What are your thoughts about Marilyn Manson?

Sheldon

Dreamsmasher
After posting my Song of the Day thread, just wanted to hear what else everyone thought about him...

I'll chime in after I hear from a few of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love him, have always loved him and will always love him. I love the sound of the band, I love the way he reinvents himself, I love the covers of other songs he's done (he makes them darker, seedier and absolutely sublime sounding).

First song I heard by him was Beautiful People, I was coming home after a night out and it came onto the radio (we had the Friday Rock Show on Radio One at midnight with the DJ Tommy Vance and he'd introduce all these new bands and play the classics). The riff started for Beautiful People and I was hooked instantly.

As for the man, half of what's reported about him isn't true, he's a shock rocker, he admits as much. He's highly intelligent, a pretty good artist (away from music) and knows exactly what he's doing and how to work the media.

So yeah... I LOVE him :D

I like him, listened to him here and there in the 90's but really became a fan after Columbine. His music was blamed in that and other school shootings and the album they put out afterwards was really good.

Note: I was still in middle/high school when all of that happened so I was a big fan of "angry" music at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to like his old stuff, Holy Wood and below... I have Smells like Children in my truck's CD player I think. He was my favorite singer at one time, when he became big, I was a confused pre-teen boy who loved dressing in black and carrying around the Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LeVay lol.... I was a goth back then... But I guess they don't have that anymore, now they have these "emo" people. But back to Mason, his new stuff isn't that good, it isn't that shocking anymore either. I think he is getting old and losing his feel for being weird.

I used to like his old stuff, Holy Wood and below... I have Smells like Children in my truck's CD player I think. He was my favorite singer at one time, when he became big, I was a confused pre-teen boy who loved dressing in black and carrying around the Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LeVay lol.... I was a goth back then... But I guess they don't have that anymore, now they have these "emo" people. But back to Mason, his new stuff isn't that good, it isn't that shocking anymore either. I think he is getting old and losing his feel for being weird.

Goth and emo are two different things my friend.

Goths wear black clothing, listen to real music and smoke cigarettes in front of the school because they don't give a damn.

Emos wear whatever is in season at hot topic and constantly whine about how bad they have it living under the care of their parents.

I was never Goth, and the Emo thing came a long a little while after I left high school. But trust me there is a big difference in the two, a lot of my friends were Goths and the were nothing like the "Emo" kids my little brother went to school with. The emo kids seemed like preps that wanted to be edgy and wear all black from what I could tell. I also never met a Goth that wore tight jeans, Goths wear JNCOs and stuff like that.

/me is showing his age.

Ah, well thanks for the lesson :P

I left that scene long ago, though. I am full blown redneck now haha. But I still have a darkside here and there. I love the music and the movies part of it at least!

Ah, well thanks for the lesson :P

I left that scene long ago, though. I am full blown redneck now haha. But I still have a darkside here and there. I love the music and the movies part of it at least!

Yea same here man, I just wanted to point out the difference is all. Can't have you calling my old buds "Emo" haha. BTW I miss goth girls, loved them so much when I was in drama for two years.

If you like South Park they did an entire episode on this (well replace "emo" with "vamp"), it's pretty funny: South Park - The Ungroundable | South Park Studios US

I like manson, and most rock stuff I guess..... I was a bit of a metal head when I was younger, I can remember having a cut off denim jacket, covered in studs etc listening to Sabbath, ACDC, Iron maiden and what I'd term the earlier rock stuff......... I sort of drifted away from it a bit and went more mainstream as I had kids and a wife that was a miserable bitch.......then I managed to get shot of her and my musical tastes were able to become more diverse again, which was when I started listening to Manson etc....

Still do, among other things :smiley:

It's not really that I like him but I kind of respect him. For provoking and polarizing in a way that I didn't found in modern music.

Back