Welcome to the Madhouse

Okay. This post starts up about three months after the last one.

"Sit down!" Irina said. The man sat. She could see the fear in his eyes. She breathed it in, then exhaled.

"Who...who are you?" the man stammered. Sweat was beginning to bead on his forehead. He's afraid, she thought. Good. He should be.

"Adam Colder?" She raised the barrel of the gun from his chest to his forehead.

"Yes," he said. "Why...why are you here?"

"You've worked on Project Christmas, haven't you?" The man stayed silent. Big mistake. Irina pulled the barrel to the side, then whacked it into the man's temple. "Tell me! Have you worked on Project Christmas?" Blood trickled down Colder's cheek. He winced at the sound of her voice, but still did not speak. "You're silence is not brave, Colder. Do not be mistaken." Irina cocked the gun and fired. The bullet hit the man straight between the eyes and he slumped over in the chair. Irina put the gun back in her purse and walked out of the room.

Back at home Irina collapsed on the couch in the living room. She couldn't believe she had done it. It was all part of the job, but it was still hard to believe. She had purposely ended a man's life. She shuddered at the thought, the fear in the man's eyes. He had feared her. And he had had right to. She was an assassin. She dried her eyes and went into the kitchen. Dinner. She had to think about dinner. Jack would be home soon. She had to be calm, be composed. She had to be in control.

Irina woke up in the middle of the night in a dead sweat. She had seen it again. The fear in his eyes. But they weren't his eyes. They were Jack's. Irina closed her eyes then opened them again. She looked over at the sleeping form next to her. Jack was sleeping soundly. Good. He's still alive. She breathed out and went back to sleep.

The next morning Irina spent the morning leaning over the toilet. It's just nerves, she thought. It's only been one day. I'll get over it. Finally, she stood up, a little lightheaded. It was Tuesday so she didn't have class. She walked into the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee. Sitting at the table she let the hot brown liquid flow through her veins. She had just reached a state of composure when the phone rang. She startled. In her mind the phone sounded like a gun shot. She grabbed the phone from the counter. "Hello?" she said.

"Laura. It's Emily." Not now, Irina thought. I can't be Laura now. I need to be Irina. But she changed personas, closed her pain and anger off.

"Hi, Emily. How are the wedding plans going?" Over the months Irina, no, Laura, had become close friends with Emily. They met for coffee once a week, and Arvin and Emily often came over to the house for dinner, or Irina and Jack went to their house.

"Good, Laura. They're going well. I...I just had a favor to ask you."

"Of course. Anything."

"Well, I was wondering...would you be my maid of honor?" Irina blinked. Emily's maid of honor? They were close friends, but not the close. But, if Emily asked.

"Umm...sure, Emily. I would love to."

"Oh, thank you Laura. I wanted to ask earlier, but I never managed to. We'll have to set up times for the fittings and to make arrangements. I'll call you later."

"Great," Irina said and hung up the phone. What was wrong with her? She was thrilled that Emily had asked her, but she had barely said anything. She couldn't let Colder's murder get to her. It was her duty. Her country had asked her to kill him. He was a threat to Russian society. He didn't deserve to live. It was her choice. She had chosen to join the KGB. But, no. They had recruited her. They had made the choice for her. Suddenly, the nausea came back. Irina bolted towards the bathroom.

The next morning Irina woke up nauseous. She ran to the bathroom wondering what was wrong. She hadn't even thought about the murder the day before. She thought she was fine. She was supposed to be fine. She was going to be fine.

After work, Irina went home and into Jack's study. She opened the drawer and took out the file on Project Christmas. Jack must have added to the file the night before because there was a new sheet on the top.

Murder of Project Christmas Team Member.

Irina swore in Russian under her breath. She thought it would have taken them longer to find Colder. She scanned over the page. Adam Colder. Found murdered in home. Fatal gunshot to head. Wound on temple. KGB-style hit. Irina was nervous, but she knew there was no way to trace the murder back to her. She had been careful. She hadn't touched anything in the room, she had worn gloves. They couldn't trace it back to her, could they? Irina took a deep breath. No. They couldn't trace it back to her. They didn't know she existed. They only knew of Laura Ivanov Bristow. Laura Bristow was not an agent of the KGB. She was a professor of literature. She had a clean track record. As far as the CIA was concerned, Irina Derevko did not exist.

Irina read and reread that paper, searching for anything that could be classified as evidence. Suddenly the clock in the living room struck five o'clock. Irina quickly closed the file and slid it into the drawer. She walked out of the study and shut the door, entering the kitchen just as Jack walked in through the kitchen door. "Hi, darling," Irina said, putting her arms around Jack and kissing him. His body was stiff, and he didn't kiss her back. She pulled away and looked back at him. "Jack? What's wrong?" She knew what his answer would be and didn't really want to hear it, but she knew she had to be the helpful wife. "Jack?" she prodded when he didn't answer.

"I...I'm sorry, Laura...I...I don't want to talk about it," he said.

Irina looked up at him. "Jack. I'm your wife. We're married. We're supposed to share everything with each other. If something's bothering you, I need to know what it is. I just want to help." She paused before pushing further. "Jack, what is it?"

Jack sighed. "Laura. There's something I need to tell you, but you can't tell anyone this. Promise?"

Oh, God, Irina thought. He's going to break his cover with me. She smiled. "Of course, Jack. You can tell me anything."

"All right." He took a deep breath. "Laura, I don't work for the State Department."

Irina tried to look confused. "You don't? But, you...you said you did."

Jack nodded. "I'm sorry, darling, but I had to tell you that. I...I work for the CIA."

Irina looked at him. "What!? You work for the CIA? How could you not tell me that?!?" She thought for a moment. "Wait. Then, those business trips you took...those were missions?"

Jack nodded. "Yes."

Irina widened her eyes. "Jack! How could you not have told me that? You could have died! And I would never have known!" Irina tried hard to play the furious, betrayed wife, but it was hard. How could she get so angry with Jack when she was the one with all the secrets?

"I'm sorry, Laura. I know I can't change it, but I'm sorry."

Irina nodded. "All right. But, Jack, what's wrong?"

Jack took another deep breath. "There's a project I'm working on. It's very controversial, but necessary. There was a team of us working on it. One of my friends, Adam Colder. He was on the team. Then, yesterday he didn't show up for work. When he didn't answer the phone they sent a team to check on him. When they arrived at his home, he was dead. Someone murdered him, Laura."

Irina gasped. "What? Why?" she stammered.

Jack grimaced. "They...they think it was because of the Project -- Project Christmas. The agency thinks that it was the KGB. It wouldn't be the first time they've eliminated one of our agents."

"Oh, God, Jack. I'm so sorry. I...I didn't know." She put her hand on Jack's shoulder as he bent his head down.

"It's not your fault, Laura. You couldn't have done anything." That's what you think, Jack. I could have done everything. It is my fault.

I think Irina should be a good loving mother who doesn't want to leave Sydney in the end!!!

Um, BTW, Irina would have to be Emily's matron of honor because Irina's married. ^_^

Great chapters though! Thanks for the PMs!

That was GREAT! I agree about Irina, I think she should be loving and not want to leave Jack and Syd. ;)
Oh, when Jack told Irina that he worked for the CIA I really wanted her to tell him about the KGB so that she could stay, but I know that can't happen :(
Well, anyway Great update!

Irina waited in the examination room for the doctor to return with her test results. The nausea had continues, and when she had finally told Jack, he told her to go to the doctor. Irina wasn't too worried about the doctor, thought. She was meeting Kozlov after the appointment, and she had to tell him that Jack had blown his cover. She was wondering what steps the KGB would want to take. Then, the door opened, and the doctor returned.

"So, Doctor," Irina said. "Am I all right?"

The doctor smiles. "You are more than all right." The man smiled, and Irina thought that she had never seen a doctor look so happy. "Mrs. Bristow, I have some very good news for you." When did doctors ever have good news? But Irina didn't have a chance to say anything because the doctor continued. "You're pregnant, Mrs. Bristow. Congratulations!"

Irina could have been knocked over with the slightest tap on her shoulder. "A...are you sure?" she stammered.

"Yes, Mrs. Bristow. I am sure. Your baby is about two weeks old right now. We've run the initial tests, so until next time, remember--no alcohol, and try to limit your caffeine. What you eat your baby does too. We'll see you next month," the doctor said, handing Irina a large packet of brochures, then pointed her towards the door. Irina walked shakily. Pregnant? That wasn't supposed to happen!

Still dazed, Irina walked to her car and sat behind the wheel. She was pregnant. That wasn't what the KGB wanted to happen. She was supposed to be a wife, not a mother. What would Kozlov say?

She drove to the tavern and walked in. She had a few minutes. She ordered coffee, then reconsidered and made it decaf. Might as well do it right. She drank the coffee, but found that the decaf had none of the stimulating effects of regular coffee. She sat in a small table in the corner. When Kozlov entered the restaurant, he sat down across from her. She smiled at him, and Kozlov took out a small bug killer. "Just in case," he said.

Irina nodded. "I've got lots to tell you. First of all, Jack broke his cover with me. Told me he was CIA. He even told me about Colder's death. The CIA thinks it was the KGB, but they have no way of knowing it was me."

Kozlov nodded. "I'll see what the director wants to do. Having Jack reveal the true nature of his job can only be seen as benefitial. You've gained his trust. What else?"

Irina took a deep breath. How could she tell him? There was no way that he wouldn't be furious. "I...I just came from the doctor. It turns out that...I'm pregnant." She hesitated, then looked up at Kozlov. His eyes were wide.

"Pregnant?" Kozlov hissed. "You're pregnant. Irina, that was not part of your mission."

"I know. I don't know how it happened, but it did happen."

"Fine. I'll see what they want you to do. Take this," Kozlov handed her a keychain shaped like a fish. "There's a small light in the eye. When we need to meet, the light will blink in Morse code and give you instructions. Just be careful Jack doesn't see it blink."

Irina nodded. "We'll meet again soon. I'll contact you through the keychain. There's a button on the back. The message will repeat until you push that button." Kozlov stood and left the restaurant. Irina finished her coffee, then left the restaurant. She attached her keys to the keychain, then drove home thinking about how she would break the news to Jack. He wanted a child. He would be thrilled. But what about her? She didn't know if she wanted a baby. She wasn't ready. They'd only been married for six months. It wasn't time for a baby. On the way home Irina stopped at a bookstore. She looked up books on childbirth and bought three.

Back at the house she poured over the books. A baby. She was going to have a baby.

EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! YAY! *chants* BABY SYDNEY! BABY SYDNEY! BABY SYDNEY! BABY SYDNEY!! EEE!! LMAO you can tell I've been waiting for this to happen! ;) :woot: :jump:

To answer your earlier question I think Irina should be a great, loving mother who has a VERY hard time leaving Sydney in the end.

Great chapter ! Great story !

Sydney comes along. At last...

To answer your earlier question I think Irina should be a great, loving mother who has a VERY hard time leaving Sydney in the end
I think the same thing.

yay that's great, a cute little sydney.
and thanks for the pm.i have the sudden urge to jump in my pool, so i'm gonna go swimming now, don't even know why i just mentioned that.great story though.

this is really random, but when i was reading over what i had written, i was struck by the fact that kozlov's name sounds so much like coleslaw. has anyone else noticed that? i just found it really weird.

When Jack got back to the house, Irina kissed him and poured him a glass of wine. “Now what is the special occasion, darling?”

Irina smiled. “We’re going to have a baby, Jack! I’m pregnant!” She smiled at him and could see the disbelief in his face.

“A baby?” he whispered. “Really?” He hugged Irina. “Oh, Laura, that makes everything better.” He let go of her. “Oh, God. We’re going to have a baby!” He beamed, and Irina was happy just to see him smile.

Later that night Irina brought up the subject of Colder’s murder. They were sitting at dinner when she casually said, “Did they find out who killed your friend yet?”

Jack looked up at her, as if he was trying to figure out how she knew about Colder. Then he remembered telling her. “No. They haven’t figured it out yet. Probably just a KGB agent.” Irina thought to herself, I wonder what he would do if he knew that I was that KGB agent. Would he believe it? Could he believe it? He looked at her with such devotion that Irina just wanted to disappear. She didn’t know what to say to him, how to reassure him over the death of his friend.

“I…I’m so sorry Jack.”

“Don’t be daft, Laura. This isn’t your fault. You shouldn’t think about it.” Irina nodded. “I’m just glad we’re having a baby,” Jack said. “You’ll make a fantastic mother, darling.” Irina smiled. He was so sweet. He changed the subject, and Irina was glad. She didn’t want to talk about Colder anymore. “So, sweetheart, are going to keep working while you’re pregnant?”

Irina thought for a moment. “Probably for the first few months, but I don’t think I want to work after the baby’s born.” Jack nodded.

“I think that’s good,” he said. Irina smiled.

Two months later Irina was given orders again. Another Project Christmas problem. Frank Lampert. This time was harder because Irina had met Lampert before. He and his wife had come to the house for dinner right after Jack and Irina had gotten married. Irina had never met Colder before. He had just been an anonymous CIA agent, an enemy of her country. Irina knew Lampert. He would know her when she showed up. He would be leaving behind a wife and two children, but Irina had orders.

Irina watched Lampert’s home for a week waiting to make the hit. She saw the pattern the family established. Every day Lampert’s wife took the kids to the park. They got home just before Lampert. All the KGB needed was a way to delay the wife and kids so Lampert would get home first. The hit would only take Irina about ten minutes to get in and out. When Irina told Kozlov about this, he told her that a team would delay the wife and kids in the park. She would have a short amount of time with Lampert.

Irina tried to prepare herself emotionally for the task at hand. She moved from Laura to Irina. No longer a wife, a friend. She was now an anonymous spy. She compartmentalized her emotions, blocking off everything she had established with Jack. She parked her car outside of the apartment, waiting for the Lampert’s wife to leave with the children. She started to get nervous when they were ten minutes late. Finally, the door to the building opened and a stroller came out, pushed by an attractive brunette window. Bingo! When they were out of sight, Irina slid out of the car. She pulled her hat low over her eyes, and pulled gloves onto her hands. She checked to make sure the loaded gun was in her handbag then approached Lampert’s building.

She picked the lock to his apartment, closing the door slowly behind her. She had about an hour before Lampert or his wife got home. It was enough time to find any documents that Lampert might have hidden at his home. She searched his office, finally finding a file labeled “Project Christmas.” She didn’t even bother opening it, just slipped the entire stack into her purse. Kozlov would appreciate those. She ransacked the desk looking for any other helpful pieces of information. Lampert had files on a few outdated missions as well, so Irina took those for good measure. She knew the CIA already suspected the KGB of trying to find out about Project Christmas. No need to give them more reason to believe that.

Irina was waiting in the entryway when Lampert entered the apartment. “Shut the door quietly,” she whispered, her gun raised in front of him. Lampert closed the door, then attempted a roundhouse kick to disarm Irina. “It’s not that easy, buddy,” she said, firing. Miss. She wasn’t supposed to miss. Colder hadn’t fought back, why was Lampert?

“Why are you doing this?” Lampert asked, out of breath. Irina didn’t answer. She fired again, the bullet hitting Lampert in the chest. He fell to the ground, clutching his wound. Irina finished him off with a single bullet between the eyes, the only shot she was supposed to fire. She put the gun back into her purse and exited the apartment. As she got back into her car, she saw his wife walking back to the apartment with the children. Irina drove away, trying not to think about Lampert’s widow.

wauw that's even sadder, poor kids.good update but i have to go to bed now i'll read more in the morning(that is if it's updated)thanks for the pm

Irina arrived home shortly before Jack. She was puttering in the kitchen, making a meatloaf, when he walked in. She turned around from chopping carrots to greet him. “How’s my baby?” he asked.

Irina smiled at their new tradition. “The little one’s fine,” she said, patting her stomach. Two and a half months. Kozlov was starting to come around to the fact that Irina was going to have the baby. The other day he had even said that maybe it would be a good thing. She would bring Jack closer to her. But, Irina was not in the mood to think about the baby. Thinking about her baby just made her think about Lampert’s children. So, instead, she went back to chopping carrots.

“What’re we having for dinner?” Jack asked.

“Meatloaf,” Irina said, “with carrots and potatoes. A true American classic.”

Jack laughed. “You are too cute, darling.”

Then, the phone rang. Jack smiled at Irina then answered it. Irina listened carefully to his end of the conversation. “Hello? Yes. This is Jack Bristow. What? Lampert? They got another one? Dammit! Yes. 7:00. Okay.” Jack hung up the phone looking about five years older.

“What is it, sweetie?” Irina asked, turning from the stove to face Jack.

“You remember Frank Lampert, don’t you?” Irina nodded. “Well, they got him too.”

“Frank?!” Irina feigned surprise. “Oh, his poor wife. And those two kids.” Irina let a dramatic tear roll down her cheek. Jack reached up and swept it away with his thumb.

“I know, sweetie. It’s too bad, but it is a risk of the job.”

Irina sighed. “It shouldn’t be. Jack, what if something happens to you?”

Jack shook his head. “Nothing will happen, Laura. I’m not going to let anything happen, especially not before I get to see that baby.” Irina could tell that Jack didn’t want to keep talking about Lampert.

“Dinner’s ready,” Irina said, setting dishes on the table. Jack took off his suit jacket and loosened his tie. He cut two slices of meatloaf.

“Smells delicious.”

Back