Weird Music You Listen To

I'm up late listening to my own eclectic taste of odd music, so this thread just sorta came to me.

What really unusual music do you folks like? Stuff that's weird. Stuff that's really obscure, maybe. What're some of your guiltiest pleasures? The songs that technically fall into a genre you hate, but you can't help but love.

My tastes are unusual, even for being such an oddball as I am. I prefer instrumental music generally, but I too have my quirky likes and dislikes, so here's an unordered list, just pulled from the top of my head.

• Dubstep - So these's this show on BBC Radio, used to be called The Breezeblock, transformed into BBC Radio 1 Experimental. Lots of crazy electronic music, lots of different sounds, and this crazy stuff they call dubstep. I've given up on putting electric music in genres these days, because they all overlap, but whatever the heck I'm listening to, I happen to love it for some reason.
  • The Clientele - More music from Britain, these chaps have been described as the aural equivalent of coming down off acid in a cardboard box in a backalley in Bristol. I wouldn't know, but I do know I love their aetherial, 1960's inspired dream music. Very surreal, often thought provoking, nostolgic in a somewhat longing, and quite moving, way.
  • The Boards of Canada - A duo that are actually from Scotland, their style is a unique blend of sounds, inspired by the tone, texture, warmth, and surreal quality of 1970's television audio. Weird, but excellent stuff. Lots of purposefully hidden number ciphers, vocoding, reverse sound clips, and other things to feed your inner paranoia.
  • Nerdcore Hip-Hop - Rap made awesome for the internet age. If you take pride in your geekiness, look up artists like MC Frontalot, MC Chris, and Optimus Rhyme for a start. Great stuff, so long as you are nerdy enough to understand the humor and references.
  • MONO - I know very little about this group, in fact, I've only heard one single song of theirs, but I do know that they are Japanese, incredibly loud in concert, and very, very talented. The one song I have reminds me of the soundtrack for some incredible cinematic scene, with a slow, dark, constantly building and evolving ascent. It takes three and a half minutes for the main theme to be introduced, but you honestly are so wrapped up in it that you don't notice. It keeps building, gaining terrifying ferocity and strength, dies down, rebuilds, and leaves one haunted and desperate for more.
  • Overclocked Remixes - Not your standard "remixers", these guys are a top notch musical team of dozens of "musical rearrangement" collaborators, all dedicated to one goal: celebrating video game music, while simultaneously proving that it is just as viable a musical form as any other. They have thousands of songs inspired by hundreds of different game soundtracks, and their standards are very high, so they're all incredibly good.
And of course, my guiltiest of pleasure of all...
  • Old School Rap/Hip Hop - Everything from Soul By The Pound, to Gorillas In The Mist, to Express Yourself. Yes, I know, but certain songs appeal to me in odd ways.

Right then! Your turn folks!

*grins*

~Dune Walker~

Leah Andreone, Vitamin C, David Bowie..

I'm a big "Hair Bands of the 80s" fan. I've also been known to buy CDs just because the groups makes me laugh (Friggin' A). They Might Be Giants falls into a list of all time favorites.

I suppose my listening preferences aren't all that strange. A little bubbly pop here, then some rock there.. rewind back to the 80s and then settle down into some game/anime music or classical tunes.. Oh, and sprinkle it with some country much to the annoyance of many around me. "Here's your one chance, Fancy, don't let me down!"

Far far far too much asian music. It seems like a good 80% of the music I listen to comes from Japan, Korea, China or Malaysia.

I also have a soft spot for 90s country. Yes yes, deal with it. It's what I grew up listening to.

*ahem*

"Lord forgive me for what I do, but if you want out
Well its up to you
Now dont let me down, Your mamas gonna help you uptown."

Remember, there's no need be abashed about your silly musical tastes! We all have 'em.

*chuckles*

This thread is specifically about sharing silly musical tastes amongst us silly people. Who knows? We might each find some new music to add to our libraries, which is really the ultimate goal. Find something you might not have listened to otherwise, and maybe walk away with a new favorite.

~Dune~

Addendum: Pinn, those videos are delightfully eighties. Just... yeah... wow... I love it.

From my 'HH My Space' page:

Favorite Artist:
Depeche Mode

Other artists:
Armin van Buuren, DJ Tiesto, DJ Irish, Paul Van Dyke, Paul Oakenfold, Erasure, New Order, Moby, Orbital, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Ice Cube, Ween, Primus, Metallica, Prince, Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Pixies, Led Zepplin, Ibrahim Ferrer, Buena Vista Social Club, Erasure, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Gipsy Kings, Louis Prima, Mel Tourme, Miles Davis, Book of Love, Nat King Cole, Jeremy Camp, Sting, Jane's Addiction, Alice in Chains, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, Richard Cheese, Bob Marley, Oingo Boingo, The Orb, 808 State, Clan of Xymox, The Cure, Morrissey, Natalie Merchant...

Favorite style:
Techno. I listen to DI.FM - addictive electronic music Trance channel all day long while working.

I listen to a lot of indie music... bands that most people haven't even heard of.

Examplés:
Starflyer 59, Hammock, Midlake, Explosions in the Sky, Mezzanine Owls, Early Day Miners, Tacks the Boy Disaster, Monster Movie, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Ester Drang

But then I also listen to some more well known bands like The Cure, Radiohead, and Beck. I just recently bought Beck's latest, actually... the homemade music videos included definitely count as weird.

Mezzanine Owls just sounds cool. It seems like it'd be some sort of steampunk styled triphop or electronica kinda group name.

I'm probably dead wrong though, no?

~Dune~

Vitamin String Quartet. Some of the best string music ever! And they cover Breaking Benjamin, The Offspring, Audioslave, and FINGER ELEVEN!! W00t!

speaking of finger eleven, i liked that paralyzed song but the music video was terrible..definitely not what I expected to see.
Also, I first thought the song was done by three days grace the first time i heard it.

Back