Weekend Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naeya

Cadet
Headed out of town for the weekend. Y'all behave now, ya hear?

*points to the left where it indeed indicates she's from Texas*

Zuul will have your head for that one Nav.

Sumer, Land of Gozer!
Gozer the Traveler!
Gozer the Destructor!
Gozer the Gozarian!

Wait for a sign from Gozer the Traveller; he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveller came as a large and moving Torb.
Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants,
they chose a new form for him -- that of a Giant Sloar!
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you!

Sumer, Land of Gozer!
Gozer the Traveler!
Gozer the Destructor!
Gozer the Gozarian!

Wait for a sign from Gozer the Traveller; he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveller came as a large and moving Torb.
Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants,
they chose a new form for him -- that of a Giant Sloar!
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you!

/PRINT!!!

OH mAN. It's may favorite part/scene in the whole movie. I never knew what the lines were though.

/bow
/bow

I gotta memorize that LMAO!!!

"Y'all" is... disgusting. People type as they speak, but there are those who speak as fools. As I've told my brother; If one cannot speak correctly, they shouldn't speak at all.

Forgive me, but I am intolerant of others' flaws. Heh, especially when it comes to "Country" things.

(Edit: Sorry, that was more harsh than I meant it to be. I meant only that it was a pet peeve of mine, though I don't necessarily dislike someone just because they say it.)

If one cannot speak correctly, they shouldn't speak at all.

I'd be rather interested in hearing what the "correct" manner of speaking is. English has evolved quite alot over the years and it was cobbled together from a set of earlier languages which were based on even earlier ones and so on. Is someone who says "chaps" any more or less proper than one who says "folks" or "peeps" or "people?" What about using the word aluminium instead of aluminum?

English comes in many accents, varieties, and twists ranging from classic British, to Southern American, to Deep Southern, North-eastern, Liverpool, Irish, Scottish, "generic" American, and many times many varieties in between.

If everyone should speak correctly or not at all, then all of the conflicting opinions will negate everyone's speaking privleges.

I'd be rather interested in hearing what the "correct" manner of speaking is. English has evolved quite alot over the years and it was cobbled together from a set of earlier languages which were based on even earlier ones and so on. Is someone who says "chaps" any more or less proper than one who says "folks" or "peeps" or "people?" What about using the word aluminium instead of aluminum?

English comes in many accents, varieties, and twists ranging from classic British, to Southern American, to Deep Southern, North-eastern, Liverpool, Irish, Scottish, "generic" American, and many times many varieties in between.

If everyone should speak correctly or not at all, then all of the conflicting opinions will negate everyone's speaking privleges.

I don't mind if someone has an actual accent, and, in fact, I occasionally prefer them, but "Southern" and "Southwestern" accents just seem more like speech impediments to me. What I meant by "I occasionally prefer them", is that people who learn English as a second language, if they're particularly bright, just seem to try harder to get it right. That's just my opinion, though, and the observation might be complete BS.

First off, Texas is NOT the Southwest. It's in the center of the country. What people call the South, is the South East, and what people call the South West is just the South. That's a major pet peeve of mine, so I just had to say it again.

Anyway, what I meant by "correctly" more had to do with actual words and grammar than with pronunciation. For instance, the phrase "ain't no" annoys me to no end, as does the substitution of the word "doesn't" with the word "don't". "Y'all", though is just an annoyance, partly because of the extent to which my opinions differ from those of the largest groups of people who say it, and partly because it just sounds stupid. It's like the "word" "Chill-lax". I can't hear it without feeling like someone just spit at me. I don't know why, I just feel that way.

Don't get me wrong, I do find the Southern accents to be quite annoying, but it's more an "Ok, now convince me you're not retarded."-type of thing than a "Go die!"-type of thing. I know that some people find that offensive, but quite frankly, I don't mind. When all of the people representing your group act like they dropped out of Elementary School, you're just going to have to learn to deal with people thinking like that. It's kind of like saying you grew up in China Town, and you still live there, when you're speaking with someone over the internet: They'll probably assume you're Chinese. Well, not quite to that extent, but it's a similar principal...

Anyway, do you see what I'm trying to say?

On a side note: I can't listen to Country Music for more than a couple minutes. It stresses me out to no end, I feel like my guts are twisting in knots, and my back tightens up so much that it's physically painful. It's like... You know how sometimes you'll obsess over something? Like, you have to do something, or it'll just eat at you and make you miserable until you do it? It's like that, only the thing I have to do is not listen to it. Yeah... Well, kind of, anyway.

For me there's nuttin' wrong with geographically inspired dialects. Syntax, phonology, grammer, vocabulary differ all over the place.

For me there's nuttin' wrong with geographically inspired dialects. Syntax, phonology, grammer, vocabulary differ all over the place.

Hehe. That just sounds goofy to me. Like, "Ah, you come from a mountainous region? Yeah, the way you said 'Hello' really gave it away." :P

There's a difference between an accent and laziness. A person can have an accent while saying every word correctly.

Like me. If I start getting tired or strained, my accent begins to come through (oh, I've tried so hard to train it out!). My a's begin to bet strained, sticking out in the word more and g's become silent. It doesn't mean I say words that don't exist (although I might). It's just the pronunciation that is changing.

Hmm... Interesting conversation. I never thought I would be attacked or found offensive because of a perceived "flaw" in my person. At least by something as minuscule as saying "ya'll."

It's just a pet peeve of mine too. I tend to become incensed with someone for acting extremely obtuse and close-minded.

But that must be because I dropped out of Elementary school. /snort

Or that I'm lazy. /shrug

Bleh, not worth getting angry about.

I will remember to speak more succinctly and correctly from now on, for the benefit of Mr. Kuzzle.

*recites*

"The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back