What Are You Reading Right Now?

Yesterday I finished The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. It was entertaining but also had important things to say about prejudice and mental illness. I'd like to start on the follow-up novel, but as a third is due later this year, I'll wait to get at both then. For now I want to read another book on wish list. Just not sure what that book will be...

I'm having a go at 'The City in the Middle of the Night' by Charlie Jane Anders.
I'd read a bit of the hype on this and eventually bought it and started it.
TBH it's dragging a bit, too much unrequited romance and not enough sci fi. I have a feeling I won't finish it but I'll give it a couple more chapters out of stubbornness

Over the weekend I finished The Fated Sky, the follow-up to The Calculating Stars. I quite enjoyed it. I think I would like to read a bit more about the characters and the alternate timeline. I think the next books I'll read will be one of Gail Carriger's novellas and Theodora Goss' latest.

Yesterday evening I finished How to Marry a Werewolf by Gail Carriger. It was a good little romance story with some interesting drama and quite a few of Gail's touches. I quite enjoyed it.

Yesterday I finished Theodora Goss' collection Snow White Learns Witchcraft. It contains both poems and short stories. I really liked the short stories. There were interesting takes on fairy tales and folklore, and they featured interesting heroines. I'm not that much of a fan of poetry, but I did find some of the poems intriguing as well. Well worth picking up.

Yesterday I finished The Bayern Agenda by Dan Moren. It's a space opera spy thriller that takes place in the same universe as his first book, The Caledonian Gambit. The new novel has a strong and twisty plot. I enjoyed the two viewpoint characters and the others they met along the way. I liked that the universe is much more filled out in this novel than in the first. I know about both these books because Moren is on The Incomparable podcast quite a lot.

Yesterday I finished reading Sorcery & Cecilia by Patricia Wrede & Caroline Stevermer. It was a delightful fantasy novel, told entirely in letters between two cousins. Quite a fun read. I was amazed to learn that the authors chose which cousin to write and that the book started out as a letter game between them.

Yesterday I finished Sister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen. I knew it was the first book in a trilogy, but I thought it might be a stand-alone that became a trilogy. It's not a stand-alone, but it is a good book and I plan to get to the other books sooner rather than later.

I am presently reading The Girl who Takes an Eye for an Eye. It's a continuation of the Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. The original books, authored by Stieg Larsson were great reading.. SInce his death, this one is authored by David Lagercrantz. Just getting into it.

Yesterday I finished Embers of War by Gareth Powell. Good science fiction novel about atonement. Had a few interesting characters, including a sentient starship.

Over the past few days I re-read Expecting Someone Taller and Who's Afraid of Beowulf, both by Tom Holt. I read them when they first came out. I decided to re-read them to get into a good frame of mind for a project I've started. Both are light fantasy with classic myths meeting the modern world. The first is about the Ring Cycle, while the other is about Viking Sagas. They both have sudden endings, though I still feel that the one in the first novel just feels better. They're both fun reads, though not as funny as I remembered.

I'm going to pause reading for a bit and do some watching to keep me in the right frame of mind... :smiley:

Stanislaw Lem's Fiasco. Currently no one seems close with creative sci fi novels. they are all trying to imitate each other. clever stories but the -science- in the sci fi is missing. by that I don't mean auto didactic stuff but how about remembering it is also about alien sentience and strangeness. Like Clark Ashton Smith

Over the past few days I re-read Expecting Someone Taller and Who's Afraid of Beowulf, both by Tom Holt. I read them when they first came out. I decided to re-read them to get into a good frame of mind for a project I've started. Both are light fantasy with classic myths meeting the modern world. The first is about the Ring Cycle, while the other is about Viking Sagas. They both have sudden endings, though I still feel that the one in the first novel just feels better. They're both fun reads, though not as funny as I remembered.

I'm going to pause reading for a bit and do some watching to keep me in the right frame of mind... :smiley:
no not that! not a -right frame of mind- you may get stuck and we'll never hear from you again

Read a few of Stanislaw Lem's stories. Bubbling with ideas - many so original which current sf writers seem to be bereft to even contemplate -- too busy being caught up in sociology 101 - which is not sf at all. Maybe futurism or future society but sf is about -scientia- in the Renaissance sense of unearthing weirdness in plausible alien knowledge systems as a basis to weave a story. Now we get social drama to the nth degree - where it is all fiction and no scientia.

I'm trying to decide between three books right now. 1) "Leviathan Wakes" James S. A. Corey 2) "Heavy Weather" Bruce Sterling 3) "Islands in the Net" Bruce Sterling

Working on setting up a new Fire HD 8 tablet and took the opportunity to revisit the Kindle app. At the moment I'm essentially working my way through the list of stuff of any Kindle titles that authors have posted here in the forums the past few months. :D Amassing a backlog of digital titles is way too easy.

Back