What have you seen recently?

Just watched the 1956 Godzilla, King of the Monsters with Raymond Burr. Godzilla's trademark roar is present but I had forgotten how bad the special effects were in this movie! :LOL: Between the low quality and the obvious splicing job that was done to insert Burr into the movie for the American audience it makes for a really bad b-movie.

We recently went through a zombie weekend, unfort didn't involve any of the classics:

Resident Evil - the original, back in the day gave this one a real bad review but its kind of grown on me.

Zombie Apocalypse - The Asylum strike like a half dead cat swatting at shadows.

Automation Transfusion - Complete shambles, I don't mind Indie movies but they should have some sort of talent involved.

Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies - Perhaps the best Asylum movie since that possession one, which means it's still pretty bad, to quote from my review "Not the least problematic angle was how did a 10 year old Teddy Roosevelt come to be hiding out in the basement of a Southern brothel during a zombie outbreak?"

40 Days and 40 Nights, a made for TV (is that really the correct term these days? More like 'made for streaming' or 'made for cable'.) dealing with it raining for 40 days & 40 nights and mankind building arks for the survival of the human race. If this sounds familiar, then, yes, it was a very cheap knockoff of the 2nd half of 2012.

Today I got to watch the 2011 movie Real Steel with Hugh Jackman. At its heart it is a movie about a young boy who recently lost his mother connecting with a father that he has never known over a common interest. In this case that common interest is giant robots used for boxing. It is loosely based on an old novel from the 50's by Richard Matheson.

While it is an okay enough movie there was never anything about it to catch my attention long enough to even qualify as a popcorn movie. For the most part the scenes were really predictable and the action mediocre. The reason given for robots boxing in the movie is that viewers wanted more violent action than could be done with humans and so robots were used, first small human-like models and then moving up to bigger larger-than-life models for bigger thrills. Unfortunately the description didn't live up to what is shown on the screen and the actual fights were pretty dull compared to stuff like the real-life Robot Fighting League.

The bigger issue for me was an unresolved plot point. With no uncertainty it is clearly implied that the robot that the father & son end up fighting with has a bit of an AI to it. And then... nothing. While I kept expecting the robot to act on its own in some key scene it ended up being nothing more than just a giant remote controlled machine for the rest of the movie. That was annoying.

The only good thing about the movie was that I was able to track down a song used in it. All My Days by Alexi Murdoch is a song I've come across a few times but never realized who it actually was.

I thought Real Steel was charming and enjoyed it a great deal.

Most recent movie I've seen was Pacific Rim. Pretty decent Godzilla type movie mixed with Gundam Wing. Annoyed me they handicapped the robots with two pilots.

Takes me a while to see "new" movies. My wife and I only go to the local theater only once in a while. So, most of the movies we see are from our Netflix account. Just recently, we watched Cowboys and Aliens. Not a bad movie, in fact I enjoyed it for the most part, except Harrison Ford's character. Don't get me wrong, I like Harrison Ford, however, his character seemed mostly unnecessary. Didn't like the almost constantly present scowl on his face as it seemed kind of forced.

Yeah, I think Ford has lost his edge now that he is old. He always just seems like an old grouchy bastard in every movie he's in now.

Recently saw Despicable Me 2 (we take the niece out for a movie every month). Really enjoyable. Also the first movie I've seen in 3D in quite a while (and her first time), and it was a lot better than the others I saw. Also discovered all the ways you can tell when your 3D glasses are going bad at the theatre...

Uh, oh... his character in Ender's Game won't do much to change that opinion.
Doesn't surpise me any and what a shame, he's capable of such deeper characters....or used to be. Even when he's on the late shows once in a while he's acting like a bitchy old grouch. That gets old fast especially when it's disengenuous. I've seen the same, "wookie stole my wife" bit a couple times and it's just as retarded the last time as it was the first. Just sad....

Wow! You've been busy! Impressive.

Halletsville
Night of the Living Dead 1968 remastered
Evil Dead - the original
Altered
Zombieland
Gamer
Land that Time Forgot 2009
Moon
Dark Lurking
Surrogates
Pandemic
District 9
GunHed
Colin
Braindead/DeadAlive
Saw 6
Darkness Falls
Godzilla VS Biollante
Godzilla Final Wars
Godzilla VS Megaruris
Godzilla VS Destroyer
GMK: GodzillaMotheraKingGhidora
Godzilla Tokyo SOS
Gamera1
Gamera2
Gamera3
Gamera the Brave
Last house on the left 2009
13 ghosts
Mummy3
Edges of Darkness
Its alive 2009
AvP:R
Aliens
Sea Creature: Mermaid Chronicles
Star Runners
FrostBiter
Wendigo
GingerSnaps
Ginger Snaps Back
Evilution

That was the month of October

Watched Dinner for Schmucks last night. Not too bad of a story and fairly funny in many parts of the film, however, the most important thing I took away from it is that I am not such an idiot after all! :LOL:

Back