What have you seen recently?

Just watched The Expendables... oh, my goodness. I knew this did well at the box office but if this movie had been released in 80's I think it might have brought in more money than Titanic! :ROFLMAO:

The summary of the movie could be best summed up as action, action, catch phrases, action, action, cameos, action, action, action, guys bonding, action. In other words, most guys will watch it, most gals will think it is silly. And I'm OK with that. :D

Just watched The Woman in Black with my wife last night. It was really good. The creepy, scary factor was certainly there, all packaged together in a tightly scripted story.

the woman in black was definitely a scary movie with great acting and also solid plot, I made the mistake of watchin it by myself at 2am :/

I Saw Prometheus Last Week.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a spoiler so if you are planning to go and see it you have been warned.

I watched a TV film critic here on Ch7 TV in Australia say it was a great film and definitely wasn't an Alien prequel.

Perhaps there are two versions of this film out at the moment because the one that I saw couldn't have been anything else. It had elements of Alien, Firefly, Thunderbirds, 2001, Star Wars and the first X Files movie. It looked as though elements from all of these different films were scrawled on peices of paper and then drawn out of a hat, assembled into some sort of logical order and then shot.

There are quite a few scenarios that are very similar to what we saw in the original Alien, and most of them are telegraphed.

Sadly I won't be rushing out to buy the DVD.

That said Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron are very easy on the eye, especially when scantily clad. There is a fair amount of action even if you can easily predict where it's going, so if your're really bored go and spend some money.

Re: I Saw Prometheus Last Week.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a spoiler so if you are planning to go and see it you have been warned.

I watched a TV film critic here on Ch7 TV in Australia say it was a great film and definitely wasn't an Alien prequel.

Perhaps there are two versions of this film out at the moment because the one that I saw couldn't have been anything else. It had elements of Alien, Firefly, Thunderbirds, 2001, Star Wars and the first X Files movie. It looked as though elements from all of these different films were scrawled on peices of paper and then drawn out of a hat, assembled into some sort of logical order and then shot.

There are quite a few scenarios that are very similar to what we saw in the original Alien, and most of them are telegraphed.

Sadly I won't be rushing out to buy the DVD.

That said Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron are very easy on the eye, especially when scantily clad. There is a fair amount of action even if you can easily predict where it's going, so if your're really bored go and spend some money.

I'll still give it a look even if it isn't a true prequel to the Alien franchise. Thanks for the info on it!

Oh, forgot to mention, I watched the The Thing which was a prequel to the John Carpenter/Kurt Russell masterpiece from 1982. The 2011 movie did not have the same feel as Carpenter's movie, nor was it as original. The 2011 movie was ok, probably give it a C+ , whereas the 1982 movie with Russell had a real hard edge to it, probably because of Russell's excellent acting and strong supporting cast. Bottom line, 2011's The Thing was ok, but probably not entirely necessary.

Oh, forgot to mention, I watched the The Thing which was a prequel to the John Carpenter/Kurt Russell masterpiece from 1982. The 2011 movie did not have the same feel as Carpenter's movie, nor was it as original. The 2011 movie was ok, probably give it a C+ , whereas the 1982 movie with Russell had a real hard edge to it, probably because of Russell's excellent acting and strong supporting cast. Bottom line, 2011's The Thing was ok, but probably not entirely necessary.
Was it as close to being essentially a remake of Carpenter's version as the commercials made it out to be?

Was it as close to being essentially a remake of Carpenter's version as the commercials made it out to be?

Well, It came off as a prequel in my mind. (Warning: spoiler info is to follow here, for anybody interested in seeing this movie.) It basically chronicled what happened to the Norwegian scientists at their outpost, before the alien moved onto MacReady and company at their location. It even goes as far at the end of the movie to have two surviving Norwegians take flight in a helicopter to chase the alien disguised as a dog..... which is the opening scene of John Carpenter's The Thing.

th_FAQATT.jpg

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT TIME TRAVEL
Small and smart British sci-fi comedy that's worth checking out. Last I saw it was available via HBO GO.
B

th_SnowWhiteandtheHuntsman.jpg

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN
Worth seeing only for the depictions of the the haunted woods and the faerie themed forest. All of the action is incomprehensible due to shakey cam idiocy and Kristen Stewart is her usual vapid self.
C-

th_Prometheus.jpg

PROMETHEUS
Visually amazing and chock full of really cool ideas that unfortunately never get properly developed, this movie really suffers from its poor script. For every really cool, smart, or awesome thing in the movie we have another two that are just plain dumb. Ultimately disappointing, but still worth seeing.
C+

th_AbrahamLincolnVampireHunter.jpg

ABRAHAM LINCOLN - VAMPIRE HUNTER
Ridiculous in nearly every aspect but played completely straight. I had a lot of fun with this one.
B+

th_Brave.jpg

BRAVE
Beautiful and fun. Maybe it's not as good as some of Pixar's other movies, but it's definitely better than Cars.
B+

th_AmazingSpider-Man.jpg

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
Pretty good reboot of the Spider-Man franchise. The Lizard really isn't a very strong villain and his plot to turn all of Manhattan into lizard people is pretty silly, but Andrew Garfield and Emma tone as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy really are great. I'm looking forward to seeing more of these two in future Spider-Man installments.
A-

th_LettheBulletsFly.jpg

LET THE BULLETS FLY
Really fun period gangster/bandit film set in China of the 1920s. Unpredictable and fun. Recommended.
B+

th_DarkKnightRises.jpg

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
Worthy conclusion to Nolan's Batman trilogy. Aside from some unimaginatively choreographed fight scenes between Bane and Batman the action is top notch. Anne Hathaway made for an excellent Selina Kyle (she's never referred to as Catwoman) and Tom Hardy makes for a formidable villain in Lord Humongous, I mean Bane. Very satisfying overall.
A

th_BourneLegacy.jpg

THE BOURNE LEGACY
Jeremy Renner is excellent, but, again, extreme shakey cam excesses ruin every single action scene. Frustrating.
C-

th_TotalRecall.jpg

TOTAL RECALL
Excellent action set pieces but next to no story or character development so it's hard to care about the outcome of the various battles, no matter how well they're done. Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel are both super-fine.
C

th_TheWatch.jpg

THE WATCH
Funny and dumb. Not as funny as it wants to be sometimes, though.
B-

th_OddLifeofTimothyGreen.jpg

THE ODD LIFE OF TIMOTHY GREEN
Good performances from all, but you'll roll your eyes throughout.
C-

th_Expendables2.jpg

THE EXPENDABLES 2
Better than the first Expendables, this one features well shot and choreographed action from director Simon West and a string of silly and sometimes groan-inducing callbacks to action movies of yore (Schwarzenegger: "I'll be back." Willis: "You've been back enough -- Stay here; I'm going!")
B

Valhalla-Rising-poster.jpg

I saw this period warrior film twice, I loved it! I enjoyed the tension and the dramatic silence of the movie. Excellent film.

Premise: Vikings decide to join the Crusade, and have a strange voyage.

Watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter a couple of weeks ago and it was just ok. Seemed to suffer from poor editing. Also watched The Amazing Spider-Man last weekend. It was not a bad movie (although not as good as any of the Maguire/Raimi installments); my main complaint with it: do we really need another origin story for this iconic character? I don't think so. The time utilized in re-hashing the origin of Spider-Man could have been better used to enhance the plot in other ways. Maybe they could have delved more into Dr. Connors' history instead, which would have been more interesting. Finally, also watched Prometheus a while back, another movie that was just ok, not outsanding but not terrible either. Don't have much to say about it, mainly because it really didn't impact me one way or another. Hopefully, the next movie I watch will knock my socks off because these three did not.

Back