What have you seen recently?

I've just seen the movie MOON with Sam Rockwell, I thought it was an excellent sci-fi drama with some nice special effects.
I have Moon in my Netflix queue waiting to arrive. Really looking forward to that one.

AND! I recently became a RED DWARF fan, I've found a piece of sci-fi "gold", it's funny and well written. :smiley:
Red Dwarf is one of those shows that you either 'get' and find it hilarious or you look at it and go 'what-the-heck?' -- Fortunately for me I loved that series and tracked down every episode to watch while me wife didn't make it through just watching a single episode. :D

Cargo. Cargo (2009) - IMDb

A fair film. Made quite well. Shows the Germans can produce something quite watchable that the solely Hollywood types will never watch. What was quite interesting was that the film did not seem german culture orientated. It was universal and definitely worth a watch, as good as Moon I'd say.

Moon, Red Dwarf and Netflix

Kevin: "I have Moon in my Netflix queue waiting to arrive. Really looking forward to that one."

Starbeast: "What a coincidence, I watched it on my computer from Netflix, they alowed me to see it instantly so I didn't have to wait. I thought perhaps they'd allow you to do the same, unless it is set up differently where you are I suppose. Roughly about a tenth of their movies and tv shows you can watch instantly on your computer screen, or you can get a box component from them and watch every thing they have anytime you want."

Kevin: "Red Dwarf is one of those shows that you either 'get' and find it hilarious or you look at it and go 'what-the-heck?' -- Fortunately for me I loved that series and tracked down every episode to watch while me wife didn't make it through just watching a single episode." :D

Starbeast: "I agree, RED DWARF quotes alot of movies, books and current events of the past, and if you haven't seen many movies or read enough classic books you could miss the jokes at times. But for me, my curiousity lead me to finally check it out this wacky series and now I watch it on Netflix and put myself in a good mood. And yes I too know friends and family who can't get into the show even if they've seen alot of movies and read alot of books, but that's ok cause we don't all like the same things, that's understandable."

"Kick ***". Well, for me being something of a fanboy (like most people here, I guess ;)), it kicked ***! Big Time! Hitgirl(!) rocks! Just don't ask about any moral dilemma...:eek::D

What a coincidence, I watched it on my computer from Netflix, they alowed me to see it instantly so I didn't have to wait. I thought perhaps they'd allow you to do the same, unless it is set up differently where you are I suppose. Roughly about a tenth of their movies and tv shows you can watch instantly on your computer screen, or you can get a box component from them and watch every thing they have anytime you want.
I actually stream Netflix to my X-Box 360 but I only have a DSL connection so the speed is sometimes choppy (especially on the days when I am at home working remotely) so I usually only watch the B-movie type stuff like that. For stuff that I really want to see I'll wait for the DVD to arrive by mail so I can watch it cleanly as possible.
"Kick ***". Well, for me being something of a fanboy (like most people here, I guess ;)), it kicked ***! Big Time! Hitgirl(!) rocks! Just don't ask about any moral dilemma...:eek::D
Odd... I didn't even remember adding the word "ass" to the censor list. Removed. :smiley: Kick Ass is definitely another movie that I'll be catching eventually this summer on DVD.

Moon was really solid considering the budget they had to work with. Definitely need to see Kick Ass as well, heard nothing but good things about it.

Starchaser

Anyone out there like mild comedy horror movies with gorey zombies, see: DEAD SNOW (warning: graphic violence), I watched it a second time.

And if anyone likes classic animated sci-fi fantasy adventure, I just rewatched: STARCHASER: The LEGEND of ORIN (1982) After George Lucus made this movie he felt it wasn't something he wanted to put his name on, he didn't think anyone was going to like it. So, he released it on cable tv without his name on it. I really like the film, George shouldn't of doubted his writing talent and directng skill.

1988They_Live_poster300.jpg

They Live. Another John Carpenter classic combining elements of horror, science fiction and dark comedy(case in point.......some of the scenes at the end of the film when the aliens are exposed are hilarious, 'wrong time, wrong place' scenes........ :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ).

If nothing else, after watching this film you'll never look at sunglasses again in quite the same way as before................. :D :D :eek:

Watched The Ghost and the Darkness and Dragonslayer in HD via Netflix streaming. Podcasts recorded and on the way for both.

Relic_ver1.jpg

The Relic

Pretty decent film. Not as good as the novel(what movie based off of a novel ever is.....) but not bad; as one of the movie reviews at the time put it, "It's Alien in a museum." :cool: :eek: :eek:

Caught two movies at different ends of the spectrum.

First up was Bell, Book, and Candle. These days it would have been considered a so-called "RomCom", Romatic Comedy, but there really wasn't much anything funny about it. It caught my attention for the the witchcraft angle of it (and Kim Novak), and I am just a sucker for old movies (1958 in this case), so I ended up watching the whole thing. The pairing of Jimmy Stewart & Kim Novak seemed a little odd and the ending, of Gillian having a total personality change from an apparent free-spirit to a stereotypical 'ideal' woman of the times, would be the exact opposite of today's movies. Heck, her pet cat even leaves her. Not a bad movie, and in its own time it may have been seen differently, but in 2010 it's an odd film.

Next up was Mutant Chronicles. Cliff notes would be a steampunk-ish movie set several hundred years in the future where humanity is fighting a war against a mysterious army of mutants. The war has been going for so long that the actual details of the mutants have passed from facts to mythology of the religion at the time. A group of soldiers are paired with some religious monks in a quest to go into the heart of the mutant's territory to destroy them using something that may or may not be weapon. Visually, think of "World War II Meets Zombies", along with some steampunk-ish elements like coal powered flying ships, with a pretty mediocre storyline. The very last scene of the US cable version invokes a "Huh?" moment so it came as no surprise to find out that the European versions, where the movie originated from, cut the scene. Didn't even cut it as a Popcorn Movie for me.

The Relic

Pretty decent film. Not as good as the novel(what movie based off of a novel ever is.....) but not bad; as one of the movie reviews at the time put it, "It's Alien in a museum." :cool: :eek: :eek:
Ooooh, I havent' seen that one in a few years. Will make for a nice addition to my Netflix queue.

Went to the cinema with my son last night to watch Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. We were going to watch Iron Man 2 but this had just started and I'd heard Iron Man 2 was a talkie, with very few action scenes that my son would appreciate during this treat for him.

The "cinematic" experience was ruined by a too small screen, inadequate sound system that only came from the front and with oppressive mid range, lacking bass and treble. Then the overwhelming stench of being used as a toilet put me off.

But, on to the film! It was alright I guess, nothing absolutely major. There was a mix of myth, period drama, modern jokes and love story. The time traveling elements were done nicely, there was plenty of fighting (not too gruesome, but stage managed quite well) and the stunts were just the right side of ludicrous. It kept floating in and out of the style of a Jackie Chan movie. Effects in some scenes were incredible, in most of the others a bit low, and a bit inconsistent. Overall the film is worth seeing, but the experience I suffered in that small cinema room made me wish I'd watched it on dvd at home.

Legion and Daybreakers on Blu-Ray.

Both were disappointing to be sure but they also had so much unfulfilled potential which was the real source of my dissatisfaction.

Back