What Are You Reading Right Now?

Saturday evening I finished ”City of Ruins,” the second Diving Universe book, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. It was good! Boss and her team are on a planet looking for stealth tech when a ship arrives in an underground base. From the distant past.

There are two parallel storylines. What’s more, one is in first-person while the other is in third-person. It was so eager for the storylines to converge. I plan to keep up with this series. It’s been really good SF so far.

Saturday evening I finished ”City of Ruins,” the second Diving Universe book, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. It was good! Boss and her team are on a planet looking for stealth tech when a ship arrives in an underground base. From the distant past.

There are two parallel storylines. What’s more, one is in first-person while the other is in third-person. It was so eager for the storylines to converge. I plan to keep up with this series. It’s been really good SF so far.
Now that's intriguing.

The Tommyknockers - Stephen King, typical King stuff, home town tales in a sci-fi setting, what's not to like .... well okay the mini series that made from the book but that's another thread.

Yesterday I finished The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune. It’s this month’s Sword & Laser pick. It’s about a bureaucrat who takes an inspection trip to an island orphanage for magical children. I found it utterly charming and lovely to read. The stakes are low, yet it carried me along. It’s also a rather optimistic book. Highly recommended!

Yesterday I finished Boneyards, the third "Diving Universe" book. It follows two storylines, one of searching for more Dignity Vessels and an attempt at sabotage, with the latter having some flashbacks to fill out the present. I liked it, though maybe not as much as the first two books in the series. I do plan to continue with the series.

Yesterday I finished The Galaxy, and the Ground Within, by Becky Chambers, the fourth book in her Wayfarers series.

The plot is fairly simple, in that a few aliens arrive on a stopover planet while traveling. There's an accident that forces them to remain at the planetary "rest stop" for a few days. The aliens sometimes try to get along with each other, and sometimes argue with each other. They learn about each other and make important decisions about their lives.

It's all about the characters, which is what I love about these books. The stakes are relatively low, but it's still interesting. It's a wonderful book, and I really enjoyed it!

I finished Skirmishes by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, the fourth Diving Universe book. In this there's an exploration of a ship graveyard while a border confrontation boils. Even though there's not that much action, I found the book to be fast-paced. I liked it and I plan to continue with the series.

Tales of Earthsea Ursula Le Guin. I've just read the novella "The Finder" and short story "Diamond and Darkrose". I've actually slowed down a bit with it, more because I just find it all so affecting. I've read her since I was quite young, and the way the world and the characters are portrayed - just so deep and troubling. Great stuff.

I got through the next book in the Diving Universe series, The Falls. The discovery of two pairs of shoes by a large waterfall on a planet leads to the discovery of a body. That kicks off a huge mystery. The novel is told from several points of view as the characters pull at the various threads of the mystery. Really good!

I finished Tales From Earthsea today (by Ursula K. Le Guin). Just brilliant.

I'm still in a reading mood, so have made a start on Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. The BBC 70s series is one of the my favourites. So far, it's good, plus occasionally unintentionally humerous in reflecting odd aspects of the then contemporary mores.

Back