What About Me?

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

Title: What About Me?
Genre: s/v AU
Summary: Sydney and Michael have been best friends ever since college. Now, at thirty-two, Sydney is contimplating the path her life has taken: one purely devoted to her career, not to a family.

only 12 chapters guys - short but fun :smiley:

Chapter 1
Sydney Bristow quickened her walking pace as she glanced at her watch and groaned in disgust. The clicking of her heels against the cement sidewalk along the New York City streets was almost audible through the hustle and bustle of afternoon traffic as she pounded her feet along the ground, trying to walk as quickly as possible. She only had two more minutes to walk three blocks or she’d be late. She hated being late. Of course, this lateness wasn’t her fault. On her way out, she had received a phone call that her secretary told her was ‘urgent’. As it turned out, urgent was only Eric Weiss wondering if she’d be home for dinner, asking if he should order two pizzas instead of just one. She had yelled at him, which wasted another minute, before hanging up and running off to the elevator. She loved him, but sometimes she wanted to choke him.

Eric was Sydney’s roommate. The two of them lived with a third roommate, Michael Vaughn, in an expansive studio apartment, fifty floors above the busy streets below. Though it would seem awkward for three single people, one woman and two men, to be sharing an enclosed space, it wasn’t for them. They were all highly career driven people... well, Michael and Sydney were. Eric simply existed. Amazingly enough, none of them had ever been romantically involved with another one of them, they were simply best friends. Though there were some awkward moments, like the few times Sydney had caught Eric and his date on their couch in a significant state of undress or the time Michael had walked in the bathroom in search of a misplaced item while Sydney and her boyfriend at the time were sharing a shower, for the most part things worked for them.

By the time her watch painfully showed 3:01 pm, Sydney was running as fast as her heels would take her and skidding into the lobby of her building of destination. She raced to the elevator and tapped her foot impatiently as it crawled up fifteen stories before stopping with a ding. She raced out and down the hall, arriving at the meeting a painful five minutes late, apologizing profusely for her tardiness.

“It’s quite alright Sydney,” her boss, Mr. Sloane, told her. “Please continue with your presentation.” Sydney sighed with relief and began to pull her visual aids from the briefcase she had been lugging over her shoulder.

In her almost ten years with the Sloane Advertising Firm, Sydney had climbed her way quickly up the ladder. She lived a no-frills, all business lifestyle and because of the fact that she was willing to work late hours into the evening, she was promoted quickly within the organization. Though her job gave her a salary near six figures, because of New York City’s high expense lifestyle it was difficult for her to obtain an apartment to her liking. That’s where Michael and Eric came in.

Michael and Eric had already been sharing an apartment, or rather Eric had already been mooching off of Michael’s generosity. Sydney approached Michael with the idea of pooling their rent money and looking for a place big enough for the three of them. Michael loved the idea and was able to find a rent controlled apartment with more than enough room. They actually paid less rent each month, than before.

The three of them had met in college during their sophomore year. Sydney had just transferred into the school, was lonely and going to a party. She ran into Eric and Michael there, the three of them had too many drinks and ended up passed out in a dorm room together. Thus began their unusual friendship. To Sydney, the thought of dating Eric was preposterous and the thought of dating Michael was just... well, it wasn’t in her mind. She didn’t find him unattractive, quite the opposite in fact, it was just that they were stuck within the ‘friends’ barrier and it worked for them since neither of them were overly eager to jump into the ‘friends with benefits’ category, despite Eric’s encouraging.

They had been living together for almost four years and so far, things were perfect with the slight exception of the fact that they were all nearing their mid-thirties and not even close to getting married. But none of them seemed to mind. Michael and Sydney were too focused on their careers in advertising and Eric was too focused on his career as a bachelor.

“Excellent work Sydney,” Mr. Sloane told her at the conclusion of her presentation. “I’m sure the people at Sony will love that new campaign.”

“Thank you, sir,” Sydney smiled as she sat down in her seat, grinning at all her co-workers, who were less than amused by her.

“Well, in conclusion to our meeting today I’d like to take this opportunity to announce our new Vice President of Regional Marketing,” Sloane began. Sydney’s heart did a flip flop in her chest. She had been working to achieve that position ever since she knew it was available, but she thought the verdict wouldn’t come until the following week. She sat up straight in her seat and tried to keep a calm exterior while her heart thumped rapidly inside her chest.

“This person is an excellent asset to this company and I know that she will do a superb job as Vice President so... congratulations Sydney,” Mr. Sloane smiled down at her. A round of subtle applause went through the room as Sydney stood and shook her boss’s hand, reveling in her triumph.

Grinning, she went back to her office to pack up her things to move to her bigger office. She packed most of her things in one box and had her secretary carry her office plant and a picture of herself and her family that wouldn’t fit in the box.

“I hope this office is to your liking, Sydney,” Mr. Sloane smiled when Sydney walked into her corner, window filled office.

“It’s perfect, thank you very much,” Sydney smiled as she put her box down on the desk and shook his hand once more.

“Congratulations again,” Mr. Sloane said before leaving. Sydney sighed and walked over to the window, peering down at the busy streets below. Perfect, right? It was what she wanted, right? Then why didn’t it feel as good as she thought it would.

Woah, am I first?

Well. I will write a proper review in a bit, I just have to go to school. But I love the concept of this fic; it doesn't matter if it's short! :D

Thanks for posting it!

~Anja

Its always the case... you get what you worked so hard for and it never feels as good as you expect!!

I like the sound of this! And i am loving Bachelor Weiss!

Please PM me when you update!!

Looks great ;) I'd love to get a pm

Can't wait for more ;)

Thanks for the pm (even though I kind of beat it :whistle: )

Sab

:love: :angel2:

Lol. Syd....hahah. Poor Syd. Vaughn is definetly the right choice....not the career! Anyway..I'm going to love this story, I can already tell..thanks for the PM!

“I hope this office is to your liking, Sydney,” Mr. Sloane smiled when Sydney walked into her corner, window filled office.

“It’s perfect, thank you very much,” Sydney smiled as she put her box down on the desk and shook his hand once more.

“Congratulations again,” Mr. Sloane said before leaving. Sydney sighed and walked over to the window, peering down at the busy streets below. Perfect, right? It was what she wanted, right? Then why didn’t it feel as good as she thought it would.
Because life shouldn't be focused only on career!! Great start. Please add me to your PM list for this story.

Back