What have you seen recently?

Just watched Trancers for the first time a few days ago via Netflix streaming. Really short movie but Tim Thomerson was great as Trooper Jack Deth!

"Dry hair is for squids!"

Finished watching Ninja Assassin.

Some really goofy B-Movie moments especially the attempts at humor. Way too much CG and fake blood but Sho Kasugi was freaking awesome and at least got a decent amount of screen time. Fun ninja movie that felt very comic-booky.

200px-Clashofthetitansremakeposter1.jpg

CLASH OF THE TITANS
This new Clash of the Titans is a throwback to, not so much the 1981 Ray Harryhausen picture it re-imagines, but to other fantasy films that came out in the '80s like Deathstalker II, Beastmaster, Sword & The Sorcerer, Conan the Destroyer, etc. It has that B-movie feel despite its obviously large budget. That is definitely the movie's saving grace as it is rather jumbled and confusing at times even to a seasoned fantasy vet like myself (The scene where King Acrisius is blasted by Zeus is confusing--I thought he was fried/burned by the bolt but he was actually transformed. And just why does he start calling himself Calibos anyway?). There's far too much shaky-cam action, the supporting characters are all much, much more interesting and entertaining than the hero, and the main villain and the Kraken itself don't get a chance to do a whole lot in the climax, but I found that there was still a sense of fun that I latched onto even while I was hoping for more or better from the movie overall. I suspect that it will play better for upon repeat viewings, much like those fantasy B-movies of the '80s do today.

Finished watching Ninja Assassin.

Some really goofy B-Movie moments especially the attempts at humor. Way too much CG and fake blood but Sho Kasugi was freaking awesome and at least got a decent amount of screen time. Fun ninja movie that felt very comic-booky.

Second that! How about Lord Ozunu (Kosugi) vs.Hattori Hanzo (Sonny Chiba)?

200px-Clashofthetitansremakeposter1.jpg

CLASH OF THE TITANS
This new Clash of the Titans is a throwback to, not so much the 1981 Ray Harryhausen picture it re-imagines, but to other fantasy films that came out in the '80s like Deathstalker II, Beastmaster, Sword & The Sorcerer, Conan the Destroyer, etc. It has that B-movie feel despite its obviously large budget. That is definitely the movie's saving grace as it is rather jumbled and confusing at times even to a seasoned fantasy vet like myself (The scene where King Acrisius is blasted by Zeus is confusing--I thought he was fried/burned by the bolt but he was actually transformed. And just why does he start calling himself Calibos anyway?). There's far too much shaky-cam action, the supporting characters are all much, much more interesting and entertaining than the hero, and the main villain and the Kraken itself don't get a chance to do a whole lot in the climax, but I found that there was still a sense of fun that I latched onto even while I was hoping for more or better from the movie overall. I suspect that it will play better for upon repeat viewings, much like those fantasy B-movies of the '80s do today.

Sounds like a decent rental at best. Not really theater quality stuff. My buddy saw it in 3D and said that even that was sub-par. Don't really mind waiting for the Blu-Ray so it's cool.

Sounds like a decent rental at best. Not really theater quality stuff. My buddy saw it in 3D and said that even that was sub-par. Don't really mind waiting for the Blu-Ray so it's cool.

The 3D was added as an afterthought with the success of Avatar. The best way to see this movie would be in 2D. I'd say it's worth catching in the theater but probably not at full price--certainly not at premium 3D pricing.

"The Boondock Saints 2". It was a good Sequel IMHO. Same sick humor and good stylish action as in part 1, but just more of it. Compare "A better Tomorrow" to its sequel. There are also options for another part.
It could also have been 10-15 minutes shorter though. 1.52 hours running time seemed a bit long for the plot.

The head spouting spider legs & then walking away is still one of the rare scenes that freaks me out yet. :eek:

That and Palmer's quote are perfect for the film.......they're all watching Norris' head walking away and Palmer(who was one of the Things' ironically....:eek::eek:) says, "You gotta' be ******* kidding!" :cool: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bubba Ho-tep

Finally got around to seeing this after having it on my Netflix queue for almost five years. Would have liked more horror elements and humor but I still enjoyed it overall.

I watched the new short film take on Harrison Bergeron, called: 2081, which was quite accurate to the short story although the acting was a bit subpar, and have now gone on to a marathon viewing of Babylon 5 once again!

Prince_of_darkness.jpg

Prince of Darkness. Another John Carpenter film that, over time, has become a cult classic(which could describe most of Carpenter's films if you think about it....... :eek::eek::eek::eek: ).

At least we now know what the Devil looks like......former VP Cheney--; I mean, a green mass of swirling liquid sealed in a hermetically sealed container........okay, it is former VP Cheney; who can tell the difference? :D :D :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Prince of Darkness

Prince_of_darkness.jpg

Prince of Darkness. Another John Carpenter film that, over time, has become a cult classic(which could describe most of Carpenter's films if you think about it....... :eek::eek::eek::eek: ).

At least we now know what the Devil looks like......former VP Cheney--; I mean, a green mass of swirling liquid sealed in a hermetically sealed container........okay, it is former VP Cheney; who can tell the difference? :D :D :eek::eek::eek::eek:

You made my day, thanks MLITTLE2005 (y)

It's funny because I just got done watching Prince of Darkness about ten minutes ago with my brother who had never seen it before. He really dug it and so did I, maybe even more so than the first time I watched it which was over five years ago.

Possible podcast material.

For me it is one of those movies that I can never remember the name of but like watching it. Trying to describe to people as "It's the one in the church with the green slime.... with the guy from Simon & Simon... and they send a video of themselves from the future back to present day in their dreams..." and it is about there that they start going giving me that look. :ROFLMAO:

Oh... and last DVD was Michael Clayton with George Clooney & Tom Wilkinson. The story meanders a bit and it isn't until the end that everything sort of comes together but it wasn't a bad movie. Tom Wilkinson does a fine job and George Clooney shows that he can be serious actor when he wants to be.

I've just seen the movie MOON with Sam Rockwell, I thought it was an excellent sci-fi drama with some nice special effects. AND! I recently became a RED DWARF fan, I've found a piece of sci-fi "gold", it's funny and well written. :smiley:

Back