What are you summer reading plans?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I love this time of year in this area... the suns out, the birds are chirping, the flowers are starting to come up. Of course it also means that I have to check out the lawnmower to get it ready for a summer of walking around behind it. :( The part to look foward to, though, is being able to sit outside in the evenings with a good book.

What's on your list of summer reading? I'm looking forward to picking up Earthsea as soon as I find it (local bookstore didn't have it :confused: ) and I really need to catch up on my tech' reading.

Classics

I will be reading some old classics in preparation for classes that I need to take eventually in the future. I probably won’t have much time to read anything else. Fortunately, since I will be an English education major, I like reading some classical literature. I will be finishing “The Iliad” of Homer and also finishing “King Lear” by Bard- Shakespeare that is. In a sense the Iliad” is some what of a fantasy story in a sense (even though it may not be considered such in a strict sense). I say this because it’s based on ancient Greek legend and mythology. The latter two can be considered types of fantasy, I think. I mean a lot of the things some ancient peoples believed are very fantastical by our standards. Of course to the ancient Greeks they might have been as believable as Christ, Mohamed, Moses or the prophet Elijah. Examples of these would be Greek deities and creatures such as Medusa or Pegasus.

Above reading classics will probably get back to "The Sum of all Fears" by Tom Clancy which I started but never had time or a chance to finish. I will probably try to finish it this coming summer. Of course the classics are paramount to my success in college so they come first and foremost. I usually like to read books for classes well in advance if I can. I do this mostly because I'm a very slow reader due to ADD.

Now there are a lot of books that I would like to read. Some of these include some Sci-Fi and fantasy books. I read the first book about the rise and fall of Khan but I didn't get to read the squeal. I only read the very first two chapters or so. I would also like to read some books by Asimov and Michael Creighton. I never had the chance to read any of his books but I have seen some of his movies. I saw “Jurassic Park” of course, “The Lost World” and “Disclosure” . The Last one wasn’t Science fiction, but it was a good movie: it made it’s point pretty well!. Anyhow does anyone here like Creighton’s books or the movies made based on them? Anyhow, pleas reply someone , sometime. Take care and have a good night. David :bsgsmile:

I remember reading the 'classics' for my literature classes many moons ago... there is actually some good reading in there for fans of the sci-fi & fantasy genres. Well, more fantasy then sci-fi but still some good reading.

Hi, I am a new member and thought I would chip in my two cents. I just finished the firts Earthsea book and am looking forward to picking up the next. Till then, since I was deprived as a child I am goint to read the Chronicles of Narnia. I am also looking forward to reading Mythago Wood.

PsyCo, welcome to Cool SciFi! :welcome:

I loved the Narnia series as a kid and was happy to see that's it's being made into a live action movie. I'm not familiar with Mythago Wood... who's it from?

By Robert Holdstock. The book description reminds me of Neil Gaiman's novels, which I love, here it is.

The mystery of Ryhope Wood, Britain's last fragment of primeval forest, consumed George Huxley's entire long life. Now, after his death, his sons have taken up his work. But what they discover is numinous and perilous beyond all expectation.

For the Wood, larger inside than out, is a labyrinth full of myths come to life, "mythagos" that can change you forever. A labyrinth where love and beauty haunt your dreams. . .and may drive you insane.

That actually sounds pretty interesting. :cool: My next trip to Border's I'll try to be on the lookout for it (since they didn't have any Earthsea copies in stock last time I left with a PHP manual instead :( ).

If you've never read Neil Gaiman, I suggest you also check out his books. Neverwhere is wonderful and American Gods is pretty good as well.

I've been (re-)reading Cussler's Numa/Pitt/Fargo books just about finished with

just checked out a detective book 'Mrs. Sherlock Holmes', not a SH work but a non-fiction about a lady detective in NYC back in the day.

Back