Weekend Box Office

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>HERO TAKES GOLD. ANACONDAS, SUSPECT ZERO DISAPPOINT. EXORCIST, AVP FALL HARD.</span>

The weekend box office as reported by boxofficemojo.com...

To much suprise, the Jet-Li surreal action flick "Hero" stole the top of the box office with an estimated $17.8 million. "Hero" has already impacted much of the world, grossing now a hefty $122.2 million worldwide.

In second was a disappointing start for badly-reviewed thriller "Anacodas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid." Grossing only a mere $13.2 million in its opening weekend, don't look for the big snake to make any further of an impact on American theaters.

Also surprising was the gross of buddy comedy "Without a Paddle" falling only 35.7% in its second weekend to $8.7 million. "Paddle" has taken in a total of $27.9 million thus far, already more than $8 million more than its production budget.

"The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" was close behind with an $8.1 million weekend. The early teen directed comedy starring veteran actress Julie Andrews has made over $75 million in its 3 weekend run, much higher than early predictions. In comparison, the first installment had grossed $70 million dollars at the same time, poising "PD2" to take in a higher total gross amount.

Rounding out the top 5 was last weekend's #1 movie, "Exorcist: the Beginning." Falling an estimated 62.7%, the thriller sequel grossed $6.7 million. A total gross for "Exorcist" comes to a tad over $30 million, far from its production budget of $80 million. Don't look for "Exorcist" to reach its budget.

In other opening movie news was a very disappointing beginning for mystery movie "Suspect Zero," opening at the bottom of Top 10 with $3.4 million. Most critics have slashed the movie, only praising Kingsley for his chilling portrayl as serial killer Benjamin O'Ryan.

To absolutely no surprise, the waste-of-time movie of the summer "Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2" did not make the Top 10 cut, taking in a wimpy $3.3 million. The sequel to semi-successful "Baby Geniuses," which made $36 million worldwide, will not make an impact next weekend either. Look for it to fall over 60%, as I haven't found a single critic who has praised this movie.

The Top 10 Movies:

1. Hero - $17.8 million
2. Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid - $13.2 million
3. Without a Paddle $8.7 million
4. The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement - $8.1 million
5. Exorcist: The Beginning - $6.7 million
6. Collateral - $6.3 million
7. Open Water - $5 million
8. Alien v. Predator - $4.8
9. The Bourne Supremacy - $4.6 million
10. Suspect Zero - $3.4 million

Hmm...interesting. I wish Suspect Zero had done better at the box office (I'm a huge Carrie-Anne Moss fan). But then again, there weren't many trailers to see before the movie was released. I want to see it though.

AgentDesertRose said:
Hmm...interesting. I wish Suspect Zero had done better at the box office (I'm a huge Carrie-Anne Moss fan). But then again, there weren't many trailers to see before the movie was released. I want to see it though.
[post="980999"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
There probably weren't many trailers because it has a very low advertising budget; most of the money was used to actually make the film.

Moss wasn't in very many popular movies, though. Do you like her from 'The Matrix' or something else?

I really want to see Hero. It has good ratings, and it has everything I like in a movie. Hopefully I'll get to see it before school starts. This time of year is the worst to release a movie. Everyone is busy shopping and preparing for school.

Back