What are your thoughts about space exploration and why it is at a virtual standstill

painkiller64

Avoid A Void
:confused:Yes i am posting another thread with a start in the title like the other one so here goes.

Basically what are your thoughts and ideas about space exploration. why it seems to have gone to a standstill in some ways and why there is a massive rush now to get it going yet still taking forever in terms of a human lifetime.

For example. After WWII, there was massive amounts of time, money, manpower and resources expended to make sure that our world (not just one country, even though i know that it was a race between countries) made it to space.

A few short years later, we were in space, building extraordinary vehicles and traveling to the moon.

Then in the 70's it went dead, research was done and in the late 70's early 80's we got the shuttle. A few accidents, unfortunate lives lost but we went on. yet all we did was circle the earth.

We never went back to the moon. WHY?

In terms of authors and scientist alike we should have had, as a planet in whole a fully functioning moonbase by the early 90's at the latest.

We should have by the late 80's to mid 90's already sent a manned mission to mars. It was quite feasible at those times.

Even relatively by now could have had a small base on mars.

We have the resources to do that or have done that. There is no arguments from world leaders or scientist that it could not be done. 6 months to travel there. we do have the resources for them to survive for a year till replacements arrive.

i grew up in the 60's to the 80's hearing about the possibilities with all that. Oh the dreams that inspired me. I dreamed that by my age now i would be living or walking on one of those two places, the moon or mars. Dreams of being on a spaceship, travelling the stars. Now i am rambling but they are still dreams.

So everyone, tell me. What are your thoughts, ideas, dreams, aspirations.
Why does it appear our world governments are holding back in these pursuits?:confused:

Re: What are your thoughts about space exploration and why it is at a virtual standst

1) diminishing returns on technology. it will take a huge tech leap to make any real improvement in our current chem rocket system.

2) lack of will. Moon race was (at least partly) motivated by competition wi USSR. no one seems to care much if they get to Mars first (are they even trying?)

3) lack of motivation, related to above. is it really worth the trouble, esp wi miserable economy? and why send people to Mars if we can send satellites to take samples? I think the average Joe on the Street would rather have lower taxes (I know, it would be an insignificant amount, per person) than a flag on Mars, not to mention the politicians (how can you justify spending a gzaillion on Mars when we don't have health care/infrastructure/National Bongo Museum etc.)

Re: What are your thoughts about space exploration and why it is at a virtual standst

I agree.
The idea that we can escape earthly problems (like scarcity) by zooming off to the stars is a fond SF dream, but the reality of it doesn't wear very well.

A program to send bongos to space might be possible by private donations however.

I agree.
The idea that we can escape earthly problems (like scarcity) by zooming off to the stars is a fond SF dream, but the reality of it doesn't wear very well.

A program to send bongos to space might be possible by private donations however.

I think there was a Heinlein story about a private company launching the first space/moon rocket as the government wasn't interested (this may have been during his dreaded religious tyranny stage). as I recall the people that did it expected to get hammered but got lionized, and it might have helped end the neo-dark ages.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a private enterprise enter the satellite field, if one hasn't already. I understand there is 'space tourism' going on.

there are lots of companies now that are trying to make space travel affordable for the masses. interesting enough, they will be the ones that ferry us to the stars and to other colonies in the future.

i just watched destination moon last night for the first time. it was a heinlein novel made into a movie in 1950. quite amusing to watch and very interesting that alot of what they didnt know about rocket launches and space seemed pagged on the nose. the point is that in the novel and movie it is funding from private sources that made the rocket and journey to the moon. a statement quoted in the movie when they got to the moon is " we claim the moon in the name of the united states for all mankind". that one statement alone is quite powerful for a private company to make.

Back