Welcome to the Madhouse

Four months later, Irina was dressed in maternity clothes, and Jack had taken towards addressing her stomach as “Baby.” She had finished teaching her last class and was now devoting her days to getting the nursery ready for her child. One and half months left. Irina spent most of her day in the nursery now. She had designed it hoping for a girl, though she knew she would love a boy or a girl. The walls were light yellow with green teddy bears painting below the ceiling. The white crib had yellow sheets, and was already covered with stuffed animals. The university had thrown her a baby shower on her last day, so the closet was filling up with uni-sex colored outfits.

Irina often found herself talking to the baby and was always filled with an extreme joy when the baby kicked inside her stomach. She sat in the wooden rocking chair, looking around the room. “How’s my baby?” she asked, looking down at her stomach. She was shocked to feel a quick, sharp kick. It was like the baby could understand her.

Two weeks before her due date, Irina felt enormous. It had been more than a month since she could see her feet, but since then, she could barely walk. She was lying in bed when she suddenly felt a contraction. She looked over at the clock. 6:45 AM. She sat up and swung her legs over the edge and pushed herself off the edge. She shuffled into the bathroom, where Jack was in the shower. Five minutes later Irina felt another contraction. “Jack…Jack…” she mumbled.

“What is it Laura?” Jack asked as he got out of the shower.

“I…I think I’m having contractions,” she said, clutching her stomach.

Jack looked at her. “Really? It…it’s time?” He hugged her, but Irina protested.

“Watch the stomach, Jack.”

Irina held her in her arms. My beautiful baby girl. She was so tiny, but Irina could hardly believe how gorgeous she was. “Hi, sweetie. I’m your mother, darling.” Jack stood next to Irina.

“Oh, Laura. She’s perfect. I can’t believe how perfect she is.”

Irina felt the tears running down her cheeks. “She is. Just perfect.” Those had better be my hormones, she thought, but she couldn’t get over her daughter’s beauty. She was two weeks early, but she was immensely perfect. She rocked the baby. “Oh, precious. I love you already.” And she did. They had already picked out a name for her—Sydney Anne. Irina couldn’t believe the love she already felt for this little angel. Such a gorgeous little being, and she was part of her. They were linked together, permanently. And, at the moment, this baby was the only person in her life that didn’t care whether she was Laura or Irina.

Irina was snapped out of her thoughts when Jack patted her shoulder. “You ready to take her home, Laura?”

Irina looked up. “You think she’s ready for it? She seems so peaceful.”

Jack looked at her. “She’ll get used to it, Laura, and she’ll love it there.” Irina smiled. He always knew what to say.

Back at home Irina sat in the nursery, watching Sydney sleep. Slumber, my darling, thy mother is near, Guarding thy dreams from all terror and fear, Sunlight has pass'd and the twilight has gone, Slumber, my darling, the night's coming on. Rocking back and forth, Irina felt her heart stretch to encompass everything she was feeling. The music box on the dresser was playing a Russian melody. It had been a gift from Jack. Irina listened to the melody, remembering her own childhood. She wanted something else for her daughter, a different life. Sydney was going to get to live her life the way she wanted to. Irina wasn’t going to let her daughter be a pawn in some international game.

Irina had always heard how tiring having a child was, but, for some reason, Irina did not feel the fatigue. She was ready for Sydney’s cry in the middle of the night. Some nights Irina would fall asleep in the nursery, sitting in the rocking chair, just listening to Sydney’s breathing. Jack didn’t act the same way though. Irina knew that Jack loved Sydney, but he wasn’t as willing to get up in the middle of night, and a week later he told Irina he was going on a mission.

“What?” Irina hissed. She noticed that Jack chose to tell her when she was holding a sleeping Sydney in her arms. “You have a daughter, Jack. You can’t go off miles around the earth and risk your neck! What if something happened to you?” Irina caught herself before she started yelling. She thought Jack was going to love their baby. She thought she was going to be the one who had trouble loving Sydney, but she was wrong.

“Laura, I have to go. The agency won’t let me stay out of the field. I have to go, Laura.”

Irina walked away, put Sydney in her crib then returned to the living room where Jack was pacing. “How can you leave her, Jack? How can you not love her?”

“I do love her, sweetie. It’s just hard. I don’t know what to do with her. She’s so small, so innocent. I love her, it’s just going to take some time.”

“She’s going to grow up, Jack. She won’t be this age forever.”

“Laura, calm down. She’s a week old, and I do love her. It’s just a big change.”

“Fine, Jack. I’m sorry. It’s just, I love her so much, and I just feel like you don’t like her. I’m sorry, sweetie. You go on your mission. Just be careful.”

“I always am, darling. And I do love her. More than anything in the world.”

Irina smiled. “More than me?”

“Of course not, Laura. You are no longer in this world.”

Irina was amazed by how much she loved him at that moment.

NOTE: The lyrics in this update are from "Slumber My Darling" by Alison Krauss and Yo-Yo Ma. It's a REALLY pretty song. It's actually from the show. They play it during the scene where Sydney's sitting next to Vaughn's sickbed. I thought it would fit here.

Oh yeah, I remember that song. This story is so cute ^_^ (well, baby Sydney anyway). Irina does have a touch of cold blood to her. But if your life depended on it, wouldn't you be able to kill someone and lie about it?

Thanks for the fifteen or so PMs you sent me while I was away. :D

A baby changes everything. Irina had heard that before, but now she knew it. When she held Sydney in her arms, she felt she had done the right thing. If she had not joined the KGB, she would never had had this perfect baby girl. She would never have been able to give her daughter everything she wanted to Sydney.

Sydney was barely a month old when Irina’s keychain began flashing. Irina grabbed a pad and a pencil, scribbling the Morse code. “Tomorrow morning. Hotel Ambrose. Room 926.” How was Irina supposed to get there? She had a baby now. She decided to think about it later and pushed the small metal button on the back. The keychain stopped blinking its pattern, and Irina went back to Sydney.

The next morning, Irina dropped Sydney off with a babysitter. “I’m so sorry about the short notice. I won’t be out long,” she said. She kissed Sydney good-bye then got back into the car. She drove to the hotel, taking the slow-paced elevator up to the ninth floor. She knocked on the door which was promptly opened by Kozlov. Irina walked into the room while Kozlov closed and locked the door.

“We have another target for you, Agent Derevko,” Kozlov said, taking a seat at the desk in the room. He handed her a thick file. “This one is going to be harder. Vincent Denver. He’s a higher official, and the CIA’s starting to get nervous. Agents are being more cautious, paying more attention. The CIA’s on a mole-hunt. They think someone inside is leaking information, which is true.” Irina opened the file. Several pictures were included of a gray-haired man with green eyes. “Denver shouldn’t be too bad, though. He lives alone, has a very strict schedule. Because he lives alone, he often brings his work home. You should be able to find some information there.”

“Did we get anything off the information from Lampert?”

Kozlov nodded. “Actually we did. The CIA’s trying to find a test subject. It seems they’ve decided the Project is safe to test on children. Sloane wants to find someone fast, but many of the other officials believe they need to perfect Project Christmas first.”

“How much work do they need to get the technique down? Isn’t it just asking questions at this point?”

“They want to get the next stage finished. They want to be able to program children, to make sure that the children they find for the Project will become spies. There are intricate training procedures that they want to go through. Puzzles, mind games. All sorts of things that will trigger responses.”

Irina thought for a moment. “It doesn’t seem like it would work. I can see how the questions would work, to find out whether children have potential, but programming a person? It doesn’t seem possible.”

“It doesn’t, but people are programmed a lot in the intelligence business. The KGB has several assassins who were programmed to kill and cover their tracks. Many intelligence agencies have programs in place. This Project Christmas would take it to the next level. Now, for Denver. The date’s set for a month from now. Start modified surveillance in a few days. Once again the hit will be inside Denver’s home. We don’t know whether the CIA is monitoring homes, but they might be. You’ll have to be careful. Take the baby with you. People aren’t suspecting of a woman with a baby.”

Irina nodded. She wasn’t sure how she felt using her daughter to keep herself safe, but she had to do it. She had orders.

Jeez, she doesn't even think twice about bringing her daughter to asassinate someone, she's really loyal to the KGB! (But thats good because that would probably the way it would be in the show!) Good Update! ^_^

Hi! I just found this chapter. It was great. Wow! Irina's going to bring poor baby Sydney to an assasination? Poor Syd... :(

Man, it's been a really long time since I've updated this. Sorry, guys. I got a little preoccupied with school. (I'd forgotten just how much I hated putting that effort in.) But, I'm trying to get back in the swing of things, so hopefully this update won't be a one-time thing.
So, I was watching my Season One DVD the other day, and I realized that it was Khasinau that recruited Irina to the KGB and that Caulder (Igor-dude) was her handler. Plus, they gave some of the real dates and stuff, but I also realized that it would be way too much work to go back and change all of that because I would have to completely rewrite the story. Sorry, but I just don't have don't have time for that right now. Maybe I'll get around to it...someday. But, for now, just use your imaginations!
And here we go.....

Sydney sat in her car-seat in the back of Irina’s car. Irina had just driven by Denver’s home on the way to the grocery store. It was part of the modified surveillance program that the KGB had created. Although they had a team monitoring the apartment, Kozlov had also instructed Irina to check in from time to time, just so she could get used to Denver’s schedule.

“Hey, sweetie,” she said, looking at Sydney in the rearview mirror. Sydney gurgled, and Irina laughed. “You’re getting so big, aren’t you?” Pulling into the grocery store, Irina scooped Sydney up and walked into the store. She’d noticed that people paid a lot more attention to her now that had a baby. Everyone wanted to talk to Sydney, to make faces at her. Irina smiled, but got frustrated. She was a spy. People weren’t supposed to come up and talk to her. She was supposed to be just another face in the crowd.

While Sydney was down for her nap, Irina went into Jack’s office. She opened his drawer and looked in the Project Christmas file. At the top of the newest page, she found the word “Programming” written at the top of the page. They’re not even trying to disguise the fact that they’re programming children? And the CIA thinks the KGB is cruel! she thought. She read the page.

The CIA has established routines that will establish children as the future for intelligence agencies. Through puzzles and training, children will be programmed with the necessary implements to choose a career in espionage.

As Irina shut the door to Jack's study, the phone rang. She took a deep breath then walked through the doorway and picked up the phone. "Bristow residence," she said. Her heartbeat had already slowed. She had gotten used to the adrenaline rush that hit her whenever she was interrupted.

"Darling," came Jack's steel voice from the other end. Irina had noticed that it only softened when he was around Sydney, although Jack was not one to partake in baby-talk. "I was just sitting at my desk thinking about you." Irina smiled. If only she could love him the way that he loved her.

"I was thinking about you too, sweetie," Irina lied. The only thing she had been thinking about was gathering information on Project Christmas. She wrapped the telephone cord around her index finger, waiting for Jack to continue the conversation.

"And I was wondering, how would you like to have dinner tonight? Just the two of us?" That wasn't what Irina had been expecting.

"Bb...but," Irina started to stammered. "Darling, I would love to have dinner, but Sydney's only a month old. It's not like she can stay home on her own."

She heard Jack's familiar laugh from the other end of the line. "Well, of course not, Laura. That would be absurd." Irina wondered to herself where he was going to this.

"Then what do you suggest we do, darling?"

"Well, as it happens, one of the other agents has a teenage daughter who's looking to make a little pocket money on the side. She can be there at six thirty." Irina leaned back onto the edge of the counter. Leave Sydney alone? Then she realized she would be taking her daughter to an assassination. What could a babysitter do that would be worse?

"Six thirty?" Irina said, still thinking. "All right. Let's try it."

"Fantastic," Jack said. "I'll be home by six. I love you, darling."

"I love you too, Jack." Irina hung up the phone and let out a sigh. She started to let her thoughts wander, but was interrupted by the sharp, cutting sound of Sydney's cry. It took her a moment to leave the kitchen. She had to re-enter her "Laura" persona, to rush off to her daughter's crib.

Yay! (Jumps up and down, then runs around the room) You started again! Amazing! Now, Am I allowed to bother you to update your other story too? :D

Back