What is Bio Ware doing with the HJ engine?

blur

Cadet
So Bioware Austin has licensed the HJ engine... anyone want to speculate what they're making with it? Some people suggest SWG2, set during the old republic, a la KOTOR. Other people suggest that's too obvious... what do YOU think?

They have a few titles they could make into MMOs easily. Star Wars would be the most welcomed I'm sure. Imagine with the hero engine leveling up your light saber rather than EQ1ing some quests to put together some odd ass one?
Jade Empire was also a massive BioWare title I believe could drop into the surging martial arts MMO wave just fine and reach out to a niche. For some odd reason tho' I do believe it will not be a High Fantasy setting they'll use the engine for. So I'm thinking maybe something more horror themed would be nice.
Smash me some zombies.

Dirk Gently said:
Well, we'd both like to see SWG2... but they'd need to hire us to make that work out... ;)
Yeah, we could start by digging up all the original SOE dev forum posts which actually all came true. "Don't make Jedi playable at all..."; "Set this game during the Old Republic if you MUST have Jedi..."; "Make sure the GCW is playable from Day one..."; etc, etc.

Luciro said:
They have a few titles they could make into MMOs easily. Star Wars would be the most welcomed I'm sure. Imagine with the hero engine leveling up your light saber rather than EQ1ing some quests to put together some odd ass one?
Aye, and it actually FITS a lot better with SW lore, to boot!

Luciro said:
Jade Empire was also a massive BioWare title I believe could drop into the surging martial arts MMO wave just fine and reach out to a niche. For some odd reason tho' I do believe it will not be a High Fantasy setting they'll use the engine for. So I'm thinking maybe something more horror themed would be nice.
Smash me some zombies.
Interesting. Yes, Jade Empire could spawn a very interesting title. The mind really boggles what these guys could be up to!

I'm glad they got ahold of the engine. There's a tad bit of fear that they'd just make a HJ clone, but I mean HJ is picking up fresh talent and letting a lot of players decide their content which is great.
Bioware's proven in their single player titles they know how to put compelling quests together.
A western would be cool, I just dunno how massive the Old West really was tho'? Maybe something like TriGun, Fantasy Western. ;)
Wonder why there's not a lot of spy vs spy titles out there either? AO and Matrix Online touched in the genre, but I'd like to see some Metal Gear vs Splinter Cell stuff going on. LoL

I would fungasm for a mmorpg based on a world like "Trigun." Western, with a touch of futuristic fantasy. Maybe HJ will have some towns/worlds like this?

I hope they make a totally new game, unrestricted by premade stories and boundries.

While they did a great job with Knights of the old republic, i would rather they didnt do it as an mmo. Even jade empire was great but i would love to see something new, unique, and something they can expand on in great detail.

Bioware hasnt made anything i disliked playing as yet, i have faith they will do soemthing great.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of Destroy All Humans sort of MMO in the works. But I'm thinking it will be an original title. I hope they don't do a friggin new Star Wars MMO. I could stand for an original space MMO, but I'm so sick of Star Wars.

I could go for a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Discworld MMO :smiley:

A proper Star Wars MMO would still go over big. I would also be overjoyed to see a really decent space based MMo was well.
Two canidates immediately suggest themselves. One based on GDW's Traveler RPG ( I loved that game) and one based on BattleTech/Mechwarrior(I loved this game as well).
There's loads of background available for fleshing out a Mechwarrior MMO and a Traveler MMO would be a lot more flexible in terms of canon but still ots of source material to draw from.

Rumor has it, Microsoft has been in the works on a massive multiplayer SYSTEM to place in the next generation of MechWarrior titles. Lil' birdy says it'll probably just be a multiplatform (PS3, 360, PC) multimap multiplayer tracking system where clans fight for territory. \m/
Just, this has been the rumor for years now.

Oh geez, it's been so long, that I forgot all about Traveller! Just loved the game!

I too would love to see a well done sci-fi / space game. Something that isn't totally combat centric though. Crafting has always appealed to me, just not the way it is usually implemented, if at all. A post apocalyptic world in need of rebuilding or a new colony must have its vases and overstuffed sofas, otherwise what's the point??

I agree with deserttfoxx. As neat as some of the current games/fantasy worlds would be as an MMO, I'd really like to see something new come out. That's one of the reasons I'm here on the HJ forum. FFXI, WoW, D&D, SW, and all the others out there have built off of well established titles or worlds. Not that I really dislike those worlds, but I'd honestly like to see something a little less tried and true come out. In this day and age, innovation really isn't rewarded, while sticking with a less exciting but battle tested setting is the safest economic bet. The same reason that hollywood stagnates is the reason that MMOs seem to be headed in that direction as well.

Back