Music What Are You Listening To?

What kind of music do you usually listen to? If you don't mind me asking?
It's easier to say what I don't listen to. :D That list would be contemporary rap/hip-hop, contemporary R&B, and bluegrass. Just about everything else is fair game, from Anne Murray to ZZ Top.

I grew up in the 70's listening to stuff from about the late 50's onward. Every type of act, from Fats Domino to Simon & Garfunkel to the 'California-sound' singers & groups like The Eagles to Pink Floyd, was listened to for hours on vinyl by the glow of a lava lamp. I was born & raised outside of Philly so the 'Philly Sound' movement is dear to me with acts like The O'Jays, Hall & Oates, and The Stylistics. My prefered listening period likely peaks around the early-90's but still listen to modern acts that catch my attention like Adele and certain tracks, like Stay from Rihanna, where I may not be a fan of everything the artist does but there are some songs that I really dig.

It's easier to say what I don't listen to. :D That list would be contemporary rap/hip-hop, contemporary R&B, and bluegrass. Just about everything else is fair game, from Anne Murray to ZZ Top.

I grew up in the 70's listening to stuff from about the late 50's onward. Every type of act, from Fats Domino to Simon & Garfunkel to the 'California-sound' singers & groups like The Eagles to Pink Floyd, was listened to for hours on vinyl by the glow of a lava lamp. I was born & raised outside of Philly so the 'Philly Sound' movement is dear to me with acts like The O'Jays, Hall & Oates, and The Stylistics. My prefered listening period likely peaks around the early-90's but still listen to modern acts that catch my attention like Adele and certain tracks, like Stay from Rihanna, where I may not be a fan of everything the artist does but there are some songs that I really dig.
Most excellent music stylings you have there. Quite diverse. I love the Philly sound too and Hall & Oates is one of my favorites.

Most excellent music stylings you have there. Quite diverse. I love the Philly sound too and Hall & Oates is one of my favorites.
I was lucky that my wife also listens to a bit of everything. When we got married I think I spent weeks organizing our merged vinyl & CD collection and then transferring it digital.

If you're a Hall & Oates fan, have you checked out web series Live From Daryl's House? It is also being broadcast on TV in a few areas. Live From Daryl's House: This Month's Episode There have been some really great jam sessions on there.

Oh, and thanks to the Sleepy Hollow premiere (http://awalkerbit.me/threads/sleepy-hollow.874/) I've now got this running through my head...

I was lucky that my wife also listens to a bit of everything. When we got married I think I spent weeks organizing our merged vinyl & CD collection and then transferring it digital.

If you're a Hall & Oates fan, have you checked out web series Live From Daryl's House? It is also being broadcast on TV in a few areas. Live From Daryl's House: This Month's Episode There have been some really great jam sessions on there.

Oh, and thanks to the Sleepy Hollow premiere (http://awalkerbit.me/threads/sleepy-hollow.874/) I've now got this running through my head...

You are lucky that your wife likes and listens to bit a of everything, most people are usually locked into one style or genre of music. Oh I love Live From Daryl's house and I totally agree about the great jam sessions and collaborations with some very different artists like CeeLo Green. I have Fuse and watch the show there. Thank you for info just in case I have a problem or miss it in Fuse. That song always reminds of Fallen with Denzel Washington. That's one of the movies I have heard that one played.

Coming into the office this morning I heard a track that I wasn't familiar with. Turns out it was "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus. Surprisingly, I didn't hate it but at the time it kept reminding me of another song and it was driving me nuts till I could figure out what it was. In particular when she sings "I came in like a wrecking ball" made me think of a song from the '70s.

Well, after a little bit of poking around I realized it was "Suicide" by Suzi Quatro that I was thinking of. Quatro is one of the original 'bad girls' of rock and, in my opinion, somebody not credited enough for helping pave the way for women in rock as the lead singer & bass player.

The songs really aren't close to each, neither in lyrics nor tone, but I still find it amazing sometimes how just a small bit of music, in this case just that "I came in like a wrecking ball" snippet, leads to a flashback of memories of a totally different song from a different era.

Enough of my rambling ;), here are the videos for both songs.

Coming into the office this morning I heard a track that I wasn't familiar with. Turns out it was "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus. Surprisingly, I didn't hate it but at the time it kept reminding me of another song and it was driving me nuts till I could figure out what it was. In particular when she sings "I came in like a wrecking ball" made me think of a song from the '70s.

Well, after a little bit of poking around I realized it was "Suicide" by Suzi Quatro that I was thinking of. Quatro is one of the original 'bad girls' of rock and, in my opinion, somebody not credited enough for helping pave the way for women in rock as the lead singer & bass player.

The songs really aren't close to each, neither in lyrics nor tone, but I still find it amazing sometimes how just a small bit of music, in this case just that "I came in like a wrecking ball" snippet, leads to a flashback of memories of a totally different song from a different era.

Enough of my rambling ;), here are the videos for both songs.

Interesting take on both artists and interesting too. Suzi Quatro I have heard a couple of her songs, quite good actually. Miley Cyrus, her song Wrecking Ball is decent and good as well as Can't Stop for a party anthem but the girl is seriously getting on my nerves with her "movement" just too much. I understand her wanting to break from the Disney girl thing but all this stuff with tongue and twerking, nudity. I don't get. Let her new disc stand on its own with out this barrage she is doing.

Back