What are your thoughts of the 2012 scenario

"Not saying anything" means you haven't said anything. You haven't really put out any thoughts, just quoted others and said, "No, no, no, I don't know what you mean, but I no it's just no, no, no."
As opposed to yourself, who referred to Terrence McKenna, the famous mushroom expert, and a "Mayan" idea which was down to José Argüelles, a "New Age" philosopher, whose "works remain completely unsupported by any professional Mayanist scholar" ( José Argüelles - Wikipedia ).

Instead of replying to any of my comments on physics you keep yelping about mystical stuff. That's what I mean by "witches" and in "witch hunts"...if you aren't familiar witht the term, just ask and somebody will explain it.
The word I used was "superstition". I suggest that you look it up. The primary definition in my dictionary is: "An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome", which describes the "Mayan" Dec. 21, 2012 fantasy very accurately.

PS Fossil magnetism shouldn't be taken seriously?
You mean paleomagentic reversals? They are an established fact. The last one took place 780,000 years ago and they are believed to take around 2,000 years to happen. In what way is that relevant to the significance of 21 Dec 2012, or any other day you care to choose?

This thread however, is about sharing thoughts on 2012. And you have not followed the discussion at all. There have been scientific points raised. I mentioned at the time that you obviously don't have a clue about them. (Search back) Then you prove it by not touching them, just ranting about how you only talk about science. After declining to do so, just trying to scramble around and not look like a tool.
Unsuccessfully.
Well, then lets look at the evidence for the significance of 21 December 2012, shall we, and see just how "scientific" it is. As far as I can see there are two main pieces of evidence that have been put forward (by all means add more if there are any).

1. The Mayan "long year" cycle comes to an end then. This is generally accepted (although there is some debate about the exact date), but provides no evidence whatsoever that anything untoward will happen then. Even if the Mayans had claimed that the world was going to end (which they didn't) that would only provide evidence of what the Mayans believed, not what was actually going to happen. As it is, the source for the "Mayan end of the world" myth is a man whose notion has been dismissed by every serious scientist involved in Maya research. There is no scientifically valid evidence whatsoever which either supports the idea that the Mayans believed that the world would end then, nor that it actually will.

2. Terence McKenna's "Timewave Zero" hypothesis. I have looked at this. You will, I hope, understand that the primary requirement for such a notion to be taken seriously is that it must be published in a reputable, peer reviewed, science journal. But I read here Terence McKenna - Wikipedia that

"As the theory was never published in a peer-reviewed journal and McKenna's sources and reasoning were primarily what would be considered numerological rather than mathematical by professional mathematicians and scientists, the theory has failed to gain any (scientific) credibility or much recognition."

That seems to sum up the scientific credibility of McKenna's theory very well. I also note this summary of his ideas:

The graph shows at what times, but never at what locations, novelty is supposedly increasing or decreasing. According to the timewave graph, great periods of novelty occurred about 4 billion years ago when Earth was formed, 65 million years ago when dinosaurs were extinct and mammals expanded, about 10,000 years ago after the end of the ice age, around late 18th century when social and scientific revolutions progressed, during the sixties, around the time of 9/11, and with coming novelty periods in November 2008, October 2010, with the novelty progressing towards the infinity on 21st December 2012 [1] — although, depending on what input is given to the software, any arbitrary set of results can be obtained, much like numerology.

And this description of numerology from here: Numerology - Wikipedia emphasis its complete lack of scientific credibility:

"Numerology is any of many systems, traditions or beliefs in a mystical or esoteric relationship between numbers and physical objects or living things.

Numerology and numerological divination were popular among early mathematicians, such as Pythagoras, but are no longer considered part of mathematics and are regarded as pseudomathematics by most modern scientists. This is similar to the historical development of astronomy out of astrology, and chemistry from alchemy.

Today, numerology is often associated with the occult, alongside astrology and similar divinatory arts. The term can also be used for those who, in the view of some observers, place excess faith in numerical patterns, even if those people don't practice traditional numerology."​

Oh yes, and painkiller did suggest that "the chinese and pretty much every other societies calender end on or around december 2012". Well, the Chinese calendar certainly doesn't (see Chinese calendar correspondence table - Wikipedia ), the standard one used throughout the world certainly doesn't, so what does that leave?

To sum up: your "scientific" points are completely bogus, as is the rest of your argument. I have now wasted quite enough time on this nonsense, and will leave you to enjoy your delusional fantasies in peace.

as the old journalist said, never let facts get in the way of a good story.

makes me wonder how many truisms out there are really falsies which individuals don't or can't research, and thus blindly accept. there's an old Sunday School myth that men have one rib few than women due to Adam/Eve; unfortunately some churches still teach that; well-meaning but incorrect. I think youthful skepticism is a good and healthy thing. NOTHING--Bible, evolution, global warming, holacaust--should be blindly accepted. if true it will hold up to scrutiny; if false let the lie die. the Mayan Prophecy thing, for instance; I've heard it reapeated so many times I never really considered questioning it (if that many people agree on it with no naysayers...); now I will.
or am I stating the obvious here?

(note; I am not stating case for or against any of the above, just suggesting they are examples of don't-question-this-sms.)

As opposed to yourself, who referred to Terrence McKenna, the famous mushroom expert, and a "Mayan" idea which was down to José Argüelles, a "New Age" philosopher, whose "works remain completely unsupported by any professional Mayanist scholar" ( José Argüelles - Wikipedia ).

No, you moron attempted-bully. I didn't "reference" McKenna... I mentioned his ideas. Thougth it might be appropriate to a thread calling for thoughts on 2012. Not everybody is as threatened as you are by thoughts that don't fit their pigeonholes.
"Mayanists" scholars would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to say about McKenna's work as it is completley out of their field.
You're really lousy at this, why do you keep it up? You just look more close-minded and illiterate with each outburst.

Whoa... "look it up" as a riposte to "look it up"! Devastating. Like most people (accept you, apparently, since you needed a dictionary) I know what superstition is. This 2012 thing doesn't really qualify because it's not some belief system. And certainly not here, where it's being discussed as a concept. Except by you.

So, once again, you have copied a bunch of comments from other people without sallying a SINGLE IDEA of your own. Like I said.

You just don't understand what's going on here and getting hysterical about applying that lack of understanding to others. My impression is that you apply the same approach to real life. Kind of sad.

But what everybody but you is doing is trying to discuss the concept of a cycle in human events and how that might manifest.

You are trying to show us that you can google, copy, and paste. Whether it has anything to do with the matter at hand or not. (And, less wittingly, that your reading comprehension is deplorable)

Screenersam. Another light on that might be the contrapositive. How about things that ARE valid, but get repressed and decried because people just don't understand them.

I won't bother to list the many instances of intellectual witch hunts (including the LITERAL witch hunts of Salem and the Inquisition) that turned out to be false, disproving not only the semi-educated layman like Williams here, but the scientific establishment at large.

The attitude of "anything I don't understand is false and nobody should even TALK about it" is not, of course, scientific. A scientific mind will examine any premise and not dismiss anything not proven.

The "Scientism" devotee, however, merely substitutes his understanding of one Book for another Book and goeth forth with sword and cross.

So, in the spirit of not being a denying pinhead, let me put out a question for those who prefer to think than rant:

We look at a calendar system that (fairly uniquely) has a fixed end. So we start to think or talk about that. And immediately people start talking about "the end of the world". We've got a movie coming about comet destruction on that date. We have zombie apocalypse.

I've suggested some other scenarios here that I think are a little more interesting than that.

Anybody else? What possible scenarios can be speculated for the end of a cycle of time?

Another question. Has anybody gotten interested in this sufficiently to date the entire cycle, see what historical events are associated with the cycle?

Sorry to come back with a quick PS, but this is something I forgot to draw attention to in my last post. Another quote from this site: Terence McKenna - Wikipedia

"Originally McKenna had chosen the end of the calendar by looking for a very novel event in recent history, and using this as the beginning of the final 67.29 year cycle; the event he chose was the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, which gave an end-date in mid-November of 2012, but when he discovered the proximity of this date to the end of the current 13-baktun cycle of the Maya calendar, he adjusted the end date to match this point in the calendar."
So it's hardly surprising that McKenna came up with the same "end point" as the Maya cycle - he fiddled his figures to achieve exactly that!

And while I'm here:

No, you moron attempted-bully. I didn't "reference" McKenna... I mentioned his ideas.
Moron? You can't even read. I never said that you "referenced" McKenna - I said that you "referred to" him - which you certainly did.

Bravo! Great post!!!! TWO quotes, no ideas, nothing coherent, just blather and second-hand stewing. You're getting worse at this over the years, Williams.

And STILL can't cough up an original thought on the thread you keep haunting trying to make people think you're not full of ****. Impressive slacking.

Check back in when you actually READ some of these posts and have something to say about them. Try it. READ what people say. THINK about it.
No, really THINK about it. Just because you never do doesn't mean you can't. Come up with an original thought on the topic of time cycles or whatever. Post it. You might find out people take it more seriously than your wet diaper tantrums.

I'll help you out. Just in case you saw something about fossil magnetism back there in the several times it was mentioned while you were chasing the McKenna Witch Project around your parietals... what do you think about that? Now here's a cycle of the polarity of the earth's magnetic field reversing. Do you think that would have any effect on the world?

Here's another one, since you missed the references to quantum physics and time dynamics: do you think there could be such a thing as cycles in time, a node or any kind? Or do you assume it's this thing that started out of nothing and just keeps getting longer and longer forever?

Give it a shot: some thoughts. Strain a little.

yes the calenders all continue to flow like an ice cold stream through the wandering mind of an idiot.

my references were for that statement about the calenders ending on 2012 is from wikipedia and from the history channel. if you want me to find the exact EXACT references for your feeblish attempt at glorification, then i will. till then, mr williams, since you like to research, feel free to look it up yourself......no better yet i will and i will place them here later on tonight.

your vain inuendos that come across to me is getting way off subject here. not that i dont like reading a good debate but i started this for THOUGHTS ABOUT 2012 SCENARIO. i could care less if someone got doped up and tired to read his tea leaves before his cup was empty or that he misinterpereted his i ching for his life was going to end instead of the world or better yet maybe, just maybe the references in wikipedia he looked up could be wrong since they are posted on there by people like you and i.

i am not saying i am right nor wrong, just a little put off that this thread has turned into a farce.

just for the heck of it i went and picked one website at random and came up with this that, yes, i am copying and pasting from that site. here it is.....

Most of the Mayan calendars were short. The Tzolk'in calendar lasted for 260 days and the Haab' approximated the solar year of 365 days. The Mayans then combined both the Tzolk'in and the Haab' to form the "Calendar Round", a cycle lasting 52 Haab's (around 52 years, or the approximate length of a generation). Within the Calendar Round were the trecena (13 day cycle) and the veintena (20 day cycle). Obviously, this system would only be of use when considering the 18,980 unique days over the course of 52 years. In addition to these systems, the Mayans also had the "Venus Cycle". Being keen and highly accurate astronomers they formed a calendar based on the location of Venus in the night sky. It's also possible they did the same with the other planets in the Solar System.
Using the Calendar Round is great if you simply wanted to remember the date of your birthday or significant religious periods, but what about recording history? There was no way to record a date older than 52 years.
The end of the Long Count = the end of the Earth?
The Mayans had a solution. Using an innovative method, they were able to expand on the 52 year Calendar Round. Up to this point, the Mayan Calendar may have sounded a little archaic - after all, it was possibly based on religious belief, the menstrual cycle, mathematical calculations using the numbers 13 and 20 as the base units and a heavy mix of astrological myth. The only principal correlation with the modern calendar is the Haab' that recognised there were 365 days in one solar year (it's not clear whether the Mayans accounted for leap years). The answer to a longer calendar could be found in the "Long Count", a calendar lasting 5126 years.
I'm personally very impressed with this dating system. For starters, it is numerically predictable and it can accurately pinpoint historical dates. However, it depends on a base unit of 20 (where modern calendars use a base unit of 10). So how does this work?
palenque_ruins-250x187.jpg
The base year for the Mayan Long Count starts at "0.0.0.0.0". Each zero goes from 0-19 and each represent a tally of Mayan days. So, for example, the first day in the Long Count is denoted as 0.0.0.0.1. On the 19th day we'll have 0.0.0.0.19, on the 20th day it goes up one level and we'll have 0.0.0.1.0. This count continues until 0.0.1.0.0 (about one year), 0.1.0.0.0 (about 20 years) and 1.0.0.0.0 (about 400 years). Therefore, if I pick an arbitrary date of 2.10.12.7.1, this represents the Mayan date of approximately 1012 years, 7 months and 1 day.
This is all very interesting, but what has this got to do with the end of the world? The Mayan Prophecy is wholly based on the assumption that something bad is going to happen when the Mayan Long Count calendar runs out. Experts are divided as to when the Long Count ends, but as the Maya used the numbers of 13 and 20 at the root of their numerical systems, the last day could occur on 13.0.0.0.0. When does this happen? Well, 13.0.0.0.0 represents 5126 years and the Long Count started on 0.0.0.0.0, which corresponds to the modern date of August 11th 3114 BC. Have you seen the problem yet? The Mayan Long Count ends 5126 years later on December 21st, 2012.
Doomsday
When something ends (even something as innocent as an ancient calendar), people seem to think up the most extreme possibilities for the end of civilization as we know it. A brief scan of the internet will pull up the most popular to some very weird ways that we will, with little logical thought, be wiped off the face of the planet. Archaeologists and mythologists on the other hand believe that the Mayans predicted an age of enlightenment when 13.0.0.0.0 comes around; there isn't actually much evidence to suggest doomsday will strike. If anything, the Mayans predict a religious miracle, not anything sinister.
Myths are abound and seem to be fuelling movie storylines. It looks like the new Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is even based around the Mayan myth that 13 crystal skulls can save humanity from certain doom. This myth says that if the 13 ancient skulls are not brought together at the right time, the Earth will be knocked off its axis. This might be a great plotline for blockbuster movies, but it also highlights the hype that can be stirred, lighting up religious, scientific and not-so-scientific ideas that the world is doomed.
asteroid_earth_impact-250x169.jpg
Some of the most popular space-based threats to the Earth and mankind focus on Planet X wiping most life off the planet, meteorite impacts, black holes, killer solar flares, Gamma Ray Bursts from star systems, a rapid ice age and a polar (magnetic) shift. There is so much evidence against these things happening in 2012, it's shocking just how much of a following they have generated. Each of the above "threats" needs their own devoted article as to why there is no hard evidence to support the hype.
But the fact remains, the Mayan Doomsday Prophecy is purely based on a calendar which we believe hasn't been designed to calculate dates beyond 2012. Mayan archaeo-astronomers are even in debate as to whether the Long Count is designed to be reset to 0.0.0.0.0 after 13.0.0.0.0, or whether the calendar simply continues to 20.0.0.0.0 (approximately 8000 AD) and then reset. As Karl Kruszelnicki brilliantly writes:
"…when a calendar comes to the end of a cycle, it just rolls over into the next cycle. In our Western society, every year 31 December is followed, not by the End of the World, but by 1 January. So 13.0.0.0.0 in the Mayan calendar will be followed by 0.0.0.0.1 - or good-ol' 22 December 2012, with only a few shopping days left to Christmas." - Excerpt from Dr Karl's "Great Moments in Science".
Sources: Dr Karl's Great Moments in Science, IHT, 2012 Wiki

the url of the source is No Doomsday in 2012 - Universe Today.

a reference point from wikipedia for those interested....

December 21 - 11:11 UTC. Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere.[3]
December 21 - The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point (equivalent to August 11, 3114 BC in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283).[4] The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13.0.0.0.0) is repeated, for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Monument 6) that records this date. It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed.[5] This date figures prominently in the religious syncretism of New Age Mayanism.
December 23 - The alternative date for the completion of the thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle in the Maya calendar, using a version of the GMT-correlation based on a JDN of 584285 (a.k.a. the "astronomical" or "Lounsbury correlation"), which is supported by a smaller number of Mayanist researchers.[6]
The sun will reverse its own magnetic poles as a result of reaching the end of the current 11-year sunspot cycle.[9]The sun will reverse its own magnetic poles as a result of reaching the end of the current 11-year sunspot cycle.[9]

2012 geophysical and cosmological speculations

John Major Jenkins and others [11] claim that an alignment will occur when the sun rises above the horizon on December 21 2012, at which point the sun will rise in the middle of the Milky Way Galaxy, thus causing an alignment between the earth, sun, and the galactic center.[12] It is claimed that this event will cause numerous changes on Earth. However, the event is only a visual phenomenon from the earth's perspective, which is caused by the precession of the equinoxes or the 26,000 year wobble of the earth, and thus only changes our perspective, not the actual position of the earth in relation to the galaxy. In short, there is no gravitational force or radiation to be expected from this event because other than the tilt of the earth, nothing will be any different from what occurs in any other solstice. [13][14][15]
There are also claims such as those of Michael Tsarion [16] that an actual physical alignment of our entire solar system will occur with the horizontal plane of the Milky Way Galaxy on that day. The solar system is moving around the center of the galaxy every 225 million years or so, and while doing so is moving up and down in a cycle crossing the plane every 33 million years. According to the Journal Nature, however, there is evidence of the solar system crossing the galactic plane 3 million years ago. This would mean that we are moving away from the galactic plane, not toward it, and we will not be due to cross it for another 30 million years.[17]
There are also theories that a currently unknown planet, sometimes referred to as planet x or Nibiru, which supposedly has an odd orbit that only enters the local solar system every 3600 years will return in 2012 causing many problems. [18] The idea is traced back to Zecharia Sitchin's translations of Sumerian texts, and specifically to his interpretation of the VA 243 cylinder seal, which he says shows that the Sumerians knew of 12 planets (sun, moon, and ten others). This idea has been challenged by his peers, most notably Michael Heiser. [19] [20]
Among other possible scenarios is that a shift of the Earth's magnetic poles may occur, and that this will leave the earth vulnerable to harmful radiation from the sun.[21] According to NASA magnetic pole reversal does not occur on a particular day or year, but over the course of thousands of years. Furthermore, the magnetic field does not vanish during this natural cycle, but becomes more complex as it makes the transition.[22]
Some proponents of the pole shift scenario claim that this shift would be a physical movement of the poles of the earth, and not simply a magnetic shift. This event is called a true polar wander. Earth has experienced a few degree shift in the past, but nowhere near a reversal, and there is no reason to suggest this is likely or even possible. According to William Sager, a Texas A&M Oceanographer, a slight shift in the physical pole occurs at a rate between 5 and 10 degrees per million years, which means that this event could not happen on a particular day or year but only over a long period of time. [23]

2012 metaphysical speculations

2012 is claimed by some with New age beliefs to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or alternatively an apocalypse). There is disagreement among believers whether 2012 will see an end of civilization, or humanity will be elevated to a higher level.[24]
Many esoteric sources[who?] interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.
Several authors have published works which claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:
  • The 1997 book The Bible Code by Michael Drosnin claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, an asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth. Drosnin also states in his book that the Bible code only predicts possibilities.
  • The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.
  • Riley Martin claims that Biaviian aliens will allow passage aboard their 'Great Mother Ship' when the Earth is 'transformed' in 2012.
  • Terence McKenna's numerological novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.
  • Dannion Brinkley, in his 2007 book, Secrets of the Light, a follow-up to his 1995 bestseller Saved by the Light, claims "that by the year 2012 humanity will experience unprecedented mental and spiritual transformations, coinciding precisely with the Earth's passage through great physical upheaval" (Brinkley 96).[25]
2012 in fiction

Literature

• Methuselah's Children (1941/1958) and Time Enough for Love (1973) by Robert A. Heinlein: A crucial meeting of the Howard Families takes place, following the election of Nehemiah Scudder for president of the USA. In both novels, viewpoint character Lazarus Long is asked what happened at this meeting as he is the last living eyewitness; in both novels he declines to answer. Nehemiah Scudder establishes a religious dictatorship in the USA.
  • Decipher (2001) by Stel Pavlou depicts the discovery of Atlantis and a polar shift being caused by solar flare activity.
  • Domain (2002) and Resurrection (2000) by author Steve Alten: A fictional series that tells the events of the Gabriel twins after discovering the mystery behind 2012.
  • 2012: The War for Souls by author Whitley Strieber (2007) is a fictional novel about three parallel earths and the occurrences leading up to December 21, 2012 in each as the walls between them begin to thin and allow passage through gateways to the others. A film adaptation is proposed, produced by Michael Bay. [26]
Comics

• The Invisibles ("The Invisible Kingdom," 1999–2000): The Invisibles' "fictional" universe expands into the meta-context of the "higher universe," possibly our own.
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure by Hirohiko Araki: In the 6th part of this manga, the protagonists Jolyne Kujo, Hermes, Emporio, Anasui and Weather Report have to stop the villain Enrico Pucci from erasing the universe. Pucci obtains the stand Stairway to Heaven, which has the power of rewriting the universe, and tries to use the stand to create the perfect world for his master Dio. All these events occur in 2012, with the current universe ending near the completion of the thirteenth cycle of the Mayan calendar.
Music

• "A Certain Shade of Green," a song from the Incubus album S.C.I.E.N.C.E., references 2012 in the following lines: Are you gonna stand around till 2012 A.D.? / What are you waiting for, a certain shade of green?. December 21, 2012 also appears to be the date when the video for the song "Warning" is supposed to take place.
  • Genesis's song Get'em Out By Friday from their 1972 album Foxtrot, sets "18/9/2012" (on the printed operistic-dialog lyrics) as the date when "Genetic Control" would set a height restriction on human beings so that twice as many people could fit on real estate properties.
  • The Hed PE song "I.F.O." (to be found on their self-titled album), which is about UFO sightings and governmental conspiracies to cover them up, references the year 2012: "Prepare to meet your maker in the skies over the pyramids / Check Stonehenge / Go ask the Mayans / 2012 soon come / I will be waitin' sayin' I told you so / When the skies are ripped open / And the mothership lands on your cynical ***".
  • Stones Throw Records artist Dudley Perkins released his LP, entitled 'Expressions (2012 A.U.)', in 2006
  • The instrumental song "December 21, 2012" by Frodus, which appears as a B-side to their best-selling 7" vinyl single of their Devo cover "Explosions" (Released 1997).
  • The Anaal Nathrakh song "Timewave Zero" is about the apparent end of the world on December 21, 2012. The lyrics are translated as "The 21st Of December, 2012, The time will come"
  • The A Day To Remember song "Fast Forward to 2012" refers to the world ending in 2012 as a warning for friends to do something to prepare.
  • British nu-rave outfit Klaxons sing about apocalyptic horsemen in their song "Four Horsemen Of 2012" from the 2007 album Myths of the Near Future.
  • The song "2012 — Demise of the 5th Sun" by the melodic death metal band Scar Symmetry is a reference to the year 2012. "For the lines on the fractal wave / Fit the course of history / They're created to work as one till the end / When the winter solstice comes / Actualizing the prophecy / The demise in 2012 realized"
  • The Testament song "3 Days in Darkness", off of The Gathering album is a song about 2012, and speaks of the earth being swallowed in molten fire.
  • VNV Nation's album Praise The Fallen" has the subtitle "PTF 2012", which is also the name of a track in the album, which seems to be predominantly about an upcoming war. The song, "Honour" starts with the line, "Passive fields, January 2012..."
  • Heavy metal band Burnt By The Sun's two albums both deal with prophecies concerning the year 2012.
  • "2012" is the name of the 2005 album by the experimental rock band Old Time Relijun, and several songs make references to ancient Mayan culture, such as "Burial Mound" and "The King of Lost Light."
  • On the band Hella's album There's No 666 in Outer Space there is a track called "2012 and Countless" in which the only words are "There's no 666 in Outer Space" repeated.
  • Metal band Ewigkeit's album Radio Ixtlan has a track entitled "Live at Palenque 2012" referencing both the Mayan calendar date and the site at which the Temple of Inscriptions where it is carved.
  • Canibus mentions the year 2012 and December 21, 2012 on his Poet Laureate Infinity vocals and on his 2007 album For Whom the Beat Tolls.
  • Industrial metal band Hanzel und Gretyl's fifth album is called 2012: Zwanzig Zwölf referencing the belief that the world will end in this year, as foretold in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar.
  • On DJ Muggs & Sick Jacken's album Legend of the Mask and the Assassin, they "prophetize" armageddon and other catastrophic events occurring in "2012 (feat. Cynic)."
Film

Television

Games

Radio

See also

Notes

1. <LI id=cite_note-0>^ Near Earth Object Fact Sheet <LI id=cite_note-1>^ Homepage - London 2012 <LI id=cite_note-USNO-2>^ United States Naval Observatory (2007-01-28). "Earth's Seasons: Equinoxes, Solstices, Perihelion, and Aphelion, 2000-2020". http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/EarthSeasons.php. <LI id=cite_note-3>^ See Finley (2002), Houston (1989, pp.49–51), Miller and Taube (1993, pp.50–52), Voss (2006, p.138), Wagner (2006, pp.281–283). Note that Houston 1989 mistakenly writes "3113 BC" (when "-3113" is meant), and Miller and Taube 1993's mention of "2 August" is a (presumed) erratum. <LI id=cite_note-4>^ Wagner (2006, p.281; also ill.443). <LI id=cite_note-5>^ After a modified proposal championed by Floyd Lounsbury; sources that have used this correlation include Houston (1989, p.51), and in particular Schele and Freidel (1990, pp.430 et seq.). See also commentary by Finley (2002), who although making an assessment that the "[584285 correlation yielding end-date of December 23] is now more popular with Mayanists", expresses a personal preference for the 584283 correlation. <LI id=cite_note-6>^ NASA, Intel, SGI Plan to 'Soup Up' Supercomputer <LI id=cite_note-7>^ IBM Tapped For 20-Petaflop Government Supercomputer <LI id=cite_note-8>^ The Sun Does a Flip <LI id=cite_note-9>^ When is the Digital TV Switchover? The different regions and dates <LI id=cite_note-10>^ Jenkins, John M. (1998). Maya Cosmogenesis 2012. <LI id=cite_note-11>^ "Why 2012?". http://www.artideas.com/Why2012/Why2012.html. <LI id=cite_note-12>^ "Activity: Precession of the Equinoxes". Activity for Precession of the Equinoxes. <LI id=cite_note-13>^ "Precession of the Equinoxes". Stability of Lagrange Points. <LI id=cite_note-14>^ "Precession of the Earth's Rotation Axis". http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/time/precession.html. <LI id=cite_note-15>^ (2006). The Future of Mankind [video presentation]. Los Angeles: Grenada forum. <LI id=cite_note-16>^ Bahcall, John N.. "The Sun's motion perpendicular to the galactic plane". http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v316/n6030/abs/316706a0.html. <LI id=cite_note-17>^ "Planet X Nibiru". http://churchofcriticalthinking.org/planetx.html. <LI id=cite_note-18>^ "Sitchin is Wrong website". http://sitchiniswrong.com. <LI id=cite_note-19>^ Heiser, Dr. Michael. "The Myth of a 12th Planet: A Brief Analysis of Cylinder Seal VA 243". http://www.sitchiniswrong.com/VA243seal.pdf. <LI id=cite_note-20>^ (2009). Nostradamus 2012 [video presentation]. The History Channel. <LI id=cite_note-21>^ "Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field". NASA - Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field. <LI id=cite_note-22>^ ScienceDaily. "Texas A&M Oceanographer Challenges Plate Tectonics As Reason For Poles' Shift". Texas A&M Oceanographer Challenges Plate Tectonics As Reason For Poles' Shift. <LI id=cite_note-Religioustolerance-23>^ Predictions that the world's end or a major transition will come on or about 2012-DEC-21, Religioustolerance.org <LI id=cite_note-24>^ Brinkley, Dannion. (2007) Secrets of the Light. New York: Harper One.
  2. ^ "Michael Bay Confirmed for ''2012''". 2007-09-24. http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=5922. Retrieved on 11 July 2008.

References

Argüelles, José (1987). The Mayan Factor: Path Beyond Technology. Bear & Company. Drosnin, Michael (1997). The Bible Code. New York, NY: Touchstone Press. Finley, Michael (2002). "The Correlation Question". The Real Maya Prophecies: Astronomy in the Inscriptions and Codices. Maya Astronomy. Shaw Communications. Retrieved on 2007-06-04. Houston, Stephen D. (1989). Reading the Past: Maya Glyphs. London: British Museum Publications. ISBN 0-7141-8069-6. OCLC 18814390. Miller, Mary; and Karl Taube (1993). The Gods and Symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya: An Illustrated Dictionary of Mesoamerican Religion. London: Thames & Hudson. ISBN 0-500-05068-6. OCLC 27667317. Morrison, Grant, and various artists (1995–2000) The Invisibles, vol. 1 issues 1–25, vol. 2 issues 1–22, vol. 3 issues 12–1 (the third volume is numbered in descending order). New York, NY: Vertigo Comics. Pinchbeck, Daniel (2006). 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl. New York: Penguin Books. Schele, Linda; and David Freidel (1990). A Forest of Kings: The Untold Story of the Ancient Maya. New York: William Morrow. ISBN 0-688-07456-1. OCLC 21295769. Voss, Alexander (2006). "Astronomy and Mathematics". in Nikolai Grube (ed.). Maya: Divine Kings of the Rain Forest. Eva Eggebrecht and Matthias Seidel (assistant eds.). Cologne: Könemann. pp. 130–143. ISBN 3-8331-1957-8. OCLC 71165439. Wagner, Elizabeth (2006). "Maya Creation Myths and Cosmography". in Nikolai Grube (ed.). Maya: Divine Kings of the Rain Forest. Eva Eggebrecht and Matthias Seidel (Assistant eds.). Cologne: Könemann. pp. 280–293. ISBN 3-8331-1957-8. OCLC 71165439.
Retrieved from "2012 - Wikipedia"
Categories: 2012 | 2010s | Years in the future
Hidden categories: Wikipedia semi-protected pages | Articles with specifically-marked weasel-worded phrases

there is alot here. i just want to make sure i am not dumb.

here is the videos from history channel. at least one of them. you can go to youtube and see the rest.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZtMwIPb4c

interesting stuff there Master Aspirin. 99% looks like sheer speculation, just a hint of hard science in the astronomical info. didn't we go thru this a year or two ago with some planetary alignment?...I read some of ZStitchin's stuff years ago. He's like Van Daniken with a bit better documentation; heavy on the interpretation.
anyone have any idea what the most likely hard-science scenario would be, for a near-future apocalypse? I'm thinking solar activity, followed by a bio-armed jihadist.
by the way, the Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl; if that isn't a sign of the end of times..!

Screenersam. Another light on that might be the contrapositive. How about things that ARE valid, but get repressed and decried because people just don't understand them.

I won't bother to list the many instances of intellectual witch hunts (including the LITERAL witch hunts of Salem and the Inquisition) that turned out to be false, disproving not only the semi-educated layman like Williams here, but the scientific establishment at large.

The attitude of "anything I don't understand is false and nobody should even TALK about it" is not, of course, scientific. A scientific mind will examine any premise and not dismiss anything not proven.

The "Scientism" devotee, however, merely substitutes his understanding of one Book for another Book and goeth forth with sword and cross.

related phenomenon might be the Urban Myth. The Evil Gas companies own the patents to the 100 mpg carburator; the Evil Tire companies hold the secret formula for tires that will last indefinitely. I'm surprised how many people casually accept these stories ('oh, yeah, I believe it. My brother in law told me one time...'). I think elections are a particular result of this.

Since the end of the Mayan calendar is often the basis for some of the wild theories as to what is going to happen in 2012, I'm going to throw another theory out there...

While talking with the wife on the issue, her response is about as straight-forward as it could be on the topic.

Perhaps the Mayan calendar creators simply stopped at the end of the calculated cycle and assumed, wrongly, that a future generation of Mayans would calculate the next cycle?

Occam's Razor at work. ;)

While talking with the wife on the issue, her response is about as straight-forward as it could be on the topic.

Perhaps the Mayan calendar creators simply stopped at the end of the calculated cycle and assumed, wrongly, that a future generation of Mayans would calculate the next cycle?

kevin, i do believe that your wife put this thing into the best perspective and i would venture to guess that she is correct. it seems only logical.

now after that statement i am not resposible for enlarged egos from the opposite sex. :eek: :cry:

and that post, the very long one i did, was to prove that i could copy and paste info just like anyone.

Wow Kevin, your wife is very intelligent. It's funny how a lot of history has been to the fact that simple things like that happen, yet the future population thinks there is some kind of huge explanation for it.

if i may interject? fearing what we dont know or cant explain can make the masses try to believe. making a mountain out of a mole hill so to speak. it happens in everything in life we just process it in different ways. when it comes to end of life or planet then it is so blown out of proportion sometimes that we can never see where or what it really is.

the simplest answer is sometimes the most logical

FWIW, I think the same thing that happened in the runup to Y2K will happen in regards to the 2012 scenario.............absolutely nothing.

Will there be a few individuals who'll panic as they did around Y2K......probably, but I suspect at the end of the day we'll all be around discussing how the day went and looking forward to the next day....and the next.....and, so on.

Sure, you guys... stick your head in the sand and try to pretend that doesn't leave your asses presenting themselves up in the real world.

I think this citation pretty much removes all doubt on the issue:

Sure, you guys... stick your head in the sand and try to pretend that doesn't leave your asses presenting themselves up in the real world.

I think this citation pretty much removes all doubt on the issue:

Like I said in my previous post, I don't think anything will happen in regards to the 2012 scenario........absolutely nothing!!! If anything, the day will come and go as it did leading up to Y2K.....and we'll get through it, wondering, "why did I put stock in a 5000 yr.-old Mayan calendar scenario? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back