What are your thoughts of the 2012 scenario.

00smita

Cadet
Just would like to see what everyone thinks of this.. I cant say if it will happen or not or even if i believe that it will or not. I am kind of at a stand still here. I have read so much about it and watched so many shows that my brain is still processing it all.

A calendar, that may or may not have been imposed over our current calendar, may be about to run out and a fresh calendar is needed for those (dead) to count their days on.

Meanwhile, the Earth shakes, tsunami's pile into Asia, the value of human life across the Middle East and North Africa is low as the fight for Earth's precious resources heats up, and Let Loose are getting back together (screeETCH!)

My point of view concerning this and other theories like the Nostrodamus one concerning end of the world prophecies is, it could happen.
If it does happen we'll all know about it. If it doesn't then those of us who truly believe in it can give a sigh of relief.
Just one piece of advice for anyone who believe in this stuff, don't ask for any astronomical loans from banks or mobsters just because you think the world will end and no one will collect, if you do you'll end up in bullstuff. :D

I disagree - bullstuff is real and even useful, as a fertiliser....:P

Agreed!

I will say

"I tend to agree with the scientists"

Doomsayers have been in existence since time began. Believe it or not there are actually people that truly believe the world will end on that fateful day in 2012.
Look at 1999...

In 2013 we will have a new doomsday scenario to hype.

Geologically speaking, our planet goes thru periods of high activity as the plates settle and the core cools. Our planet is a living changing world that evolves on its own agenda. I forsee the New Madrid fault cracking open and tearing the North American plate in two. Great cities will fall and mountains will rise. Volcanoes will erupt and life will be hard pressed to survive. This will happen in September of 2015 as predicted by the lost tribe of Pygmies in Borneo. The sacred spear points to the celestial marker that reveals all

LOL

This is an extract from what I posted on my blog about it, a couple of years ago:

I have only recently stumbled across the Mayan 2012 cataclysm belief, which I gather is very popular in some quarters. For those as yet unexposed to this wonder, it concerns the fact that the Mayan "long count" calendar (they were fond of grouping years into various different cycles) comes to an end on 21 December 2012, when some terrible event is predicted to happen. It is also claimed by one Terence McKenna, who invented something called "Timewave Zero" which "purports to calculate the ebb and flow of novelty in the universe as an inherent quality of time", that "the novelty [is] progressing towards the infinity on 21st December 2012". (see THIS item). Wow! With modern mathematical theory backing up ancient Mayan beliefs, there must really be something in this, right?

Just a couple of problems with this: the Mayans did not predict catastrophe at the end of the long count – in fact, they had celebrations at the end of their year cycles to welcome in the next cycle, just as we did at the end of the Millennium. The predictions of doom were the recent invention of a New Age theorist, José Argüelles, whose ideas have been dismissed by all professional Mayan scholars. As for McKenna, it turns out that no serious mathematician has accepted his ideas: they are just numerology (which is in the same category of scientific validity as astrology). Even more damning, McKenna (an advocate of "magic mushrooms" as the key to understanding), deliberately changed his initial calculations to match up his critical date with the end of the Mayan long count, so it is hardly surprising that they are the same.

As one contributor pointed out in a discussion on 2012, we needn't worry about it even if you believe such catastrophe theories because we're not going to last that long. The end of the world is supposed to happen in 2010 according to the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, or 31st December 2011 (if we fail to rid ourselves of all evil) according to Solara Antara Amaa-ra, leader of the "11:11 Doorway Movement". The fact that countless "end of the world" predictions have come and gone doesn't seem to discourage such fantasists. I suppose it could be regarded as the triumph of pessimism over experience!

Well, the Golden Dawners must be the most recent bunch of believers to be disappointed!

There's a book out which I must buy as it's getting excellent reviews: "Paranormality: Why We See What Isn't There" by Richard Wiseman.

As I google "Countdown Clock 2012" here in the UK, the results are a mix of disaster, celebration, and the London Olympics!

But seriously now, when my son was only 11 years old he came across much of this disaster and conspiracy stuff on the web and it started to chew away at his mind so much I had to have long talks with him, trying to push him into the thought that it was merely a calendar cycle, and that another cycle would then begin, much like we have 365.25 days in a year, and 1000 years in a millenium. The conspiracy nuts are causing emotional distress in the young and vulnerable and they need to clamp down on their postings online.

As I google "Countdown Clock 2012" here in the UK, the results are a mix of disaster, celebration, and the London Olympics!

But seriously now, when my son was only 11 years old he came across much of this disaster and conspiracy stuff on the web and it started to chew away at his mind so much I had to have long talks with him, trying to push him into the thought that it was merely a calendar cycle, and that another cycle would then begin, much like we have 365.25 days in a year, and 1000 years in a millenium. The conspiracy nuts are causing emotional distress in the young and vulnerable and they need to clamp down on their postings online.

I understand what you mean about the conspiracy nuts causing emotional distress in the young and vunerable but I don't agree that they need to clamp down on their online postings because it will always exist online, on the tv, in the newspapers or even in the street and the topics are so varied that it is almost impossible to know which ine could be right.

The young like everyone else have to learn that not everything that is predicted will happen, look at the weather, everyday a prediction is made, how often do they get it wrong. I'm sure when my daughter is 11 years old I'll have a similar conversation with her on a similar topic but I will point out that just because some people say that this or that will happen doesn't it will.

I have no problem with the conspiracy nuts posting their apocalyptic prophecies online, sometimes they can actually be a good laugh. It always depends on the way you look at it.

Opinions are the lifeblood of the interwebs. Communities like ours is a soapbox for shouting our opinions on-high. If I wish to voice my opinion I must also allow others to voice theirs. Doesn't mean I must agree or heed. Long ago I stopped trying to control the internet. It is up to me to consider the source and look at the facts.

The 2012 Doomsday scenario is just that - a scenario that has been subjected to opinion and elaborated on. Anyone with even basic observational skill can look at the conditions at any given time and forecast an apocalypse. If you gain focus of the correct media it will become viral.

Exit Mundi explores End-Of-The-World Scenarios and even they acknowledge that it is just for fun. Its a fun read but completely fiction. While those scenarios Could Happen they are Unlikely To Happen.

Edgar Cayce was touted as a true "sleeping prophet," the "father of holistic medicine," and the most documented psychic of the 20th century. Even his predictions are open for interpretation.

The Bible, The Koran and Nostradamus are equally open for interpretation. People will see what the want and expound on it. It is easy to apply events after-the-fact to predictions. I'm sure there will be events that lead people to believe 2012 is the end of the world. For some people (Japanese) the end of the world is starting a bit early. Its all relative to your own personal experiences.

On a final note: Do you really believe the ancients were aware of the World? Don't you think their 'World' was what they could explore. Sure they knew about stars but were they aware what they lived upon was a planet? Were they aware of how massive this planet is? Or how small this planet is in comparison to other celestial bodies? Did they know this world was 4.5 BILLION years old or that geological forces occur at frequencies? The limited thinking that is proven by the limits of their calendar expounds on the fact that they had no clue to what time frames they were dealing with.

World = Planet - celestial body - planet Earth

World = Cultural Environment - Society

Their world ends at the end of their calendar. To let you in on a secret, Their 'World' ended much sooner than they predicted. There is no way they could have predicted our current 'World' and any attempt to make associations is pure fantasy.

LOL, that was fun!

The whole "for fun" thing does lead to a discussion on self policing I guess. It's all down to the 'mens rea' here. If people are getting their jollies leading people astray and subsequently getting distressed, then that particular sort of posting ought to come with disclamers: "Imagine if...." Rather than misleading people into thinking things are real.

Although, if you look at the history of the US airing of the TV film: Special Bulletin, in every advert break they ran a notice stating the events were fictional, yet survivalists and other people still ran for the hills!

I have never seen a fictitious account on TV that I needed a disclaimer for. Sometimes the disclaimers are an insult to my intelligence
Example
After Armageddon

What have past acts of destruction taught us about what will happen to mankind after the apocalypse? Is it inevitable that disaster will someday strike America on an unprecedented level? How has history prepared us? History’s most dramatic events–Hiroshima, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and others–are examined and analyzed with hard data gathered from their massive aftereffects. The disappearance of water and food supplies, the effects of deteriorated sanitation and health care on the remaining population, and the increased use of violence as a means of survival–all illustrate how societies have responded and survived.

After Armageddon

They actually felt the need to provide a disclaimer at every break.

On the 40th anniversary of Hiroshima, I was woken in bed whilst living in a Marxist country, hearing the tv showing Threads. A military deployment scene confused me in my sleepy state and it was some minutes until i realised it was a drama. Considering where I was living the A Team was shown after 2200hrs because it was deemed violent and adult programming, we can see how I was momentarily confused into believing WWIII had started, during the Cold War back then.

The fact I realised it was only drama after a few minutes in my sleepy state at least shows I'm unlikely to run for the hills if something similar happens :smiley:

Shocking Conspiracy News!!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...xpert-sent-to-probe-olympic-clocks-failure.do

Dear readers, this proves the point exactly that on this planet, our wonderful yet vindictive mother earth, only one clock is allowed to countdown to 2012 and that's the Clock of Doom! [/sarcasm]

The world has been coming to an end since the 1800's

One thing about 2012 that makes it so special thought, at least in my mind, is that several sources that have nothing to do with each other point to the same time, I say time not date, cuz as far as I know only the Mayan calender points to a specific date.

Other sources point to a "window" of time that started last year and ends after 2012.

I think life will go on as it is, sure there are a lot of changes and if we think in terms of geological time, (long time periods) then everything is going to hell, you can parallel the Bible's apocalypse to these times, yet we are here.

And moreover life is pretty much the same as it has always been, government still screwing everything up, pointless wars are still being fought, and 3rd world countries are still in the crapper, where people are still struggling just to feed their families.

Either way I'm ok with it, it wouldn't be such a bad idea for earth to have a colon cleanse and 5 billion people disappear, there is too many of us walking around doing dumb sh... anyway.

And moreover life is pretty much the same as it has always been, government still screwing everything up, pointless wars are still being fought, and 3rd world countries are still in the crapper, where people are still struggling just to feed their families.

Either way I'm ok with it, it wouldn't be such a bad idea for earth to have a colon cleanse and 5 billion people disappear, there is too many of us walking around doing dumb sh... anyway.

Ouch! what a negative point of view, I understand that it would relieve the populational pressure on the Earth but honestly do you think the best way to go about it is to have a cataclysm. I can imagine that thing will be alot worst for the whole world population after a cataclysm and not better at all.

ranks right out there with -global warming-the hockey stick-barry's birth certificate-also I have a used TARDIS for sale,genuine low hours,a real bargain.Finance available to approved Space Cadets only

ranks right out there with -global warming-the hockey stick-

:rolleyes: there's a vast quantity of scientific evidence in support of the theory that the Earth is warming up, and that human activities have contributed (and continue to contribute) in a big way to that. There's no evidence at all for the 2012 silliness.

The earth goes thru natural periods of cold and warm. We are still coming out of the latest ice age and therefore the earth is warming. Granted carbon emissions of humans is contributing but warming will happen no matter what we do. I imagine in a few tens of thousand or hundred thousand years we will return to ice age and the earth will be cooling again. Perhaps humans will be blamed for contributing to that from their cold hearts or something.

Back