Weather, and Its Affects

Nnem

Cadet
Weather is something we all like. Its for a better looking game, and helps the player get more into the game.

Maybe we can take it a step further.

Having weather actually affect gameplay. I will admit I haven't thought this all the way through...but for example; Its rainy and foggy. You are a rogue, so maybe there should be a bonus for the sneaking you might be doing.

Maybe you are in an area, where a blizzard is not uncommon. This area could become much more difficult, say if, you miss more ( snow bloing into your eyes can make it harder).

Things like that, seems like they can really add to the gameplay. Its just another something to bring the player even further into the game.

What does everyone else think?

I like it.

If you were a wizard casting fireball in a blizzard or a rainstorm, the damage would be substantially less.

If you were a rogue sneaking about in the fog, you would be more stealthy, in the rain, you would be quieter.

If you were a Ranger shooting your bow in a sandstorm, your accuracy would go down quite a bit.

Just a few examples, but that would be awesome.

Yeah... If it was really dry out, maybe you could light a bridge on fire. On the other hand, if it was rainy, you'd have a hell of a time even trying...

yeah that idea is off the chain but it would be even better like your up north and in the winter it snows and in the summer its grassy. instead of it being snow on the ground 24/7

Xblood said:
yeah that idea is off the chain but it would be even better like your up north and in the winter it snows and in the summer its grassy. instead of it being snow on the ground 24/7
i think that's pretty hard to code. they'll have to change the textures every new season.

I'd have to agree with Rubowsky. If it would delay HJ any longer, I wouldn't be for it, but possibly in a new expansion. Maybe if they just had 5 weather effects, rain, snow, wind, heat, and ..... (couldn't think of a 5th). that would randomly appear in certain locations, and have those weather effects slightly improve, or degrade your skills/abilities.

In DR room descriptions change from day and night. And I know I saw a video of some game where they showed snow come and go with the seasons.

S.

I think I know HJ's excuse as to why the weather wouldn't affect the PCs like that.
"They're heroes! Heroism doesn't stop for snow!"
I'm usually all for realism, but I'm starting to have my doubts about the combat system as it stands.

Also if you go through the lore that is available out there. You will find that more then likely we'll have not much changing of weather since the sundering kinda knocked that all outta wack. I really hope it will be implemented though it adds more strategy and dynamics to the game which im all for.

But ya frostys right if it would delay it put it up in an expansion im already losing my mind not being able to play the damn game lol

Im all for weather effects in-game and especially for the weather effects affecting attacks and/or actions in the game. Simply put, adds more realism and immersiveness to the game. Yes, I love the word immersive, it's the key factor for me when I decide if a game truly is fun for me.

Rubowsky said:
i think that's pretty hard to code. they'll have to change the textures every new season.

Go check out Saga of Ryzom then.

Full seasons, complete with snowy season etc. Was a case of logging out and when you logged back in, the trees had turned orange etc. Then a couple of weeks later (in real time, can't remember the exact length) you'd log in and the snow had come.

It sounds kind of artificial like that, but it is totally awesome. You can dig for certain things during different seasons from memory, to a smaller degree, so you'd be waiting for the snow to pass to try find a certain shell etc.

Am running off memory here as it's been months since I played... perhaps I should go have another look hehe.

But yeah, if you want to experience dynamic weather and ecology (the animals hunt each other as well as you! :D) go check out Saga of Ryzom to see how it can most beautifully be done.

That game is 5stars+A1 for amazing world environment and detail.

If Simu could capture even part of that 'feel' into HJ, I'd be in heaven :D

Arremus if I may ask, how did the resources go in Saga of Ryzom? Did it take a lot of resources to say, have it snow. Were the graphics pretty? Was it immersive at all?

Give us some more information!

frostydf2 said:
Arremus if I may ask, how did the resources go in Saga of Ryzom? Did it take a lot of resources to say, have it snow. Were the graphics pretty? Was it immersive at all?

Give us some more information!
By resources you mean what? As in "Did it take a lot of CPU power when it snowed?"

Well, either way, the environment to look at and to interact within in SoR is probably the best I've ever experienced in an MMO. It doesn't really demand a massively high end system to run it at max settings, and when you do have it on max settings.. holy damn it's beautiful.

It's the only game I can remember being in a hunting party where we all stopped and watched the sunset due it looking so sexy.

It's immersive yes. Very much so. To the point where one time I was taking screenshots, so my character was sitting still for several minutes. In that time, a couple of the little creatures.. erm.. can't remember their names, like little mammal things, well two of them came over and were sniffing me. I stayed still, and a couple more came, until there were like 8 of them wandering about, sniffing away, one sitting next to me.
One then came over and pee'd on my foot. I then stood up and they all scattered.
It's that sort of immersion that is so unique to SoR.

I'm trying to remember why I stopped playing to be honest. Wonderful community, very hard game to explore etc so always something to do.
There's not much at all in the way of quests etc (well back when I played, 6+ months ago) but to be honest, I don't think it really needed them.

You prospect for shells and cloth etc and all armour and weapons are player made, well the majority.

There is a hell of a lot going to SoR, especially with The Ring thing coming (or is?) out.

Isn't really a game to compete with Hero's Journey I don't think, two different gaming experiences. Worth maybe going and checking out the website if you're looking for something to play anyways.

So yeah, about that weather... :D

Trying not to go so off-topic, but I agree with what people have said before. That if Simutronics somehow, someway made weather effects that actually effected the gameplay as well, they would have a very immersive world. I've stated that before, but there shouldn't be any problem with stating it again.

Arremus, I tried playing Saga of Ryzom when it first came out, and couldn't stand it. I didn't understand it I guess. You made your own skills I think? Not sure, but couldn't quite get the hang out of it, or be immersed. I did like the idea about having a few hero's going up against hundreds of mobs.

It is keeping it on topic in way, as we're discussing having weather effecting gameplay. And to further any discussion I think one needs to look at examples. And thus describing weather and seasons in SoR gives perspective on what one can experience in MMOs; what is possible.

Wasn't it originally stated that there isn't a day/night cycle in HJ by one of the Devs? Or was that weather, as in if it's snowy in a region, it's always snowy there?

To me, having weather fully affect the way you operate rolls with having dynamic changing weather. If the weather and season didn't change, if you had wizards getting -5 ice penetration in snow/blizzards, well then wizards will just never go into snowy areas.
Thus you'd get "Looking for more for the Plains of Snow quests. No Wizards needed", and Wizards would effectively never get to do that whole quest series.
Likewise, if Wizards were to get +5 fire penetration in the Plains of Snow, well then you'd possibly see dozens of flame-wyr-spec'ed Wizards farming all the mobs in that zone because of the fast easy kills.

Same with an Archer's arrows not flying straight in a windy region. If the weather and environment never changes, the Archer won't get invited there, and will probably personally not even want to go. Thus they miss out on content.
And if there was a Wyr that "gives arrows sure-flight, no matter the wind conditions", well that could open up all sorts of farming problems, and totally through the economy out of wack.

Hell, or maybe it won't. But I can just see static weather vs class abilities being a major drawback.

So for me, if there were to be any major affects applied to classes due to weather and environment situations, then the weather and environment need to be dynamic and changing.

Arremus said:
Wasn't it originally stated that there isn't a day/night cycle in HJ by one of the Devs? Or was that weather, as in if it's snowy in a region, it's always snowy there?

Yes it was stated in one of the MMORPG articles that there won't be weather changes or time changes and that the this is do to the world be shattered from the sundering.

Now if this is still true is anyones guess. You know how everything changes as ya go along.

Its always nice to see how weather changes in games. I don't think it should actually affect the players/quests but alittle extra eye candy is always nice.

Back