Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

What is Alias?

Discussion in 'Alias' started by the_alliance, Mar 21, 2003.

?
  1. It is a celebration of women

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It degrades women

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. the_alliance

the_alliance Rocket Ranger

my friend asked me what i thought of Alias, as in does it celebrate the ability of women (ie. Syd can do everything Bond can do as good if not better) or is Alias degrading to women, because Syd sometimes has to seduce (or at least use her sex appeal) the men to get her mission accomplished?

i'm perplexed at this conundrum.

2. SydB_JenG

SydB_JenG Rocket Ranger

Syd is definitely a role-model I mean...she can do anything and the fact that she uses her body to seduce men for missions is a display of her self-confidence...I can't believe you could think Syd is degrating. I'm outraged...lol no j/k

3. Kalan

Kalan Rocket Ranger

ok i didn't vote b/c i don't think it's either. the fact that syd uses her feminine wiles in the show is actually pretty realistic. there's actually a term for this in the intelligence field: "honey pot". female sovient agents (think kgb) used to be called "swallows"...actually i bet the term still applies. if you ever get to dc, check out the international spy museum. there are some fun facts and exhibits about that!

4. SydB_JenG

SydB_JenG Rocket Ranger

Wow! I'm impressed that you knew all that! and i love your avatar!...sorry off topic

5. Victoria King

Victoria King Rocket Ranger

i think she is a role modle becuase yes she does seduce them but then she kicks their a@$!
    and thats alot better than in WWI(i just did a project on espionage in WWI) and the Germans would recruit women if they were gorgeous and were prostitutes and thats how they got into enemy lines! and thankfully sydney has never had to be a prostitute but just acting like someone's friend!LOL

6. Kalan

Kalan Rocket Ranger

yeah i'm all about the espionage. i'd like to be a spy. i usually get something along those lines on aptitude tests and things like that..."naval intlligence" or something...so whatever i say i'm doing in ten years, NOT TRUE. i'm a spy! :ph34r: glad you were impressed ^_^

7. SydB_JenG

SydB_JenG Rocket Ranger

LOL!!...Ya Syd isn't anything, but a heroine and the writers try to portray her as such...if anything is degrating about the show its how insignificant i feel when i compare myself to sydney, but i'm trying to be like her and its making positive changes in my life!

8. Victoria King

i know, i cant speak twenty languages whenever someone says you know german right? are you kidding me?!LOL!

9. GO Syd

GO Syd Rocket Ranger

my opinion is neither but whatever and viki how many languages can u speak ( i can speak two)

10. Victoria King

me!LOL, um one fluenty and very very extremely little of french! Bonjour, je'mapple Vicki!(i think i put the accent appropiately, see how little i know!)oh j'aime alias!

11. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu Rocket Ranger

It's slightly both, but more of the first.

12. nancee

nancee Rocket Ranger

dude! it makes girls look so much kooler..what im saying is that there is a woman that is as good as any male hero....syd is so kool...to have a herione as the star f a tv show is so kool...woo! go syd!

13. Flames24

Flames24 Rocket Ranger

I think the fact that Sydney can find her way out of any situation and can defend herself is so awesome. It makes her so much more fun to watch b/c we always know she'll find a way out of any situation while on a mission.

14. liliana

liliana Rocket Ranger

Syd's a role model out of the two of them i would say it's a celebration of women.I agree with Kalan

15. JoeysHero

JoeysHero Rocket Ranger

I definatly dont think that it degrades women, it makes people realise that woman can do as many things as men can do, like Bond.

16. Bondgal2007

Bondgal2007 Rocket Ranger

I think that SYd is a great role=model. I mean you don't see many women in that world. I wanna do like my family has done for years.

17. GO Syd

GO Syd Rocket Ranger

huh what do u mean by that

18. Elizabeth_dj

Elizabeth_dj Rocket Ranger

I think thta alias shows womenly power w/o being over ruling any other characters.

19. SydB_JenG

SydB_JenG Rocket Ranger

If you say Sydney is degrading women...I don't think you've seen all the other *hit that's on TV...those women make me sick the types of things they do...Sydney is a goddess compared to the rest of the TV world

20. Chanel

Chanel Rocket Ranger

i think that it shows how a woman can really kick butt. aka showing that women can do the same things as bond.