle in the past month. She turned around to face her daughter.

“ Belle, honey, why don’t you go say hello to grandpa Jack? He told me he really wanted to see you. ”

“ Grandpa Jack is here?! ” – she asked excited, and practically jumped off of Michael’s arms. She spotted Jack standing by the door, and she ran to him.

“ Hey!!! ” – she said, and gave him a peck on the cheek

“ Hello little one! ” – said Jack. He picked her up and led her and the other agents out of the room.

“ Will you be all right Syd? ” – he asked, fighting every urge to go kill the woman who had caused his family so much pain. But he knew he couldn’t. Sydney and Michael needed to be alone right now.

“ Yes dad. ” – she answered, her eyes never leaving her mother’s.

He closed the door and prayed that nothing went wrong.

“ You should know, Sydney, I never wanted to hurt you or your husband. But you would have never agreed to do this. And it was necessary. ”

“ What did you do?! Why doesn’t she remember anything that’s happened to her?! ” – she asked, still confused.

“ Because her memory has been reset. She won’t remember anything form this month long ‘experience’. ”

I took both Sydney and M<ichael a moment, but it finally dawn on them.

“ No… No, you couldn’t have…. I do not want her in this world! ” – she yelled, in denial

Michael held her, trying to calm her down. His efforts were worthless.

“ I did Sydney. And whether you want to believe it’s for the better or the worse, it’s your problem. One day you’ll understand. ”

“ You used Project Christmas on our daughter?! ” – Sydney asked, tears filling her eyes

“ Yes. ” – Irina answered, so calm it pissed Michael off

“ Look! I’ve forgave you enough as it is, and now this?! You had no right to do this without our authorization! Sydney and I …. We know how to take care of our daughter and what’s best for her. We don’t need you to make decisions for us. ”

“ I understand your reaction Mr. Vaughn. But there’ll be a time, when your daughter has to face the cruelty of this world, when you’ll thank me. This is just for her own safety. For her survival. ”

“ I doubt Belle would like to know she’s a sleeper agent. That she’s been programmed to be a spy. Have you given any thought to how she’s gonna feel? ”

“ She doesn’t need to know if you don’t want to tell her. And I still think this way she’ll be more protected. You may not want to believe this Sydney, but I’m proud of you. You may have hated your life at times, but it is because of your abilities and your job that you’ve come so far. I want to ensure my granddaughter’s future will be a good one. I want her to wind up as independent, intelligent and courageous as you are. ”

“ And unhappy as well? ” – Sydney asked

“ I hardly believe that’s how you feel now. The sadness you’ve felt in the past, I assume, was all brought by Arvin Sloane and the Alliance. And I think I’m correct to believe that it brought some happiness all the same time. ” – she finished, looking at Michael, making her last statement clearer to her. “ Belle won’t work for such an man. She’ll work for her country. ”

“ That’s what dad thought I’d do. ”

“ Don’t make the same mistake as he did then. ”

They all fell silent. The explanation was over. It was time to catch Irina once again and bring her into custody. Butt just as she was gathering her thoughts and processing all the information, Irina jumped out the window. A sense of déjà vu run through her veins, remembering the time she’d jumped off the roof off a building in Mexico City. She gasped, and tried to think of something to do. Michael turned around to pick up the gun he’d left on the floor. But by the time he looked out the window, she was out of sight.

Sydney collapsed on the floor and began to cry.

“ Not this again. ” – she whispered

“ I know sweetie. I know. But the important thing is that Belle is finally with us. Let’s go get her. ” – he said, as he helped her get back on her feet. They walked together, arms around each other, to find Jack. As soon as they opened the door, they found Belle in Jack’s arms. He saw the expression on their faces, and he didn’t need to ask any questions. What had happened was clear to him, and frustration was strewn all over his face.

“ Are you tired baby? ” – Michael asked while he stroked her soft hair

Belle yawned.

“ Yeah daddy. Is it ok if we go home now? ”

“ Sure. ” – he answered and gave her a kiss. He picked her up, and the whole tram was on their way back home.

--------------------------

- CIA plane

Michael lay a sleepy Belle down on one seat and covered her small body with a blanket. He made srre she was comortable and sat next to Sydney.

“ How are you feeling? ” – he asked her

“ Not sure. You? ”

“ I’ obviously upset, but I’m still trying to make up my mind whether this was a good thing for Belle or not. I mean, all she remembers is that this experience was satisfying. And we’ll tell her the truth when she’s old enough to understand…. But I still would have liked to make the decision ourselves, you know what I mean? ”

“ I do. I need more time to think too. ”

They spent the most of the flight silently, except for the many occasions when Sydney would check on Belle, see if she was alright.

TBC

------------------------

Thanks for reading and sorry it took me so long. Please R/R! :smiley:

oh that was great! hehe Irina dé ja vu. I loved that scene! well i suppose it's kinda a good thing for Belle to have that 'experience' eh? *shrugs* who knows. so what's happening next??
--Mandy :angelic:

That was a great part, although I'm not sure I aprove what Irina did to Belle, but I guess that as grandmother she knew best. After all it doesn't mean she has to become a spy, it means that if something happens she'll be prepared, she won't be a victime.
Again, great part and please post more soon.

Great chap!! (y)
I agree with Kaiserin. I'm not sure I approve of what Irina did either. :thinking:
It should have been Sydney and Vaughn's decision.
Thanx for the PM!! :D Can't wait for more!!! :woot:
🦋 Colly E.

First of all, great chapter!! I wonder what will happen to Belle in the end...only time can tell...

And also thanks for the pm, and I can't wait till the next chapter!!

WOW, sorry about it being a while for the review, but this is really good. I can't wait for more. Please post more soon. It's great.

Love ya,

Lauren :angelic:

Hi!! sorry it took me so long to update, but i've been busy and the site was down for a couple of days too as u know. so here it is! Enjoy! :cool:

Chapter 11 ~ * Processing *

- Syd and Mike’s house -

Sydney and Michael sat down on the couch, and she grabbed a pen and sheet of paper. Before starting to write Sydney closed her eyes for a second.

“ Should we do this? ” – she asked Michael..

“ It’s better for Belle, so yeah. ”

She sighed. “ Alright then. I hope she understans why we’ll give her this when she’s older. ”

“ She’ll be old enough to understand we’re only trying to protect her. ”

----------------------------------------

- 12 years later -

“ Hey honey! ” – said a grinning Sydney

“ Sweetie! ” – said an equally happy Michael

“ Dad! Mom! ” – greeted Belle

They all hugged for several seconds.

“ We are so proud of you! ” – Syd exclaimed

“ Awww thanks! ”

“ I love you so much. ” – added Mike, pulling her daughter for another hug

All three of them got teary-eyed.

“ Hey! Come on! Today is my graduation day! We should be happy, not crying! ” – Belle said after breaking the hug

They all giggled.

“ So, have you and your friends decided when it is that you’re going out to celebrate? ”

“ Um, yeah, later tonight. Why? ” – Belle asked intrigued

“ We need to give you something. ”

Sydney unfolded a letter she was keeping in her purse and handed it to Belle, who opened it carefully and started reading.

Dear Belle,

We can imagine how you’ll feel when you reads this. And that’s because I - mom - went through what you’ve gone through years ago. We’re sorry we didn’t tell you sooner, but some things need to come out in time. Something horrible happened to you at the age of 6, something you do not remember. No matter how hard you try, you won’t.

Your grandpa Jack works for the CIA, just like we do. And, a long time ago, he developed a project to train children to become American spies once they grow old enough. Its name was ‘Project Christmas’. He used this project on me, when I was only 6 years old, and then my memory was reset so that I didn’t remember anything about the experience. When I found out about this, over 20 years later, I thought I could never forgive him. But with time, I understood that he had done it to protect me form the insanities of this world, the danger, the harm. The only reason I’m telling you this is because we have more in common that you think.

When you were born, Michael and I were worried about your safety. And all the questions that had once ran through my dad’s head were now crossing ours. We decided it’d be better if we just did our best raising and educating you to be an independent, strong and smart woman. What happened later, we didn’t plan.

When you were 6 years old, you were kidnapped. You had been sleeping soundly in your bedroom, but we didn’t get to you fast enough to save you. We blamed ourselves for it all the time you were missing, which was a whole month.

We never really gave up, but by the time 4 weeks had passed, and all we had were dead ends, we were starting to lose hope. Until one day, I got a call phone, from your grandmother Irina, telling us you were being held at an abandoned building in Texas. When we got there, you were just sitting on a chair, drawing with some crayons, like nothing had happened. At all. We were so scared, thinking that something terrible had happened to you. But you were fine.

Irina was there, she’d taken you to develop ‘ Project Christmas ’ on you. She hadn’t discussed this with us because she thought we’d never agree to it. And she was right. We didn’t feel like we, your parents, should make such decisions over your life. But then she just made them for us! She argued it was to ensure your safety and future, and that we could choose to tell you the truth or not.

After a lot of thinking, Mike and I decided it’d be best if you took some time to think about your future yourself. We will give you advice and help you by telling you all you want or need to know about being a spy. But the decision is completely up to you.

We’ve now come to terms with the whole thing, and we hope you do too. Our relationship with Irina, however, has never been the same. This wasn’t the only time she hurt us or our family. She did many things you will probably find out about eventually. But even if we tried, we could never forgive her. That’s why, ever since then, I – Sydney - hardly refer to her as ‘mom’.

Love,

Mom and dad

Belle’s eyes filled with water when she finished reading. She looked up at her parents, trying to even imagine what they’d had gone through, and pulled them in for a hug.

“ Are… are you ok? ” – asked Michael

“ I – I think so… ” – she answered. “ But, what does this mean? Am I…. A spy? ”

Both her parents giggled at her question.

“ No. It means that you are qualified enough to be a spy and that, if you want to, you can come work at the CIA with us. ” – Sydney answered. They’d told her about their ‘real’ jobs when she’d gotten too suspicious as to where they were going every time they disappeared for days at a time.

“ Oh…. ”

“ You know what sweetie? You don’t have to decide this right now. Take all the time you want. We’ll talk it over when we’re at home. ” – said Michael

“ You sure you’re ok? ” – Syd added

“ Well, you definitely caught me a little off guard here, and I’ll need some time to process all this information….. But yeah, I’m ok. Are you alright? I mean…. It seems it was kind of a rough for time for you too… ”

“ No need to worry about us. We’re perfect as long as you’re fine. ” – he said, looking at Sydney for confirmation, who nodded.

“ I love you so much ” – Belle said

“ We do too, honey. ”

An with that, they walked towards their car and drove home. They’d talk the matter over later on.

TBC

------------

Thanks for taking the time to read! Remember I love comments! ;)

Back