What genre do you write?

Fyre

Cadet
My latest work 'Silvery Whispers' has been accepted and is due to be released next month.
What genre of writing do you tend to stick to?
I tend to write fantasy/fiction with a twist of Sci-Fi.
Does anyone like to write the kind of genre they read?

Erm, excuse me Darth Vader?
The whole point of this thread was to ask the genre, not to apply for free manuscripts of my book. However, if we do meet of friendly terms, I'm sure I could arrange something.

Do you like to write DV? Or are you the reading type? :smiley:

Actually, I read more mystery and suspense than anything, but write SF, with a heavy concentration of Space Opera-ish tales.

I write Star Wars fanfiction, with plenty of sex in it. But I am endeavoring to be more original, with the help of my editing job in the erotic romance biz. For National NovelWriting Month in November I pounded out most of a paranormal romance reminscent of the Velveteen Rabbit and Tolkien's Roverrandom, crosspollinated with heavy metal. My buddy Hal Spacejock got done with his, and so did AuburnImp and Michael Barnette, but moi? I got sick. :(

It was lots of fun trying, though. Piers Anthony gave us a pep talk.:smiley:

as to reading i mostly read SF, Hard SF like Niven and more accesible stuff like Aldiss, M. John Harrison. I like a lot of the stuff from the 60s and 70s. especially Cordwainer Smith, Ursula LeGuin and Dick.
its wierd that I write mostly Horror though. my only published peice is zombie fiction. A lot of people scoff at zombie but i think its a burgeoning genre. While vampires are enjoying a 'craze, I think zombies are enjoying a renaissance.
i do write SF, but I feel I get to caught up in conveying interesting concepts and the story and characters suffer for it. Like in Slaughterhouse Five when they say that Kilgore trout has amazing ideas but is a horrible writer. That pretty much sums up my SF writing. lately Im working on a novella that is shaping up well, so who knows. I want to write SF. More than i like writing horror.

I write the Space Opera variety of Science Fiction (since a few folks want to be purists). I'd rather concentrate on the characters and let the science just be the backdrop. Even we Opera folks have to get speculative to a point, so we are still solidly in the SF camp in my humble opinion.

Oh, this is my first post, so a quick introduction.

Along with ol' Aston, (by all means, blame him for me finding this forum), I write for an Indie called "Champagne Books". We're the SF vanguard for what formally was mostly a Romance outfit, and we're doing a great job teaching the Religion to the Bodice Ripper set (grin). Aston's novella has been up at the top of the publisher best seller list for months, and I managed an EPPIE nomination this year for "Blade Dancer". My next novel, "Waiting Weapon", should be showing up at Fictionwise this month and in trade paperback late February.

Oh, and you can meet the both of us if you happen to be in the Dallas Texas area around Feb 22nd - we'll be at the DFW Con.

Kerry

hi fyre. i write the same as you. though i have never been accepted yet and writing is a slow process for me. i tend to pour a lot of thought in it, maybe too much at times.

to be honest, i get stuck alot when writing, sometimes have trouble putting into words what is in my head. you can check out my blog here that is where i put thoughts.

am always looking for new thoughts.

My latest work 'Silvery Whispers' has been accepted and is due to be released next month.
What genre of writing do you tend to stick to?
I tend to write fantasy/fiction with a twist of Sci-Fi.
Does anyone like to write the kind of genre they read?
Fyre, congratulations! Is there a link available yet to the publishers site for the title so we can check it out? :smiley:

... Oh, this is my first post, so a quick introduction. ...
Kerry, welcome! Any links available we can check out? :smiley:

Oh, and you can meet the both of us if you happen to be in the Dallas Texas area around Feb 22nd - we'll be at the DFW Con.
Texas is a bit far out of my area unfortunately. If you guys make it to the Philly region, though, you can be sure I'll be there.

I write Star Wars fanfiction, with plenty of sex in it.
HHhmm... I wonder if it is time for there to be non-public area for adult fanfics. I know what I'll be looking into this weekend.

I generally write poetry; it's generally not sci-fi related. I've had an idea for a novella length fiction piece about zombies for a long time. I'm hesitant about really working on it because it seems like the zombie fad may have already crested.

Fyre, congratulations! Is there a link available yet to the publishers site for the title so we can check it out? :smiley:

Kerry, welcome! Any links available we can check out? :smiley:

Texas is a bit far out of my area unfortunately. If you guys make it to the Philly region, though, you can be sure I'll be there.

HHhmm... I wonder if it is time for there to be non-public area for adult fanfics. I know what I'll be looking into this weekend.

I keep most of my fanfics at Livejournal at helgaleena-slash but I also have them archived a number of places. The big links list is at Myspace at helgaleena on Myspace ---

I have a special place for the hundred stories I wrote about Quinlan Vos. :P They are at the Vos 100

How about just a place to put adult fanfic LINKS? or links to all fanfics but with ratings?

i've recently been attempting to write for comics.
Full script, that is. also called DC style. As opposed to Marvel style, which involves the artist more at the writng stage.
really its a lot like screenwriting, what with camera angles and such. Full script can be insanely meticulous, though. Some writers describe everything, down to the minute positioning and facial expressions of their characters, while others leave a good deal more to the artist.
I love sketching too. sadly, i dont have the longevity or talent to pencil comics. i like to do conceptual sketches of characters i come up with but thats about it. im not so good with depth and action.
recently i got on penciljack forums, a forum for comics artists and writers. the process of looking for a penciller is a pain. anyway, its writing experience, doing different stuff.

Back