What happened to Irina

[quote name='Irina's Ho' date='Dec 15 2004, 07:16 PM']Lena has stated repeatedly in many interviews that the travelling and separation was difficult.[/quote]
I keep hearing this, but she does accept movie roles, which do require the same kind of travel requirements and more substantial time requirement than a guest appearance on a TV show. We are no longer talking about the rigors of a cast assignment.

Too often we the general public feel like actors owe us something. They don't. It's their job. She did what she was hired to do. If the monkey mucked up the negotiations, too bad.
[post="1113296"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Actually, I understand that they offered everything that was asked and they were turned down. Ms Olin says she didn't care to reprise the role and I'm willing to accept that. I don't consider that she owes us anything because her contract did not require it; that said, if I were an actress and I signed on to a continuing role in a series, I would do so with great care, considering that the character would have a potentially long life. I don't think that Ms Olin necessarily has to feel a responisbility to this situation, but if I were in that same situation, I would. I would have to (at the very least) offer the crew an opportunity to write the character out gracefully. Am I disappointed in Ms Olin? Sure. However, I will defend her decision. It was hers to make. I refuse to agree that I am "trashing" her. No doubt, however, her most ardent fans will disagree, and I can live with that.

verdantheart said:
I keep hearing this, but she does accept movie roles, which do require the same kind of travel requirements and more substantial time requirement than a guest appearance on a TV show. We are no longer talking about the rigors of a cast assignment.
It actually does not require the same travel requirements. There's a difference between flying in on one day, working for a couple of days and flying back out again to spend some time with your family before doing this all over again the next week and setting down in one place for a few months to shoot a movie. (This is something she's mentioned in this article, which also features her comparing working on Alias favorably to working with Ingmar Bergman.)

verdantheart said:
Actually, I understand that they offered everything that was asked and they were turned down. Ms Olin says she didn't care to reprise the role and I'm willing to accept that. I don't consider that she owes us anything because her contract did not require it; that said, if I were an actress and I signed on to a continuing role in a series, I would do so with great care, considering that the character would have a potentially long life. I don't think that Ms Olin necessarily has to feel a responisbility to this situation, but if I were in that same situation, I would. I would have to (at the very least) offer the crew an opportunity to write the character out gracefully. Am I disappointed in Ms Olin? Sure. However, I will defend her decision. It was hers to make. I refuse to agree that I am "trashing" her. No doubt, however, her most ardent fans will disagree, and I can live with that.
[post="1115857"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I understand what you mean and completely agree. I think that if I were in that situation I would feel obligated to the fans. And while it is just a job, it is a job that I choose to take. I don't hold anything against Lena and respect her decisions, whatever they may be. But I am still let down.

It's a job she took for 16 episodes. She did all 16 and finished out her contract. If she agreed to do 16 episodes and only did 5 of them, then I might feel disappointed in her and cheated, but that's not the case here. Despite the chaotic scheduling and bone breaking hard work, she fulfilled her contract. For all her trouble, she ends up vilified by others. I can't imagine why she would come back for more.

Peabody said:
It actually does not require the same travel requirements.  There's a difference between flying in on one day, working for a couple of days and flying back out again to spend some time with your family before doing this all over again the next week and setting down in one place for a few months to shoot a movie.  (This is something she's mentioned in this article, which also features her comparing working on Alias favorably to working with Ingmar Bergman.)
[post="1116087"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
A one-week guest spot is a substantially smaller commitment than a movie. This is what I was talking about and I'm not sure what you're arguing . . . why would she have to turn around and come back once her guest spot was complete? We're not talking about the rigors of a continuing role; that was over with. We're simply discussing any hardship pleasing her fans by returning for one episode to help wrap up the Irina Derevko storyline. ;)

We're not talking about the rigors of a continuing role; that was over with. We're simply discussing any hardship pleasing her fans by returning for one episode to help wrap up the Irina Derevko storyline.
I would imagine because she's choosing not to put the needs of her fans above those of her family. Could she come back and do a guest spot? Sure. Has she ruled out doing this? No, not really. She's said in interviews that she's conflicted about not coming back and says it's not impossible that it could happen in the future but right now is not the time.

How do we know she's been asked back for 1 episode?

:Ph34r:

It's pretty easy to say yeah that would be easy. But we don't know what they were negotiating for.

Nor do we have any idea of her schedule.

*shrug*

Again...so easy to sit back and judge.

I'm with you Peabody...Lena always seems conflicted when speaking of Alias. For me the issue isn't over utnil the series dies. ^_^

I have read many articles about Lena's decision, and just now, I read what everyone had to say.

I don't know where I stand, exactly...I don't want to trash her, not at all, because she is an amazing actress. I only wish that when she took this role, she considered that it may be long term. Or perhaps she did consider that, I don't know.

I wish that she would come back, just for a few appearances...maybe one to show that she died, maybe a couple just to make the storyline less complicated...but I do understand that she doesn't want to.

I do want to commend the writers for making do how they could...they didn't take Irina completely out of the storyline, and they did the best they could.

*sigh* i do wish that she would come back...:(

Word to that!!

Although i LURVE Lena Olin dearly, and respect her as an actress and a person, i do believe that an actress has a certain responsibility to her fans. I understand that she had a contract, and respect that that contract is now over, but if it were me, i would feel a responsibility to my fans to maybe just come back for a couple of episodes to give my character and my fans a sort of closure, especially considering how the character of Irina came to a rather abrupt halt, and there are still so many questions left unanswered.

Good GOD that was a long sentence. I apologize for the lack of full stops dudes.

Back