What do you call this?

Azhria Lilu

Captain
What do you call this in your part of the world?
View attachment 24650

Back home on the Wirral, I'd have called it a batch. When I moved to London, I started referring to them as Rolls.

What do you call them?

Attachments

• roll.png
    roll.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 94
So a cheeseburger roll would still be called bread? :... language is such a funny thing.
Allow me to rephrase... As long as it's bread (and only bread) it's a loaf of bread (translated). But we still use words like buns, rolls etc... Just that when it's bread (regardless of whether it's a rectangle shaped bread, circular or square shaped) it's a loaf of bread...

^Does it make any kind of sense?

Allow me to rephrase... As long as it's bread (and only bread) it's a loaf of bread (translated). But we still use words like buns, rolls etc... Just that when it's bread (regardless of whether it's a rectangle shaped bread, circular or square shaped) it's a loaf of bread...

^Does it make any kind of sense?
So that brings us back to the question - what would you call that particular one (it's a roll that you'd use for burgers). would you refer to it as a roll, a bun, a bap, a batch :D

In Coventry we would call it a batch too. A real conversation:
Me: "I'd like a cheese and onion batch please"
Snobbish woman in sandwich shop: "Do you mean a roll?"
Me: "If when you say roll you mean batch then yes I mean a roll."

In Coventry we would call it a batch too. A real conversation:
Me: "I'd like a cheese and onion batch please"
Snobbish woman in sandwich shop: "Do you mean a roll?"
Me: "If when you say roll you mean batch then yes I mean a roll."
That's pretty much what happened to me when I moved from the Wirral (Cheshire) to London. I referred to them as batches and got blank looks until I picked one up and then got "ohhh that's a roll!"

Back