What are you playing now?

I am not sure when I replied last but I am still actively playing Gemstone IV. I was in Warhammer for a while and almost checked out LotRO but I just know I can't get what I get in those games that I am getting in a MUD. Plus I have a bunch of friend's in game.

If I still played EQ2, I'd look you up... that's the server my char's are on.

Well if ya end up coming back anytime look me up. I'll prob end up staying with it for awhile now enjoying all the raid content and the new expansion has added all that much more content to do.

I am happy to finally be off the WoW addiction... Whenever I get an itch for it, I remember how much the easiness of it and the community that creates gets on my nerves. Seriously! What kind of company actually conforms to the jokes people make about it further!? People said it was easy, so it went easier! Grr..*grumble mumble*

Sorry for the long absence, folks. Pinny got a boyfriend and has been spending lotsa time with him and console games. Otherwise, on her own, she is playing some NWN2. Fear my golden-haired tiefling wizard of dooooom!

I am happy to finally be off the WoW addiction... Whenever I get an itch for it, I remember how much the easiness of it and the community that creates gets on my nerves. Seriously! What kind of company actually conforms to the jokes people make about it further!? People said it was easy, so it went easier! Grr..*grumble mumble*

I've made a point to not play any game during every waking moment. I did at one point, and got burned out real quick... and not just from WoW, from any game... I still look at my computer and want to spit at it now and then. Then again, I'm a manager in the IT industry, so I stare at computers for anywhere from 7-12 hours a day :-\

I still play WoW though, and I do enjoy the jokes and references they put into it. A mad scientist, Abercrombie and his patchwork creation, Stitch. Smith & Weston (iirc), and sooo very many others. Personally I hate the graphics with a wild enmity that words cannot describe. I don't know why, well, yes I do, but that's another rant for another day. However, the inside jokes and modern day references and puns make the game fun, and help to remind me not to take the game seriously... "it's just a game".

WoW makes being on a RP server hard, as hardcore RP'ers always seem to try to keep things according to time period, yet, that's nearly impossible with WoW. With Achievements named "To all the squirrels I've loved before" (and some of the newer ones)... you can't RP long without smirking at something that went totally awry and out of context thoughts flood through.

IMHO, if a game upsets you... you need a break and to stop taking it seriously. My BF in my opinion is too serious. Stats, spec's, numbers, gadgets, tweaks and conformity ... it's tweaks my mind and makes me hate playing games where if you want to play a class, play using this specific spec that everyone else has. And that is one of the reasons I hope HJ comes out some day.

Me twitching and crying:

twitchcry.gif

</soapbox>

Back to WoW and Runes of Magic for me.

Sorry for the long absence, folks. Pinny got a boyfriend and has been spending lotsa time with him and console games. Otherwise, on her own, she is playing some NWN2. Fear my golden-haired tiefling wizard of dooooom!

I play WoW for the RP. I'm discovering the RP community is still alive. Yeah, there are some limitations but some of the stories and writing is great. RP keeps me interested in MMOs.

Heh, I actually like it because it is casual friendly. And what is challenge really in a MMO? It's time. There's absolutely nothing hard about any MMO other than the time commitment. I say bravo to Blizzard for letting WoW be playable to someone who doesn't play it like a part/full-time job.

I still have NWN2 on my computer. How's the new expansion (is it out?)? If Bioware ever made NWN a persistent online world, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Anyone try one of those player controlled persistent worlds?

My annoyance with WoW's world isn't with the jokes, but the lack of any sort of challenge. It's not with the leveling system even, actually, but the taking away of interesting things like a hunter needing to know what sort of wolf has this and this ability so he can learn to give his own wolf it, or a thief needing to keep their eyes on their items and learn how to mix their own potions to later use them against their enemies. The time thing is a bit much, making the creatures easier to kill is too..but they didn't get me as much as the simplification of the classes did. Classes, I might add, that were already easy enough.

Casual friendly and easy are two totally different things. What I love is the challenge of you and a few of your friends (opr just you) taking down something that takes a game plan and almost intuitive team work! There's excitement in that! Once a game loses the ability to have this available for people through the essential "nerfing of the world", then the fun is gone for someone like me... I'm not an achiever, but I am a gamer of many different systems and sorts. I suppose I want to feel the same sort of pleasure I get in my other games, and rp too.

On time being the challenge...please, no. Never make that the challenge of a game! Even in an mmo, this is a travesty! At that point, the game really is JUST a grind! Make the challenge be in the fight, not the wait!

I haven't played either expansion, still in the original compaign and play off and on. I hear that MAsk of the Betrayer was awesome, but the newest one isn't as good although it has some nice things for the player created worlds. I have not gotten into one of those worlds yet, but maybe someday.

Casual friendly and easy are two totally different things. What I love is the challenge of you and a few of your friends (opr just you) taking down something that takes a game plan and almost intuitive team work!

Is there a MMO that does this? I have yet to see one. I'm not criticizing you but I just don't see challenge anywhere and maybe I'm missing something. Challenge in a MMO is basically time to me.

For instance, players will generally say that raids are the most challenging thing you can find in a MMO. But lets break it down. The challenge is figuring out the pattern of the bosses and executing. I suppose that takes effort but really, if you have lots of time and an adequate amount of players around you, eventually you'll figure it out. Then that raid effectively becomes "farm" status. But again, all this boils down to is how much time you have to play. If you have lots, then it's just a matter of time.

I just don't think there is challenge because every quest and every mob is static in video games. They do the same thing every time. Once you figure it out, then it's over. On the opposite side of the spectrum is, if the devs design a mob that requires intense and precise execution then it just becomes frustrating. Some of the old 80s RPGs and other computer games of that era were like that. They were utterly unforgiving and players had a very hard time finishing them because you had to know the exact, precise way of killing a mob.

Lately, I am finding I am more impressed with the creativity of the designers. The mob don't have to be incredibly tough but if the fight adds other components like, flying dragon mounts, siege weapons, harnessing something that weakens the mob...etc, makes it more interesting than the usual tank and spank. It doesn't have to be difficult but making the fight slightly different makes it a good diversion from the usual questing found in all MMOs.

Maybe someday designers will figure out a way to make the same mobs fight with variety. That would be fun and challenging.

The simplest way I can describe the most recent NWN2 expansion is "a single player MMO".

I found the original NWN and NWN2 to be like that. The quests and fighting are essentially the same. Are you referring to crafting and such?

And I still am wondering. Anyone have any experience with NWN2 persistent worlds? Are they any good?

I found the original NWN and NWN2 to be like that. The quests and fighting are essentially the same. Are you referring to crafting and such?

And I still am wondering. Anyone have any experience with NWN2 persistent worlds? Are they any good?

NWN2 and it's first expansion have interesting storylines.

I was playing a PW called Tales of Moonsea for a while, I liked it. The guys who made nwn PW City of Arabel made ToM. Only thing I missed was the rping community in ToM because it wasnt stable yet with its player base.