What are your thoughts of the 2012 scenario

Some believe that 2012 is not an ELE but is a change in the current Age. We are moving from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius and the change of ages will bring a new level of awareness to the human race.

I think the Mayans ran out of space on there tablet...

well the age of aquarius and the diefinate level of awareness (drug induced) worked in the 60's and 70's. why not now? probably will be a remake of Hair on the big screen.

I take it that all those who believe thhat the world will end in 2012 will be selling their homes and other possessions, leaving their jobs and spending the remaining three years or so having a great time blowing all their cash on wine, women and the rest? :rolleyes:

Well, assuming that sort of mindless behavior from others might yeild a little insight into one's own depth.

But actually, you cruise the 2012 websites and culture (which we do...and it's pretty damned weird) what you're mostly seeing is a sort of "prepare yourself spiritually for the coming change in consciousness" kind of thing.

And a COUPLE of the usual survivalist things...possibly the dumbest... ("Time is going to end and the world will cease to exist so move inland, stock up on food and get a lot of guns")

Another example of quickie takes on a possible scenario that are funnelled into the person's pre-existing concepts.

Actually, that's not irony. It's sarcasm. More or less.

And as with any belief system, acceptance or rejection can involve equal levels of mindlessness.

And as with any belief system, acceptance or rejection can involve equal levels of mindlessness.

That depends very much on the belief. To reject a belief which is massively supported by objective, testable evidence (e.g. evolution) is indeed mindless. To reject one which is totally unsupported by such evidence (e.g. creationism) is not.

The "2012 scenario" comes into the latter category...

Or so you believe.

Indeed I do. Perhaps you could provide the "objective, testable evidence" which would prove me wrong?

I did look into this earlier this year and I believe posted my conclusions back in the dim history of this long thread, but they seem to need repeating:

I have only recently stumbled across the Mayan 2012 cataclysm belief, which I gather is very popular in some quarters. For those as yet unexposed to this wonder, it concerns the fact that the Mayan "long count" calendar (they were fond of grouping years into various different cycles) comes to an end on 21 December 2012, when some terrible event is predicted to happen. It is also claimed by one Terence McKenna, who invented something called "Timewave Zero" which "purports to calculate the ebb and flow of novelty in the universe as an inherent quality of time", that "the novelty [is] progressing towards the infinity on 21st December 2012". Wow! With modern mathematical theory backing up ancient Mayan beliefs, there must really be something in this, right?

Just a couple of problems with this: the Mayans did not predict catastrophe at the end of the long count – in fact, they had celebrations at the end of their year cycles to welcome in the next cycle, just as we did at the end of the Millennium. The predictions of doom were the recent invention of a New Age theorist, José Argüelles, whose ideas have been dismissed by all professional Mayan scholars. As for McKenna, it turns out that no serious mathematician has accepted his ideas: they are just numerology (which is in the same category of scientific validity as astrology). Even more damning, McKenna (an advocate of "magic mushrooms" as the key to understanding), deliberately changed his initial calculations to match up his critical date with the end of the Mayan long count, so it is hardly surprising that they are the same.

I must once more recommend, to anyone who might be tempted to believe such nonsense, Gilovich's book 'How We Know What Isn't So', (reviewed on my blog). It really should be essential reading. You might also pay a visit to the UK-Skeptics forum where all manner of irrational beliefs are viewed with a critical eye. As one contributor pointed out in a discussion on 2012, we needn't worry about it even if you believe such catastrophe theories because we're not going to last that long. The end of the world is supposed to happen in 2010 according to the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, or 31st December 2011 (if we fail to rid ourselves of all evil) according to Solara Antara Amaa-ra, leader of the "11:11 Doorway Movement". The fact that countless "end of the world" predictions have come and gone doesn't seem to discourage such fantasists. I suppose it could be regarded as the triumph of pessimism over experience!

Ah, quote a bunch of crackpots, thus proving your premise. Great logic.

This reminds of the American Nazi, George Lincoln Rockwell, who wrote false holocaust articles for pulp mags, then used them as proof that holocaust stories are all false.

Google "logic, fallacies".

Ah, quote a bunch of crackpots, thus proving your premise. Great logic.
Yep, a "bunch of crackpots" does seem to sum up those who believe that something terrible is going to happen in 2012.

What do you think is the significance of the date, apart from happening to be the end of this particular Mayan "long count" calendar?

Now see this is exactly why you need to colonize other planets. That way, no matter which side of this debate is right...some of you will survive................of course on second thought..........................................................................................

If the sun explodes any colonies in the solar system will go too. If there is a genetic fallacy in the human genome..it will still countown to zero so I suppose you may be screwed either way. Hmmmm
I'm glad my race worked this out eons ago!:P

Yep, a "bunch of crackpots" does seem to sum up those who believe that something terrible is going to happen in 2012.
"Seem to" "sum up" in other words, selected projections to justify your world view.

None of the people you quote, let us point out, predict anything "terrible" happening. Again, your own projection.

What do you think is the significance of the date, apart from happening to be the end of this particular Mayan "long count" calendar?

LOL
So what do you think is the significance of Christmas, apart from happening to be the 25th day of the last month of the year.

None of the people you quote, let us point out, predict anything "terrible" happening. Again, your own projection.

Wiki has it otherwise:

Three figures within the New Age, the artist and theorist José Argüelles, John Major Jenkins, Daniel Pinchbeck and the late ethnobotanist and psychonaut Terence McKenna, have publicized theories concerning the significance of the end of the cycle. (They arrived at their conclusions separately from one another). They have jointly inspired a number of articles and books that this will be the end of this creation, the next pole shift or, as McKenna speculated in his theories, the end of history and events as "novel" as the origin of life on Earth, which we could not possibly imagine. The date is supposed to mark the return of the Mexican god Quetzalcoatl. His name is a compound of the Nahuatl words for plumage (quetzalli) and snake (coatl). The symbolism of this name implies that the catastrophe could be a unification of opposites, the merging of flight and slithering, dark and light, life and death, suggesting that 2012 could be more of a paradigm shift than a physical cataclysm. Jenkins has focused on the occurrence of a Galactic Alignment in the "era of 2012". Other, more mundane speculations involve a worldwide catastrophe, such as a pole shift.

So what do you think is the significance of Christmas, apart from happening to be the 25th day of the last month of the year.

As far as I'm concerned, it is a day artificially selected by the early Christian church to mark the supposed birthday of a religious figure, but was in fact chosen to co-opt the pagan Yuletide festivals which always went on during the darkest period of the year.

You haven't answered my question about what 21 December 2012 means to you.

None of the bold items you specify there are necessarily "terrible" events.
The only two that are "terrible" (maybe) are your interpretation of the Quezecoatl thing (which actually has NOTHING to do with the end of the calendar, FYI) and "more mundane speculations".

By the way... it might be good to know the actual meaning of the word "catastrophic". Doesn't mean "terrible" when applied to things like math and change.

You just don't get it, do you? You're projecting a Hollywood disaster movie mentality onto eveybody else, then saying they're stupid and only you truly know. You are one of those mundane speculators, basically.

It's must amazing that you've elected to crank up your entire ham-handed grumbling on this AGAIN, repeating your whole narrow-guage stuffiness without even realizing how much of it is due to your own lack of perspective and sense of humor.

And you obviously need to watch a lot more Christmas movies. Start with the Shirley Temple ones.

it will totally give me goosebumps for what i am going to witness on that film...

what if it is true?
what am i going to do?

hi there, I'm Tracy Jane.. a movie and Tv Series lover... as a marketer, it is part of my dailiiy routine to dwell on daily stress, but fortunately, i have m defense against it...and that is watching spectacular movie and fantastic Tv series

Back