What does $456 billion buy?

Tyrson

Cadet
I apologize in advance if this post hints at political bias; it's merely meant to put things in a different perspective.

Reading the Boston Globe's online newspaper today, I came across this photo gallery:

What does $456 billion buy?

#9 struck me as particularly interesting.

Again, I'm not posting this to point out fallacies of the decision to go to war or anything like that. But it does make you wonder what funding of this magnitude could do if put down a different channel.

Being the traveler I am, I liked the conversion to Ethanol one. I wonder if it would be able to stand up against how far I drive..

The world hunger and education one makes you wonder why no one's been willing to go into debt gaining the publicity that would bring yet.

*sigh* I'd also point out that this total doesn't include the vast amounts of other military expenditures we have. Like the missile defense system that we are working on which will likely add 10-20 billion to our defense spending each year for decades.

A comment on that little program:
"A recent Pentagon briefing claims the threat from enemy missiles is growing and shows missiles in 20 countries. But all but two of those 20 countries - Iran and North Korea - are either friends, allies, or countries from which we have no missile threat, e.g. Israel, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, South Korea, Moldova, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc.

Moldova??? Yes, Moldova.

And, with the exception of Russia and China, none of those 20 countries - including Iran and North Korea - have missiles that can reach the United States anyway."
link

I don't dispute the need for a military. I'm not a pacifist. However, I do see vast quantities of money being poured into military applications when it could be used to better relations and lives, thereby preventing military conflict.
Things like resource wars. Natural resources have always been a primary cause of human conflict and this will only be escalating in the future as water, oil, gas, land, metals, food, and other natural resources continue to dwindle. How many future wars could we prevent by pouring money into agricultural, power, reclaimation, environmental, and other research?

If not for the war those funds would go back into the pool for politicians to fight over to feed their constituents like normal and we would have no such noble thoughts as potrayed on the site.

Those funds were there before the war. Suddenly the war is a reason to call it's potential beneficent use into question?

Those funds were there before the war.

That's a bit of an incorrect assessment. First off, our deficit is rising rapidly. That means we are spending more money than before. Whether you love, hate, or were indifferent towards the Clinton administration, you can't deny that we were on a starter path to eliminating the deficit. Now we have done a 180 degree turn-around on that issue.

In addition, many other programs have been cut to provide the money for the war. These include environmental, social, educational, and health programs. Was the money being allocated in the best way? Almost certainly not. It's not like it was just sitting around collecting dust before we just picked it up and put it into the war either.

Most countries are honestly in debt. I believe the only one not in debt to the World Bank is Venezuela, but I may be wrong.

I said deficit, not debt. Debt indicates owing others. Deficit indicates that the debt is getting worse.

Was the money being allocated in the best way? Almost certainly not. It's not like it was just sitting around collecting dust before we just picked it up and put it into the war either.

And that's exactly what was indirectly stated. Same airpot; different runway.

It was there and simply not being allocated towards more noble ends as the site suggest. Just as it always is.

Well I need to emphasize the point that the site did not suggest that the funds were going to a noble end already, just a hypothetical "what if" question. I mean, to put a realist's spin on #9, if we (or any entity) invested $456 billion to world literacy, education, and sustenance, I'd guarantee that 90-95% (or more) would be lost in fees, legalities, and rampant corruption before any of it landed in the hands of those who need it. Plus, many of the photos/captions don't necessarily take into effect the time needed to invest in some of those projects.

Still, even in today's society, a half trillion dollars spent in any one department/project is an insane amount of money, and is a kidney punch to any country's economy if so little of it is actually coming back into it. That can't be denied, even if there's a perception that the gallery was merely some "visual liberal spin."

I could give two bowls of fish felgercarb about the money spent and what other good it could do.
Fact is the worse loss of this war or any war is life. Two things I personally value over cash, time and life. Both just was wontonly wasted.

Personally, I dont get worked up over things like this. I guess thats a small bit of my teenage immaturity showing, but I really -do not- care about politics that much. Not because it doesn't always directly effect me, but rather because logic. Chaos. We're all spiraling downward to an untimely end whether tree humping hippies accept it or not. And if our President gives us a few laughs along the way? Well, hot damn. Get that man a cookie.

On top of all this... So long as we've got West Virginia, and country roads, all is right with in the world.

:D

Almost heaven, west virginia
Blue ridge mountains
Shenandoah river -
Life is old there
Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains
Growin like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gathered round her
Miners lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine
Teardrops in my eye

To the place I belong

I hear her voice
In the mornin hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin down the road I get a feelin
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

To the place I belong

To the place I belong
Take me home, now country roads
Take me home, now country roads

La La La!! La La La!! Hey! =D=

I could give two bowls of fish felgercarb about the money spent and what other good it could do.
Fact is the worse loss of this war or any war is life. Two things I personally value over cash, time and life. Both just was wontonly wasted.

QFT
Though I would just add that money, properly applied, has the ability to save both time and life in many cases. One such case is point 9, giving people health care and reducing poverty. Costs are always two fold- the cost of doing something and the cost of not doing something else. This money is being put into a war in which people die and is not going to another cause which might aid life.

edit: Oh, and WM? There is a book called Blue Ridge 2020. It's about the smog and expansionistic building plaguing the Blue Ridge mountains. Money can do something about that too.

Personally, I dont get worked up over things like this. I guess thats a small bit of my teenage immaturity showing, but I really -do not- care about politics that much. Not because it doesn't always directly effect me, but rather because logic. Chaos. We're all spiraling downward to an untimely end whether tree humping hippies accept it or not. And if our President gives us a few laughs along the way? Well, hot damn. Get that man a cookie.

It's not really about US, but about the future. What happens today can effect the world offspring will live in. It may not have any immediate effects on us, but it will certainly change their lives.

And about the other costs of war..Well, this thread was stated to not really being about ending the war or not, just interesting to know what the money being spent on it could buy if it weren't already in use.

Imagine if the time and effort was used to promote humanity's onward advancement? You can't really put a price on expertise and care.

My HMO can. The IRS does. Actually, I guess we're all just choices on a Value Menu to someone above us on the food chain. Ahh well, I'm a tax payer and I like at least adding my voice to what I'd like to see my taxes spent on.

The world hunger and education one makes you wonder why no one's been willing to go into debt gaining the publicity that would bring yet.

As long there is economic interest in keeping big parts of the world poor, it will probably not happen.

Interesting post! =D=

So if those funds weren't allocated as such we would have "boots on the ground" with no ammo, boots, guns, flac jackets, binoculors, MRE's, tanks, planes, missles, etc.

Wonder if that website thought of them?

So if those funds weren't allocated as such we would have "boots on the ground" with no ammo, boots, guns, flac jackets, binoculors, MRE's, tanks, planes, missles, etc.

Wonder if that website thought of them?

Dude, do you have any idea how many chocolate éclairs you could buy with $456 billion?! Screw the troops, get me my baked goods! :P

Back